2v vs. 3v for towing questions.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
o.k., so I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I will ask it here. I am looking for people that have ACTUALY towed with a 2v and a 3v 5.4l F-150. I can look up the stats and figures myself and SEE that the 3v has a higher total capacity, but my drving impressions don't support that at all.

Mind you, I am talking about the 150's I have DRIVEN with, not towed with. Obviously, you can actualy tow with more in the 3v trucks, but I am not talking about total capacity. I am alking about driving feel and ability to merge in traffic.

I tow regularly with an 05 F-150 5.4 and it is sluggish to say the least when actualy spurred to do anything. Pulling away from red lights is no problem, but if you want any get up and go, you need to look elsewhere. Now I will say, we have had the problems with this one that many hae with the 05's, but it was fixed at one point and I feel that should have been representative of it's performance. (of course now the problem is back)

I have test driven a 03 5.4 with the crew cab (the 05 is the super cab) and the 03 feels much faster. The 03's are generaly lighter so that account for some of the feel, but again, I am looking for people that can tell me 1st hand which would be better for overall feel and what to expect.

I am looking to buy one or the other soon so any help will be useful.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
From my experience pulling a 5,000 trailer with my uncle's 2001 supercrew, the 2v doesn't have the power that my 3v has. It didn't feel very strong going up hills on the interstate when we drove back from our hunting camp in Mississippi. I'd suggest you get a programmer like an Edge Evolution to improve towing performance on your 3v. This is just my experience so hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You can't really compare the engines fairly because of the trucks they come wrapped in. The 04+ is a much better truck than its predecessor. Both are good engines and can tow well, but the 04+ truck has a better frame, brakes, suspension, etc. All that equipment makes it the better tow vehicle. If you really want to be impressed with the 5.4 drive an 09+ with the 6R80 tranny.

On a side note. If you want to liven up your 05 and get rid of its sluggish nature get a tune in it. We put a 93 octane tune from Amazon in my friend's F-150 and it was hard to believe it was the same truck.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Do you know anyone with an actual dyno result from reprogramming the computer? I see that the Edge claims another 35 hp/50ft-lbs, but I cannot imagine that is anywhere near what you are going to see at the wheels.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That seems a bit exaggerated. The biggest thing you get from the tune is getting rid of the throttle lag and trans sloppiness.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I think that would probaly be worth the effort and money in itself. The transmission does seem to hunt around and not want to drop to the appropriate gear when you mash it.

Do the traditional bolt-ons do anything for these engines like they do for the 4.6l 3v? I am talking headers, mid pipe, maybe pulley's, and a CAI. Since I am here, what do these (in 2wd) put down at the tires? I would guess in the 250-260 range due to what I have seen other cars make, but I am sure a truck drivetrain saps more power than a passenger car's.

Last edited:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I think that would probaly be worth the effort and money in itself. The transmission does seem to hunt around and not want to drop to the appropriate gear when you mash it.

Do the traditional bolt-ons do anything for these engines like they do for the 4.6l 3v? I am talking headers, mid pipe, maybe pulley's, and a CAI. Since I am here, what do these (in 2wd) put down at the tires? I would guess in the 250-260 range due to what I have seen other cars make, but I am sure a truck drivetrain saps more power than a passenger car's.

First off, i just sold my 2 valve 99 150 ext cab 4x4. It was a good truck, 200k miles and still on the original everything. Trans Axles Engine.... Was an alright truck but would kick out of OD when you were on the highway and it encountered any type of hill. My boat is a 17' stratos Bass boat single axle 135 mercury. Its a fairly light boat. Probably 4000 lbs total with trailer. On long road trips, i would get around 12-13 mpg pulling the boat around 75 mph.
My new truck is an 03 S.Crew 4x4 and it has not kicked out of OD yet while pulling the boat. Matter of fact, i hardly feel it back there. Some of the things that drive me nuts on the new truck can all be cured by an aftermarket tuner.
Problem number one- while driving at highway speeds. It you mat the accellerator pedal to the floor and lift back up, the enging makes no rpm changes. It does not kick down out of OD, and the RPMS may come up 2-300 rpms total. Its very sluggish!
Problem number two- this is directly related to number one, but has to be explained seperately. In the winter i noticed this issue more severely. Driving around a corner with snow and ice on the ground, you will typically have your foot off the accell pedal, when you reach the apex of the corner, typically you will gently power out of the corner. With this truck, when you reach the apex of the corner, you press down on the pedal and nothing happens for the first half second. You think will maybe i didn't press down far enough (Electronic throttle Pedal) So, you press a little harder, and the next thing you know, you've got to steer into a power slide. It pisses me of to no extent when that happens.

Onto the CAI question. On my 5.4, i really cant see how an aftermarket assembly will provide any more efficiency. The truck is equipped with a decent CAI from the factory. The filter element is extremely easy to service. I can't see how it can be impoved upon. Definitely not worth a 200 dollar aftermarket CAI.
Make sure that you don't put any larger tire on the truck than what it came with, These trucks need all the gearing they can get. Other than the lack of scavenging ability on these manifolds, a N.A. 5.4 is not going to exceed their ability to flow. Headers may pick up up 10-20 horse, but not worth it on a truck IMO. I think the largest amounts of gains have to come from the computer tuning. I'll let you know how my truck turns out. I will be picking up an SCT Xcal3 for mine and having my tuner friend set up some aggressive tunes for it.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
We didn't try stock, but we dyno'ed my wifes 06 with just a canned SF3 tune on a MD, it put down like 225 HP and over 300 lbs of torque. I'd have to find the sheet for exact numbers. It is a heavy truck though, but it tows about the same as my 95 F-150 351W truck does, just a bit smoother. The trailer doesn't whip her truck as much as it does mine... the 95 weighs in at 4800ish dry. FWIW the ol' 351 gets 1.5 more MPG towing the same 5000ish lb open pit car hauler/Cobra combo than the 06 3V 5.4. IMO Ford completely failed with mod motors in trucks, they just don't live up to a simple Speed Density 351W. Both trucks have 3.55 gears BTW. The 06 hunts a bit for overdrive when towing.. the 95 just lugs along. The low-end grunt of the windsor is very hard to beat lol..

Users who are viewing this thread