3.1" Pulley Whipple...

DICobra

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Just want to ask if it is safe to run/dynotune my Cobra on a 3.1" RR upper pulley on a 2.3 Gen.2 Whipple with 4# Lower pulley on 91 octane? Planning on getting a whipple with 3.1" pulley on it. I already have the 4# lower pulley on my car and supporting fuel mods (60#/BAP with wiring upgrade/2400 MAF), I don't want to swap my 4# lower already on it. What is the Best Pulley Combo on a 91 octane? Thanks in advance :)

Termilvr

Established Member
you will probably need a 3.5 inch pulley with the 4lb lower to be in the safe range of 17-19lbs. The 3.1 should make around 17lb with the stock lower witch would make adding 4 lbs to much for 93 let alone 91. I think those boost levels have been done on 93 but the timing would have to be lowered a fair amount and i dont think it would be worth it.

DICobra

Established Member
^^^ thank you Sir. I will have to change it then. Which is safer to run or best combo a 3.5 upper/4# lower or 3.1 upper/stock lower pulley on a 2.3 Whipple? :)

Termilvr

Established Member
^^^ thank you Sir. I will have to change it then. Which is safer to run or best combo a 3.5 upper/4# lower or 3.1 upper/stock lower pulley on a 2.3 Whipple? :)

I have read that people say the lower causes a torque kick down low. but most people seem to run a 3.0in pulley with stock lower. I would say they 3.1 will cause at most a 1 psi drop. what is your exhaust setup?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ Having a lower doesn't give you a higher torque number. boost is boost.

If you already have a 4lb lower just go with the 3.5" upper/4lb lower combo, that way you won't have to worry about belt slip at all.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Running a 3.0" with a stock lower on mine. Tuning was no problem on 91 octane but I'm also at a much higher elevation than you. If you need a 3.5" pulley I have one in my garage I can sell you cheap. As mentioned above, you will be at about 21 PSI boost with the 4 lb lower and a 3.1" upper at sea level.

DICobra

Established Member
I have read that people say the lower causes a torque kick down low. but most people seem to run a 3.0in pulley with stock lower. I would say they 3.1 will cause at most a 1 psi drop. what is your exhaust setup?

I have stock manifolds with Bassani catted x pipe and Borla stinger catback .

Running a 3.0" with a stock lower on mine. Tuning was no problem on 91 octane but I'm also at a much higher elevation than you. If you need a 3.5" pulley I have one in my garage I can sell you cheap. As mentioned above, you will be at about 21 PSI boost with the 4 lb lower and a 3.1" upper at sea level.

Thank you. I will let you know once I get my whipple and may buy your 3.5 pulley. Is that a whipple brand 3.5 pulley?

Users who are viewing this thread