$27,000 Too High for an '03 Cobra??

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
What does that mean? Are you saying that the people on this site don't know what the cars are worth, or are you saying this site generates the best deals on Cobras?

The fact of the matter is, the car is damaged goods as far as I'm concerned (the entire engine was replaced, I'd want a hell of allot more info on that before even considering it) and even if it wasn't the Private Party value is, at best, $24,000. This guy is gonna have to pay $3k over that. I can see paying over book value for a car that is in short numbers to begin with and almost impossible to find for sale, but this site alone is a perfect example that they are not impossible to find. Ford made plenty of them and plenty of them are in the used car market.

DomesticAbuse

Established Member
PistolWhip said:
What does that mean? Are you saying that the people on this site don't know what the cars are worth, or are you saying this site generates the best deals on Cobras?

The fact of the matter is, the car is damaged goods as far as I'm concerned (the entire engine was replaced, I'd want a hell of allot more info on that before even considering it) and even if it wasn't the Private Party value is, at best, $24,000. This guy is gonna have to pay $3k over that. I can see paying over book value for a car that is in short numbers to begin with and almost impossible to find for sale, but this site alone is a perfect example that they are not impossible to find. Ford made plenty of them and plenty of them are in the used car market.

whether it's mint condition or not the price is always to high here 95% of the time, anywhere else they are selling for more even know i'd love to get one for 23k-24k if i was looking. Just saying you want a cheap cobra get it here you wanna sell it for a decent price go elsewhere and do it.

MTI LS1

tripsober said:
that be a good price anywhere BUT this site...........

Wow....took awhile. Dont listen to anyone on this site about selling anything, they all want the absolute lowest price all the time no matter what. And....they FOCK the market when they make people sell their cars for far less than they should. For some reason people actually oblige them.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

MTI LS1

PistolWhip said:

People on this site are CHEAP, and thats my opinion. They want a bargain deal from everyone, and if someone wants a little more for their emmacualte, modded vehicle then everyone jumps in and says its worth only 23K b/c a new motor was put in.

CaptNemo

Evil Genius
Established Member
BigZach said:
Wow....took awhile. Dont listen to anyone on this site about selling anything, they all want the absolute lowest price all the time no matter what. And....they FOCK the market when they make people sell their cars for far less than they should. For some reason people actually oblige them.

That's known as "Whoring the Market". WalMart and the other "Box Stores" have raised the art to a science.
What a lot of this "Low Ball Pricing" is from motivated sellers looking to bailout of a car payment as quickly as possible (for whatever reason ). Are there deals out there ? Sure, but don't expect everyone to stoop to the lowest pricing level to keep from getting a screenfull of adverse comments about a realistic price. You need to go check NADA and KBB .coms to check and see what these cars are worth outside of SVTP.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to take this thread too off it's track, but the MSRP on the Shelby will be $38,500 + or - a few $'s for dealer added options and the interior trim package. (I won't go into the basis of this claim, but save this thread in you UserCP and when it hits the dealer floors, we'll see how close I am ;-) )
Once the first run is swallowed up by the rich and famous that HAVE TO HAVE one, the dealers will not be able to sell the remaining 8-9k cars that Ford is producing at a mark up. It's just not going to happen. Regular enthusiasts won't spend $50k+ plus on a Mustang when they can get a Vette for that. No Mustang has ever been a $50k car.
When the hype dies down, the car will be sold under (or just at)$40k. That is not a far cry from the cost of a new 03/04 Cobra when you factor in the value of a $ then and now.
I'm not saying that the people looking for used Cobras are going to be the same people looking for the Shelby. I'm saying the exact opposite. When current Cobra owners see that they can have the Shelby for only a few more $'s a month added to their car payment, the # of used Cobras on the market will go up and the value will go down. That's just how supply and demand works. Of course I don't mean to say that EVERY SINGLE Cobra owner is going to trade their Terminator for a Shelby, but I do see enough of the Terminator guys trading up to effect the value of the 03/04.

The thing that is different with the 07 Shelby is that any Ford dealer can stock and sell them, as opposed to the Cobra where it was only SVT dealers.

Consequently, the initial demand will be much higher as every mom and pop Ford store will want at least one to put on their showroom floor. My information is that even the high volume dealers will only get a few units (less than 10) the first year that that will keep the additional markup high.

I fully expect to see Shelby's on the showroom floor at most dealers priced at $50k. The worst part about the whole thing is that they will probably get iit. The Ford dealers and the initial Shelby buyers both feel that the Shelby name makes the car special. Why spend $50k on a run of the mill 'vette when you can have a Shelby.

Now to get back on the initial subject of this thread - $27k for a Cobra coupe that has had serious warranty work done (engine) seems about $2k or more too high. To get $27k, the car must really be low miles and totally stock or have $10k worth of mods. Now if you look in Autotrader online you see Cobra's at dealers with pricetags of $30k or more, but I doubt that any of them actually sell at that price, unless they are 'verts or mystichrome.

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
check out auto trader to see what cars in comparable condition go for...and get the best price possible or move on to the next (many cars out on the market!)

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I don't think 27K is too much .. hell I am trying to get 28.9k for mine .. I doubt I would go much lower ... You just need to hang in there and advertise the car .. for me .. I am not in any hurry to sell so I'll wait .. .. depending on how fast you want to sell a car though, you may have to drop in price if you don't get alot of interest.

The way I see it is the potential of these cars should help w/ the selling price (if the person buying would MOD anyway).

Crowley

SkipBuxton

Established Member
Bottom line ------ If you are comfortable with the car AND the Price, Buy it. I just bought an 03 10th anny torch red coupe - stock except for midpipe and catback, 8500 miles, for 26K. I can tell you KBB private part is 25550 here in Missouri. I truly believe I got a decent deal. Sure I could have tried to pull a CarMax and lowball him :nonono: - but I did not want to cause hard feelings. Anyway - I am confident someone would have bought the car within 30 days for the price I bought it for - And who knows more about the value of these cars than a true enthuiast !! ;-) Just my 2 cents -

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
I don't know, that seems a bit high to me. There are allot out there right now in the $24-25 range and the mods he has don't really up the value that much.
The mileage is low so that's kinda nice, but if it were me I'd hold out for a better deal. $27k is allot of money to spend on a three year old car that's value about to get a real reality check in a few months when the Shelby comes out. I'd bet that when that car hits the market, there is gonna be allot of Terminators in the used car market. Just a guess, but with Ford making 10k Shelbys, they are not going to as hard to get as everyone is making it seem.
I say pass and keep looking. He is gonna have a hard time getting $27k and will most likely come back to you in a few weeks when he gets desperate anyway.

i sure hope so because that's when im in the market!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
BigZach said:

Now that's the best advice yet! Don't listen to anyone here, just listen to all the Terminator owners that want you to pay as much money possible so that the value of their car goes up :rollseyes .
$27,000 is $3,000 over the BEST POSSIBLE private party value! and even at that I highly doubt the car is in "outstanding" condition after having a warranty motor put in it. There is no conspiracy here dude. No one is trying to hurt you by lowering the value of your car. It's just plain economic truth. CARS DON"T APPRECIATE IN VALUE until they are either classics or antiques, or they are limited production in VERY SMALL #'s. The 03 Cobra is neither.

I can understand the 03/04 owners being a little upset about their cars depreciating in value, but what the heck do you think is gonna happen? When you bought it, did you think it was going to go up in value? Like I said, I understand you want to get as much for you car as you can, but $3k over THE BEST POSSIBLE PRIVATE PARTY VALUE is not reasonable for a car that Ford made more than 13,000 of in 2003 alone (8394 Coupes and 5082 verts). The car is not rare, it's not hard to get and trust me when I say, mods NEVER help the value of a car (unless you find a buyer looking for exactly what you have) I know from experience on that one :( .
I can understand the 2004 being worth a few more bucks since obviously it's a year newer, it had no inherent issues like the early run 03's and in 04 there were only 5664 made worldwide. A little better production number if you want it to hold value. Even at that, the 03 and 04 where almost identical in every single aspect making it in the eye of the consumer, just 5664 more cars to choose from. I don't care what internet site you are on, $27,000 is too much for that car.

DSG_2003

Go Baby, Go...
Established Member
Well I really appreciate everyone's replies and ideas, Thank You for the help... Anyways, the guy came down $26,500 and we both kinda settled on it and I think I'm going to buy it. I'm sure I'm over paying for the car A LITTLE but from what the banks had to say about the price, the overall condition of car, fresh new engine and all the goodies included I don't think I'm over paying too much for a car I've wanted and waited literally years for. I still have to run a CarFax on it and talk to the bank. So hopefully in a week or so I'll be the proud new owner of my dream car!! Thanks everyone.

P.S. Did those Terminator Badges that you sometimes see on the center console come from the factory like that or are those add ons? Thanks

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Soon2BBlown, no one can argue with the last post you put up. The value of a car, or anything for that matter, basically all comes down to the buyers perception. If that particular car is what you say it is, "your dream car" than no one here can fault you for paying what you need to pay to get it in your possession. I am glad that you were able to make it happen. Enjoy the car and stop worrying about it's value. Maybe that's why I never REALLY get to enjoy my cars. I have had so many cars and all I ever care about is what the resale value is worth. Maybe if I would just stop being such a money whore, I'd have more time to have fun with my toys.
I envy your ability to see what you want and go get it no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread