Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 4.10's

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03cobrarocks

Established Member
to the op:

looks like you have your mind set on 3.73s if thats what you think you will like then go for it! I have a friend with a bolt on 01 gt and 3.73s and his car runs damn good! I think it would depend on your mod goals. If you plan on ever making 400+ I wouldnt get 4.10s becuase of traction issues and shifting a lot but thats just me

1reasun

Established Member
i hear that 4.10's arent the best if u do a lot of highway driving.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
IMO.....3.73s (or 3.90s maybe pending which one) for FI

and

4.10s or 4.30s for N/A

4.56s for 80% track car.

03Honda_Hunter

Established Member
i hear that 4.10's arent the best if u do a lot of highway driving.

It's all personal preference. I have 3.73's and it wouldn't bother me a bit to go to a 4.10 gear. To the OP, if you think you'll be happier with 3.73's, then just get those. In my case, I wanted 4.10's from the get go, but talked to a bunch of mustang people in my area and basically got talked in to 3.73's. There's not that much of a difference between the two in hwy driving. IMO if you're concerned about gas mileage, you should get rid of your mustang. I drove to right outside of Destin FL from NE TN and averaged about 26.5mpg. That's not bad at all as it's a full bolt on car and I pretty much sat at 75mph the whole way. JMO though.

smokedgtp

Established Member
Im running 3.73's and was wondering what a 4.10 would feel like? I do a small amount of HWY driving. It is an AUTO so I almost think to rip out of the hole I really need 4.10's.

03Honda_Hunter

Established Member
Im running 3.73's and was wondering what a 4.10 would feel like? I do a small amount of HWY driving. It is an AUTO so I almost think to rip out of the hole I really need 4.10's.

There won't be a night and day difference, but it will help out. I had always been told that for autos you should get 4.10's. Your rpms will be slightly higher but IMO it's nothing to be conerned about.

boduke0220

Established Member
When me and my friends went to an auto fair we all bought gears. my 2 buddies got 3.73's and i got 4.10's. My friend got his installed that night and i couldnt tell a damn bit a difference. but when i got my 4.10's in about 2 months later i could tell a heck of alot more difference. i rev about 2400 at 70 or something like that. i can also spin the tires in 3rd, my friends with the same mods and 3.73's cant do that. and i get 19.8 mpg on average. but i could deff see someone who drove alot of highway miles to get 3.73's and i prob would too. also if you do alot of roll racing over 100 the 3.73's would prob be better

Stevo151

Established Member
When me and my friends went to an auto fair we all bought gears. my 2 buddies got 3.73's and i got 4.10's. My friend got his installed that night and i couldnt tell a damn bit a difference. but when i got my 4.10's in about 2 months later i could tell a heck of alot more difference. i rev about 2400 at 70 or something like that. i can also spin the tires in 3rd, my friends with the same mods and 3.73's cant do that. and i get 19.8 mpg on average. but i could deff see someone who drove alot of highway miles to get 3.73's and i prob would too. also if you do alot of roll racing over 100 the 3.73's would prob be better

i know roll racing is basically a pussy race like people say but i usually end up doing that like on highways and freweways... i think 3.73 gears wud be more my style since im in to the top end speed...

But yeah thanks guys for all ur honest opinions on the gears but im gunna get 3.73's i think...

Now i just needa find a good deal for them, anyone know/selling some for a good pirce? :beer:

smokedgtp

Established Member
With my 3.73's I'm around 2200rpms at 75 or so. So with a 4.10 gear you'd be closer to 2500rpms. I don't know what that is in km/h but hope that helps.

75 mph = 120.7008 kph. I bought the car with the gears and he said it had 3.73's but I rev close to that. How can I tell what gears I have?

Lad30nyc

Established Member
IMO.....3.73s (or 3.90s maybe pending which one) for FI

and

4.10s or 4.30s for N/A

4.56s for 80% track car.

Are you planing to go with forced induction in the future? if so just get the 3.73s and save yourself time and money on the install! I just got 3.73s and have a minor bolt on 99GT (75mmTB/PLenum, exhaust, cold air intake, 93 octane tune) and I love the way they feel, better then stock but not a huge huge differene, noticable though!
So you know, I got the 373s b/c i'm planning on getting a KB over the winter so i figured I would just stick with these!

PowerShiftz02gt

Established Member
In a Local Tuners Words:

What rear differential gear do you recommend?
2V GT: The GT reacts to gear changes much the same way a 5.0 does although the real problem is that they have less torque than a 302.

For stick cars we recommend 3.73 gears. Because of the lack of low end torque, we don't feel 3.55's are enough. The 3.73 gives an excellent increase in acceleration and top speed isn't decreased because you are able to wind out overdrive further. With a 3.73 your rpm in 5th gear at 60 mph will only be 2005, not at all what you might call "too high". As we said, your top speed will not decrease when putting lower (numerically higher) gears in a car with overdrive. You will simply wind out 5th gear further than you could with the higher gears (numerically lower).

For AODE cars, 3.73's are still a good choice but we recommend 4.10 gears. A 4.10 may sound extremely steep, but because the AODE's 1st gear is higher (numerically low) and 4th gear (overdrive) is steeper than the T-5, it's a very good choice for the driver interested in making their car perform better.

4V Cobra: The Cobra has an entirely different engine than most people are used to. It performs best at high rpms, upwards of 7000. It's power band is relatively high due to the deep breathing nature of the two intake valves. When gearing a Cobra, 3.73's just aren't enough. They don't allow the engine to reach its powerband quickly enough. 4.10 gears are an excellent choice and 4.30's are even better. This may sound very steep if you're used to the average 5.0 which needs to be shifted by 5600 rpm. But since this engine will easily rev to 7000 it needs the extra gear and it likes it. 4.30's are our #1 choice, naturally aspirated or supercharged. At 80 mph in fifth with 4.10's the engine only turns about 2700 rpm, completely tolerable.

4.6L Mustang Tech Q & A

mellor_21

Established Member
aode is auto overdrive iirc, the e had different ratios i think..
d/s spins 4.1 times for 4.10s.. 3 3/4 times for 3.73s. pretty simple (i might be backwards.. i'm too tired to think it through right now)

1reasun

Established Member
i've been reading through the thread. great info guys! keep it up :)

Users who are viewing this thread