28 spline

duane v

Established Member
Originally posted by Shangsta
duane i wanna get some slicks like your car. Would i need stringer halfshafts or will the stockers be fine
Actually theyre not slicks, those are my street tires:-D BFG DR's 315/60/15's and they will break the stock set up if you air them down and launch at 5000 rpm plus...DA Snake Boy!!

Kazmonator

Established Member
Originally posted by forged5.4dohc
what would be the cheapest way to set up a 98 solid axel to handle 500hp?
Superior 31 splines axels with a Powertrax Locker. Little noisy on tight slow corners but, soon as you hit the straight, it GRIPS with no SLIPS.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
Originally posted by duane v
Actually theyre not slicks, those are my street tires:-D BFG DR's 315/60/15's and they will break the stock set up if you air them down and launch at 5000 rpm plus...DA Snake Boy!!
I can vouch for this...I learned the hard way...lol. Oh wait it cost me about 1800 to get my rear the way I wanted it but seems like the rear just keeps giving me problems after problems...now that I think about it...I am mad!!! All that money and I have a rear that leaks no ABS in the rear and now it makes noises when you make a turn....errrggghhh....I will tell you this get a garage that knows what the **** they are doing.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by juiced96snake
I can vouch for this...I learned the hard way...lol. Oh wait it cost me about 1800 to get my rear the way I wanted it but seems like the rear just keeps giving me problems after problems...now that I think about it...I am mad!!! All that money and I have a rear that leaks no ABS in the rear and now it makes noises when you make a turn....errrggghhh....I will tell you this get a garage that knows what the **** they are doing.

I have the exact same setup in the rear as you, minus the c-clip elims. Mine is noisy when I go in reverse, backing out of a driveway. I'm not to happy about it either.

Kazmonator

Established Member
My you do seem to have some problems with yours. For me to get mine done with Powertrax, new axels and the 3.73 rear end with NO leaks and a fully functioning ABS was about 1600 Canadian Dollars. The only problem with Lockers is they are Noisy. Some times i feel like going back to the LSD seeing as i rearly if ever go to a race track.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I lost the ABS because of the c-clips. When I snapped my axle I saw what happens if you have c-clip axles...no thanks. I might be selling my whole set up and buying a 9" rear.....just tired of messing with it

Kazmonator

Established Member
I lost the ABS because of the c-clips. When I snapped my axle I saw what happens if you have c-clip axles...no thanks. I might be selling my whole set up and buying a 9" rear.....just tired of messing with it
Sorry, i missunderstood what you wrote earlier. I upgraded mine before they broke. I did not realise you snapped yours first then upgraded to 31 splines.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
snapping an axle is not cool...trust me. if it werent for the caliper holding it in it would have flew out. The braket was bent and the rotor was trashed. wheel was sticking out 3 inches past the fender. The rear binded up so bad that when they pulled it down to the first turn around the BFG's were just being dragged along.

When I first got it back from the clown that installed everthing the rear whinned so loud I couldnt hear myself think and it made cluncking sounds when you snapped the throttle or lifted quickly. Well I take it right back and tell him "wtf?" well turns out the back lash was set incorrectly. Along with the noise there was a leak around the pinion. So he fixes the backlash and replaces the pinion seal and no whine but leak still there. Take it back again he just puts in a new pinion seal again...no leak for a day. Well I am tired of having my car in the shop for weeks on end so I figure something happened to the pinion when I broke the axle...like it got warped or something....At the same time I was planning on upgrading to a T-56 in the near future so I had 4.30's installed by a different guy and first shot no leaks no whine no nothing.....it was the way it was supposed to be. Well all is fine and Dandy for a few months and now it makes a noise when you make turns....I dont know what the noise sounds like because I havent driven my car for myself for the last 6 months ( I 'm on a six month deployment on a US Navy ship) Well it's going back in the shop once again.....I will let you know what this "sound" is and what caused it when I find out.

Total amount spent on rear so far $3000
Eaton
31 spline moser axles
moser c-clip elims
4.30 gears
misc parts
Mega byte Jr upper and lowers
and countless amount of hours in labor charges.....errrrrr

So like I said before...get someone that knows what the F@#$ they are doing.

Kazmonator

Established Member
snapping an axle is not cool...trust me. if it werent for the caliper holding it in it would have flew out. The braket was bent and the rotor was trashed. wheel was sticking out 3 inches past the fender. The rear binded up so bad that when they pulled it down to the first turn around the BFG's were just being dragged along.

When I first got it back from the clown that installed everthing the rear whinned so loud I couldnt hear myself think and it made cluncking sounds when you snapped the throttle or lifted quickly. Well I take it right back and tell him "wtf?" well turns out the back lash was set incorrectly. Along with the noise there was a leak around the pinion. So he fixes the backlash and replaces the pinion seal and no whine but leak still there. Take it back again he just puts in a new pinion seal again...no leak for a day. Well I am tired of having my car in the shop for weeks on end so I figure something happened to the pinion when I broke the axle...like it got warped or something....At the same time I was planning on upgrading to a T-56 in the near future so I had 4.30's installed by a different guy and first shot no leaks no whine no nothing.....it was the way it was supposed to be. Well all is fine and Dandy for a few months and now it makes a noise when you make turns....I dont know what the noise sounds like because I havent driven my car for myself for the last 6 months ( I 'm on a six month deployment on a US Navy ship) Well it's going back in the shop once again.....I will let you know what this "sound" is and what caused it when I find out.

Total amount spent on rear so far $3000
Eaton
31 spline moser axles
moser c-clip elims
4.30 gears
misc parts
Mega byte Jr upper and lowers
and countless amount of hours in labor charges.....errrrrr

So like I said before...get someone that knows what the F@#$ they are doing.
Thats a large sum of Money for a job Not done right.I had a leak on mine also , pinion seal was replaced twice but that was not the cause. The actual problem was the Rear Diff Cover had a small bend in it (due to lifting with a small hand jack ) fixed it with a 10mm socket and hammer.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I have a Ford Racing girdle instead of the stock cover but I could tell it was the pinion because it was spraying all over the place because it was getting slung by the driveshaft....it was just a little tiny leak but just enough to tick me off.

Any way I still recommend 31 spline axles.

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
Originally posted by duane v

how do they handle in rain?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I was quoted by my engine builder 500$ for a rearend that would break the transmission before it broke...

But I think I'll just go with a FMS 31 spline unit and stranger/moser axles (whichever is the cheapest...its the same thing).

Users who are viewing this thread