$29,290 New! Sad news for anyone thinking of selling their Cobra.

sn8kbite

Established Member
i dont expect any car to be a jesus chrisat car nor do i expect a car not to break at some point when pushed hard.I do however expect a brand new supposed performance oriented and built 35,000 dollar vehicle to go more than 5000 miles without having to replace every major driveline component in the car.
I shift the car at 5500-5700 RPM i dont run it to the redline when i race it.simply becasue in my opinion if you run it to 6 grand your wasting time becasue your not getting the car back into its optimum power band(i am speaking of the cobra not every car on the street or track)
I spent 2 years in Tech school to be a mechanic which i did for a living for 12 years so i dont need lectures about how every car has its problems.I did not buy the cobra to go to the grocery store or pick kids up from day care.
This car is intended to be a sports car and i drive it as such.
As far as someone elses abused race car goes,my plans are to purchase a rust free straight notchback,preferably with pro star wheels, and the basics already on the car.This will save me a couple thousand dollars once i start to refine the vehicle buy replacing the engine and transmission as well as rearend.
Having the basics such as a cage,fuel cell,fuel lines,control arms,X member,can save enormous amounts of cash once the rebuild process begins.
The cobra is not a very strong car,at least not drive train wise,the motor theoretically should be bullet proof but it is not,yes the motor is strong but it is plagued with little issues that can destroy an entire engine if not corrected.
These issues are known to ford however ford refuses to stand behind its products once again,refusing to warranty vehicles with any type of modification based on the premise of "well he has Nitto tires on the back therefore his warranty is null and void"
or "He installed a chip in the car..VOID"
on and on......My point is this car is not a good bang for the buck vehicle if you take the time to analyze the situation as a whole.
IMO if there is a TSB out on a vehicle which indicates there is a problem with a specific vehicle produced by any given manufacturer,That manufacturer should be required to mak ethe proper and necessary repairs to said vehicle regardless of any modifications the owner may have performed.
Yes the modifications theroitacally may have accelerated the failure of or breakage of said part or parts,however the fact remains it was a flaw in design and engineering not a result of abuse and neglect on the owners part.

Roush97

Established Member
There is only one engine problem with the 03 and that is the head tick. The stock oil pump gears are crap but they have been the same on every mod motor since the beginning and even though that sucks, you knew it before you bought the car. I do agree, however, that TSBs should be done regardless of mods to the car as long as the symptoms are present. Also, and for the last time, the Cobra is a street performance muscle car; not a drag strip queen. If you wanted a drag strip car you should have bought a fox or a newer GT rolling chassis and put an engine you liked and built into that.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
i dont expect any car to be a jesus chrisat car nor do i expect a car not to break at some point when pushed hard.I do however expect a brand new supposed performance oriented and built 35,000 dollar vehicle to go more than 5000 miles without having to replace every major driveline component in the car.
I shift the car at 5500-5700 RPM i dont run it to the redline when i race it.simply becasue in my opinion if you run it to 6 grand your wasting time becasue your not getting the car back into its optimum power band(i am speaking of the cobra not every car on the street or track)
I spent 2 years in Tech school to be a mechanic which i did for a living for 12 years so i dont need lectures about how every car has its problems.I did not buy the cobra to go to the grocery store or pick kids up from day care.
This car is intended to be a sports car and i drive it as such.
As far as someone elses abused race car goes,my plans are to purchase a rust free straight notchback,preferably with pro star wheels, and the basics already on the car.This will save me a couple thousand dollars once i start to refine the vehicle buy replacing the engine and transmission as well as rearend.
Having the basics such as a cage,fuel cell,fuel lines,control arms,X member,can save enormous amounts of cash once the rebuild process begins.
The cobra is not a very strong car,at least not drive train wise,the motor theoretically should be bullet proof but it is not,yes the motor is strong but it is plagued with little issues that can destroy an entire engine if not corrected.
These issues are known to ford however ford refuses to stand behind its products once again,refusing to warranty vehicles with any type of modification based on the premise of "well he has Nitto tires on the back therefore his warranty is null and void"
or "He installed a chip in the car..VOID"
on and on......My point is this car is not a good bang for the buck vehicle if you take the time to analyze the situation as a whole.
IMO if there is a TSB out on a vehicle which indicates there is a problem with a specific vehicle produced by any given manufacturer,That manufacturer should be required to mak ethe proper and necessary repairs to said vehicle regardless of any modifications the owner may have performed.
Yes the modifications theroitacally may have accelerated the failure of or breakage of said part or parts,however the fact remains it was a flaw in design and engineering not a result of abuse and neglect on the owners part.

Again, everything you state above is simply your opinion, and none of it is based on factual data............so stop whining already and stop trying to convince us that we all made mistakes by buying an 03 Cobtra.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
So whats the state of incentives on new 03's?? I didn't see any incentives on Cobra's from Ford. I this just dealers trying to make a deal or is this backed by Ford? For these prices it might make me think twice about waiting for an 04 or go used 03.

03'Darin

Established Member
I didn't buy a Cobra to be nice!!

I bought a Cobra for many reasons:
-it comes from the factory with 390hp/390tq of supercharged power.....that has a 3yr/36k warranty.
-it responds incredibly to mods.
-it's got a 6spd.
-IRS......awesome for the STREET and road course.
-Good brakes.
-The look of the Cobra. It looks like it's doing 100 when it's sitting still.
-The ability to spank the vast majority of anything else on the road.
-Bang for the buck. Where the hell else can you get a $35k car that handles the street, strip and road course the way this car does.
-It's a Mustang.

And I'm sure there are several other reasons I just can't think of right now.

I have the tape creep on the rear spoiler, sloppy drive line, very slight engine tick and had the rear end pop when turning over bumps (went away when I put on my MM full length subs). But ya know what.....every time I drive this car I smile so hard my face almost cracks. The car was $35 grand.........not a $200k Ferrari.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Re: Easy Does it.

Originally posted by mike69440
As the starter of this thread and being soured by my after sales expeiences particularily, and along the quality problems too many Fords seem to endure, I still think some people are too critical of the Cobra.

Over-all it is a damn nice package, and I bought it for the HP/dollar ratio. I would have paid a bit more to have Japanese quality, but not much more. Sad thing is the some penny pinching is what hurts this car from true greatness.

For example, the 350Z overall is a nicer car, so if you bought a Cobra to be nice, well you did not make the best choice.

Time for a show of hands, here. Who bought a Cobra to be nice??

Not me.

Mike69440

This to me is incomprehensible, the 350Z is nowhere near the car the 03 Cobra is. My best friend has a 350z, unfortunately. Not only does he have his share of minor problems, (e.g. squeaks, rattles, lousy stereo, poor visibility, lack of cargo area etc. etc.) his car will never, ever be able to match the fun factor that I have already experienced in the my 03 Cobra.

A nicer car? You mean a Ricer car. Personally, I don't see japanese having the big quality edge. And I prefer keeping my dollars in America. My Lincoln Navigator has been flawless. My Cobra the same. But I think I understand that you acknowledge that the 03 Cobra is bad assed and on that we agree. So be it.

:beer:

Last edited:

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Again, everything you state above is simply your opinion, and none of it is based on factual data............so stop whining already and stop trying to convince us that we all made mistakes by buying an 03 Cobtra.

I believe in free speech, on the other hand I also would like to see valid, factual and rational posts on the forums. Mark, I don't think the guy you are referring to above is rational or sane. He is delusional and negative beyond belief.

I am sick of reading his posts and hope that there is some means of using the forum tools to wipe his negative babble off the forum, at least in my own browser. Someone who is so deranged that they come to a place where at least 90% of the members are blissfully happy with their cars, and rant and rave and try to convince everyone they own a POS, well... he needs help... Unfortunately, more than we can offer in a reply in a thread. More than Ford could offer in warranty service. Let us pray.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
fb14bfd5.jpg

chip

Established Member
if these guys are pissed now... just wait till the 05 comes out. any 03's left on the lot will be going for pennies.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by chip
if these guys are pissed now... just wait till the 05 comes out. any 03's left on the lot will be going for pennies.

It's all supply and demand. How do you think the t-bird owners feel that bought those cars for 10-20K over sticker two years ago. If you don't want to pay the price for a new product when it comes out.....sit around and watch everyone that does enjoy the sh!t out em'.......and when the demand drops off and the prices fall, get your toy and play with it. If I would have waited until now looking for a rebate (not in my wildest dream would I have thought the 03' Cobra would see ANY amount of rebate this year). I would just continue waiting for an 05' (I'm sure they'll put big rebates on those haha).....oh well if I'm waiting that long then I may as well just wait until the 06' Cobra gets released and of couse then I better just wait until the rebates come out on those...........and by then I could be dead and won't have to come up with more excuses why I shouldn't spend the money for what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread