3.27 Rear Gears

SCT93COBRA

Established Member
Anyone try 3.27 Gears in an auto yet? I currently have 4.10 gears and was planning on going to 3.55's. I happen to have a set of 3.27's laying around and was curious if anyone has tried them. I know its not much of a jump from the stock 3.15's and probably wouldn't be worth it. I know the manual cars seem to do the best with the 3.55's. Just curious of everyones opinions.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Don't waste your time with a 3.27. What's wrong with the 410s.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Anyone try 3.27 Gears in an auto yet? I currently have 4.10 gears and was planning on going to 3.55's. I happen to have a set of 3.27's laying around and was curious if anyone has tried them. I know its not much of a jump from the stock 3.15's and probably wouldn't be worth it. I know the manual cars seem to do the best with the 3.55's. Just curious of everyones opinions.

I was asking the same thing on another forum. I have a set of 3.73 and 3.27s laying around. The only thing holding me back installing gears on this car is that if I decide to trade-in or sell it then the speedo is going to be off without a tuner.

Impetuous

Established Member
Don't waste your time with a 3.27. What's wrong with the 410s.

People are running similar times on the autos no matter what gears you run. It seems like the best addition to the autos is the converter. So let me ask you this, why spin the heck out of the engine and run the same times as the other with 3.15s?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
People are running similar times on the autos no matter what gears you run. It seems like the best addition to the autos is the converter. So let me ask you this, why spin the heck out of the engine and run the same times as the other with 3.15s?

Are you running the same times? Are you not hooking? Are you running out of gear in the trap? What is your purpose for changing gears? The op already went with 410s. So unless there is a problem running the 410s why go to 327s.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I was asking the same thing on another forum. I have a set of 3.73 and 3.27s laying around. The only thing holding me back installing gears on this car is that if I decide to trade-in or sell it then the speedo is going to be off without a tuner.

So then for you stick with the stock gears.

Shaun@AED

Are you running the same times? Are you not hooking? Are you running out of gear in the trap? What is your purpose for changing gears? The op already went with 410s. So unless there is a problem running the 410s why go to 327s.

4.10 rear x 4.x first gear = insane
IMO stock 3.15's with a converter should work quite well.
3.27's or 3.31's wouldn't be a bad choice depending on MPH/RPM/gear desired at the traps.

Impetuous

Established Member
Are you familiar with the ratios on the auto transmission? Once you install gears on the auto, first gear becomes "useless". Also, the more gears you shift the more time you lose. Ideally you want to cross at peak in third gear and for that you either have to keep the 3.15s, or 3.31s or 3.55s with a tall tire.
So then for you stick with the stock gears.
That's what I'm thinking.
4.10 rear x 4.x first gear = insane
IMO stock 3.15's with a converter should work quite well.
3.27's or 3.31's wouldn't be a bad choice depending on MPH/RPM/gear desired at the traps.
Thank you! Exactly what I'm trying to say.

SCT93COBRA

Established Member
The 4.10's seemed to work good with the Boss intake. Now I am back to the stock intake. The shift points and down shift points are tricky to get perfect. By going back towards the stock gear, shift points will be better, and hopefully not shifting into 4th may help my 1/4 mile times. It wouldn't cost nothing but my labor to do it.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I have ran, 3.15s, 3.55s, and now Im at 3.31s

With the stock gear, a converter is a MUST unless you have a PD blower to help make power right out of the gate and get these pigs moving.

Shifting one more time into another gear is not bad. The time "lost" on the extra shift has been more than made up for by the better 60' time.

What its going to take, is for every one to figure out what gear works best with there setup. 3.15's are not gonna cut it while trying to get this car out of the hole UNLESS you have a converter, or some sort of power adder. Even then, the car will benefit from some gear, how much.... well I guess you just gotta try and find out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Are you familiar with the ratios on the auto transmission? Once you install gears on the auto, first gear becomes "useless". Also, the more gears you shift the more time you lose. Ideally you want to cross at peak in third gear and for that you either have to keep the 3.15s, or 3.31s or 3.55s with a tall tire.

That's what I'm thinking.

Thank you! Exactly what I'm trying to say.

Yes I am. It really depends on your setup. Anytime you change gears in any car you have to realize the purpose you want for it. For a street car stick with the stock gears that easy.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have ran, 3.15s, 3.55s, and now Im at 3.31s

With the stock gear, a converter is a MUST unless you have a PD blower to help make power right out of the gate and get these pigs moving.

Shifting one more time into another gear is not bad. The time "lost" on the extra shift has been more than made up for by the better 60' time.

What its going to take, is for every one to figure out what gear works best with there setup. 3.15's are not gonna cut it while trying to get this car out of the hole UNLESS you have a converter, or some sort of power adder. Even then, the car will benefit from some gear, how much.... well I guess you just gotta try and find out.

I knew someone else could better explain this. Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread