3.4 Whipple falls on its face with TR6ix plugs

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
I just switched out my TR6's gapped at .028 for TR6ix gapped at .030 and when at max boost 24lbs (3.4 whipple) at 5300 RPM under load, she misfires and falls on her face. :mj: only did that with the TR6's periodically under a higher load and at a higher RPM. Changed the plugs to see if I could fix it and it made it worse. :shrug:

Should I lessen my gap on the TR6ix's, buy another set of plugs like the Autolite AR94 or the TR7ix, or is there possibly another problem like my PPRV (not deleted yet)

I have a 3.4 Whipple at about 24-25lbs of boost 63# injectors with a KB BAP maxed out.

thanks for the help.... I love this forum!!!:rockon:

UPDATE 10 OCT 11:
after a long deployment and many mods in the past 4 weeks I have determined that my problem was the fuel system. I was showing as low as 23PSI at the rail for fuel pressure during load. I have since upgraded to the triple pump return system and 105#injectors. (yet to be dynoed) but i will be running the BR7ef plugs and plan on putting down in the 7**HP range on E85.

No more KB BAP and no more falling on its face..... I guess it is like using a hammer to smash a fly but I fixed the problem!! :)

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
check out the NGK BRF7's.. They are an awesome plug. and you don't want to use an iridium plug on boosted cars..atleast that's what I've gathered from forums and tuners..

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Yea I would go with the BR7s or the TR6 like you had.

I always ran a TR6 with my 3.4L setup and it was great.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
and you don't want to use an iridium plug on boosted cars..atleast that's what I've gathered from forums and tuners..

You sure? There's a whole thread in the tuning section about how TR6 plugs cause idle issues, miss fires under light load etc. and a whole butt load of people in there saying the TR6ix plugs are the bomb and exactly what you need for our cars? So which is it?

Here's the thread
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/718422-tr6-plug-issue.html

Fat-cat

Established Member
I plulled TR7ix's and put Tr6's in and the car runs way better. The IX plugs dont like the boost for very long from what i can tell. They worked good for about 1k miles but after some racing i was getting a bad miss at part throttle and stumbling on the top end at WOT.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I plulled TR7ix's and put Tr6's in and the car runs way better.

You didn't swap apples for apples though. A fair comparison would be TR6ix and TR6 plugs. TR7ix is another heat range cooler. Maybe they were to cold of a plug for your car and that's why it started missing and not working well after 1k miles?
So when you pulled the TR7ix and went to TR6 you also went one heat range hotter. I think to many variables changed there for you to say it was strictly the iridium to copper that made the difference.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
at 24-25 psi, I think .030 is too wide, I'd try gaping them down to .025-.028 before I spent $ on new plugs.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I plulled TR7ix's and put Tr6's in and the car runs way better. The IX plugs dont like the boost for very long from what i can tell. They worked good for about 1k miles but after some racing i was getting a bad miss at part throttle and stumbling on the top end at WOT.

Thats because boosting the car over and over will open the plug gaps...you too had spark blowout.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes I am sure about the IX plugs. I would burn through a IX plug in a 1k or less mi on the car. If you really want to stick with the IX that's cool but gap it down like other members have stated if it's still bad then switch to the BR7's.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Yes I am sure about the IX plugs. I would burn through a IX plug in a 1k or less mi on the car. If you really want to stick with the IX that's cool but gap it down like other members have stated if it's still bad then switch to the BR7's.

Yea thanks for not laughing too hard at my .030 gap.:shrug: it was a starting point LOL! I guess we all live and learn.

I will drop the gap and then do some high boost pulls again and see what she does.

The TR6's were good but they idled like garbage and the car would sometimes stall from a quick start and stop in traffic (embarrasing :rollseyes) but I kept them when I put in the TR6ix's just in case i didn't like the iridiums.

I will regap and let you guys know. I am always looking for a good excuse to go WOT!!! :D

Again, I love this Forum.... you guys RULE :bowdown:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Update

Took her out again today and same thing with the .022 gap on the TR6ix's. Just to close the loop I am going to put the old TR6's back in and see if she does it again. :mj:

I may have another problem, I was thinking that I am not getting enough fuel and she is going lean. the plugs were white when I pulled them and they only have about 150 miles on them. May be time for the Return fuel system upgrade. but have to save up the $$.

Any other suggestions for this "noob" as I was called in another forum. :rollseyes

AMB

Established Member
TermiN8er

At 24psi, you should be using TR7ix plugs @ .022" gap !!! I ran Denso IT24 plugs @ .040" gap, @ 23psi with "NO PROBLENS" !!! I have been using Denso IT22 plugs @ .040" gap and @ 17 psi, for over 7 years, with NO PROBLEMS" !!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
First try the TR6's gapped to .022 if it still happens go with the BR7's and gap them down to .022. If it still happens get that thing on a dyno and datalog and find out whats going on. You may have a coil pack bad or something wrong with the tune. I hope this helps yea :)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just re-read about the plugs and that you are maxed out with the KB boost a pump. I would definatley upgrade the fuel system ASAP man. If you are running lean stop doing WOT pulls now and save your engine. Also at that psi level what gas are you running?? Please don't say pump 93.. You should atleast be running torco or better yet race gas.. If you are running 93 there is a huge chance for detonation and that might be the problem and if that's the case you are lucky you haven't blown up that engine yet..

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
OP I'm curious what fuel are you using that you're running 24 ~ 25 PSI? Are you on E85?
As for the plugs I've always run TR6 gapped at .036 but I'm only at about 13 ~ 14 PSI on a ported/pulley'd eaton.

Users who are viewing this thread