3.73 ratio change?

olaosunt

Established Member
We are really not liking the 3.73 gear. May be a good track gear but on the street it's crazy. Driving around the neighborhood in 4th and 5th is nuts. I have done 8.8 gear swaps in my cobra replica so that isn't a problem. But what about all the electronics? Is there a way to recalibrate everything to a new ratio? Thinking 3.27 or 3.31.

How about running a taller tire like a 28.9 inch tall drag radial?

You speedo will still be off but your effective gear ratio will be 3.48.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
I'm not stock.. I make 422whp he makes 411whp.. But even when we were both stock I always had an edge on his car..

Oh yeah, guess I can't read...

Being more gear the 3.73 should have some edge.
How much would you beat your friend with 3.55's from a roll when you were both stock? I can't imagine more than a car length.

5.0jake

Established Member
How about running a taller tire like a 28.9 inch tall drag radial?

You speedo will still be off but your effective gear ratio will be 3.48.

This would work if the OP cared more about straight line performance but most buy the PP for it's turning capabilities...

Daniel Gulick

I currently have a non PP 5.0, manual trans with the stock 3.31s, JLT Intake, Gibson Catback, SCT 93 octane strategy tune, stock 18" wheels and tires. I raced a PP 5.0 at the drag strip, his car was also a manual, had 3.73s, air raid intake, and mbrp catback, stock 19" staggered wheels and tires. I was running 12.8's @ 113mph he was running 12.9s @ 111mph all night. he would get the jump on me most races but I was able to reel him in on the big end. Also had a guy who was making more power say he was running out of gear at the end of the track and either had to step on the clutch and coast or shift to 5th gear and that he was planning to drop down to 3.55 or lower. I had 3.73s on my list of mods, but after that, I'll stick with the 3.31s and continue to add power, plus on long trips I get 27-28mpg...which is nice.

Dcrypter

Established Member
I currently have a non PP 5.0, manual trans with the stock 3.31s, JLT Intake, Gibson Catback, SCT 93 octane strategy tune, stock 18" wheels and tires. I raced a PP 5.0 at the drag strip, his car was also a manual, had 3.73s, air raid intake, and mbrp catback, stock 19" staggered wheels and tires. I was running 12.8's @ 113mph he was running 12.9s @ 111mph all night. he would get the jump on me most races but I was able to reel him in on the big end. Also had a guy who was making more power say he was running out of gear at the end of the track and either had to step on the clutch and coast or shift to 5th gear and that he was planning to drop down to 3.55 or lower. I had 3.73s on my list of mods, but after that, I'll stick with the 3.31s and continue to add power, plus on long trips I get 27-28mpg...which is nice.

Using other peoples time slips for comparison 12.78~ is what a manual PP with CAI, catback, and tune should be running. DR's should get you about another half second. You are a better driver than he is, gratz

5.0jake

Established Member
The fastest 15' GT bone stock time Ive seen so far was done with a 3.55 geared 6m. 12.6@ 115 posted on 6g.
Decent but not mine shaft air and driver mod for sure. 60ft wasn't that great; 2.0 I believe.

jdcobra

Established Member
Sorry for my ignorance but, does anyone have a chart showing comparison from the 3.73's to the 3.55's?

908ssp

Established Member
I have 28 inch tire but with 550rwhp the 3.73 is ridiculously low, but it has the Torson. If I have to change the clutch to handle the power I'll probably change the transmission rather than the rear end. The 6060 from a gt500 would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread