3.73 gears for Shelby

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The higher # gear is a shorter gear, taller gears have a lower numerical #.

A 4:10 gear is "shorter" than a 3:73 gear.

Yep, that is why a 4.10 (numerically high) is called a "low gear".........it works well at the low end.....

3.08, 3.31, they are numerically low, but work great at the "high end", top speed.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
..........and someone correct me if I am wrong.....2.66 to 1 first gear is 2.66 times the engine revs to 1 revolution of the tail shaft, right? or is it 1 revolution of the engine and 2.66 times at the output (tail shaft)? I think it is the first way, but please correct me if I am wrong.....

R

Cman01

hello
Established Member
In 1st gear, 2.66 turns of the input shaft is 1 turn of the output shaft which is connected to the driveshaft.

So in 4th gear 1:1 your driveshaft will be turning the same rpm as the engine, now u have your rear end gear (let's say 4:10) so your driveshaft will turn a little over 4 turns for 1 full revolution of your ring gear.

It's all about torque multiplication to get engine torque to the wheels and to the ground.

Edit: fixed.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
In 1st gear, 1 turn of the input shaft is 2.66 turns of the output shaft which is connected to the driveshaft.

So in 4th gear 1:1 your driveshaft will be turning the same rpm as the engine, now u have your rear end gear (let's say 4:10) so your driveshaft will turn a little over 4 turns for 1 full revolution of your ring gear.

It's all about torque multiplication to get engine torque to the wheels and to the ground.

You got that first part backwards.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
U are multiplying torque, your drive gear has to turn more rotations to turn the driven gear 1 full turn (in this case for 1st gear drive gear has to turn 2.66 times for 1 full rotation of your driven gear).

Edit: I goofed yes actually more turns of the drive gear is necessary for 1 turn of the driven gear to multiplying torque I posted wrong in the first part above.

Fixed above post.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
In 1st gear, 2.66 turns of the input shaft is 1 turn of the output shaft which is connected to the driveshaft.

Edit: fixed.

^^^^Yes, that is what I was thinking, that is how we would figure out what a Ford top loader was, or a Muncie or a Borg, put the trans. in first gear, mark a tooth on the output shaft and one tooth on the input shaft and turn the output one full revolution while counting how many revolutions the input turned to determine a close or wide ratio transmission.

I still believe that the 2.66 first gear in the 2013/14 transmission would play very well with a 3.73 or even a 4.10. It is not geared so that the rpms climb so quickly that first gear hits the rev limiter before you have time to shift like can be the case with a trans that is geared at a 3.00:1 range with these lower (higher numerical) gears.

If/when I put a Magnum XL in my 2008, I am going to get the tighter gear spread option for a closer ratio rpm shift range.

R

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I would actually say 3:90 is THE best gear for a 13/14 car with the TR6060 trans. The short time I had the 3:90 in my car I loved it (except for the stupid whining at highway speeds). When I switched to the FRPP 3:73 gearset it was still good but in 6th right at 60mph I could still feel a bit of a dead spot when you try to accelerate without downshifting, didn't feel that at all with the 3:90 gear and definitely no issue if you run 4:10's.

Users who are viewing this thread