3.73's

Cobrasized

Proud MCT Member
Established Member
Who has installed 3.73's?

Are you happy with the change?

Who installed for you?

Would you do it over again now that you've lived with it for awhale?

Where did you buy the gears and how much was the install?

What's it like at Highway speed?

Thanks guys.

crankshaft04

Run What You Brung
Established Member
man it was the best mod i did in my opinion, the car has no lag at all even in 5th and 6th,i would it again in a second, i gained over 5 mph in a quarter mile just by doing gears and you will not loose any driveabilty

Blksnke

Established Member
I did them last year , great on highway, bought from I forgot having a senoir moment, went to dealer Hungtington ford did a great job, even held car overnight so that the seals would make good contact before putting in oil and they even installed my billetflow diff brace for free

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
3.73's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who has installed 3.73's? me and Total Transmission

Are you happy with the change? kinda, still getting use to them. Was expected a little more umph, slowly growing on me it think. Let you know in 1,000 more miles

Who installed for you? Total Transmission, did the gear setting. I did the install (removing/cleaning/installing/putting fluid in/upgraded bushings).

Would you do it over again now that you've lived with it for awhale? Undecisive. There is a change.

Where did you buy the gears and how much was the install? buyfordracing.com even with tax and shipping, they were the cheapest (at one time). Install was around 125 or so but if more if you drive the car in...guess 500.00

What's it like at Highway speed? In 6th you would never know you have them. 5th gain about 300-400 more RPM at 75. Don't remember exactly, let you know in 1 week.

My positive influence on you which I will not charge until I see you again: Buy the MM diff busing set in either aluminum or upgraded Poly.......http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=485. I bought the Poly's (have not melted yet as some say they do). Get the busing removal tool. Very easy to do. I went with Amsoil Severe Gear with one bottle of Ford friciton modifier. Still have the tool somewhere, need to charge you rental though.

This is a double charge: Get the entire replacement package: bearings, pinion washer, shims, etc. Buy the complete set, (save Harley and Beemer money and get this kit). You will need them. Do not use anything over again. FRPR has an already made up set...http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5956 and the side bearingshttp://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9406&currency=USD

Last edited:

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
not worth all the money for so little difference, my opinion

All I have now are 4.10s, Flowmaster, and a K&N
I do like my 4.10s... I can't say that I felt a tremendous difference (I have 4.10s in the GT too and I'm thinking about 4.56s now) when I did it but it's equal to putting a 2.93 on ...

I haven't swapped pulleys yet but eventually I will and get the blower ported... and I'll run drag tires full time, put an o/r H pipe on to lose some low end and pick up in the upper rpms, and I'm not worried about traction but if I had any more power than 500, I would think real hard about a gear change.

Things to think about are, are you going to run sticky tires all the time, is it just a toy that comes out when it's sunny out, is it a drag car that you're trying to maximize its potential, etc

I don't think you're going to notice hardly anything from a 3.73... you really need to drive a car that is setup like yours with the gear choices that you are considering otherwise you're just guessing what you would like

dont get me wrong, I like a geared up car but it's got to be really geared up for me to appreciate it.. maybe I'm just not as sensitive to the change as others are

T.Bone

Established Member
not worth all the money for so little difference, my opinion

All I have now are 4.10s, Flowmaster, and a K&N
I do like my 4.10s... I can't say that I felt a tremendous difference (I have 4.10s in the GT too and I'm thinking about 4.56s now) when I did it but it's equal to putting a 2.93 on ...
I don't think you're going to notice hardly anything from a 3.73... you really need to drive a car that is setup like yours with the gear choices that you are considering otherwise you're just guessing what you would like

If you are going to take any long hauls in the Cobra I would not recommend 4:10's. I have talked to the engineers since I am looking to put gears in mine, they all said when they tested our cars with anything higher than 3:90's it would spit gear lube all over the backend after a long hard drive.

The IRS sets to high up in the car and can't get cooling around it like a solid axle does.

I drive mine from here to Texas at times, last thing I want to be doing it cleaning gear lube off the back end.

If you are like Tony and never take out of the garage or less then 5 miles down the road then 4:10's are fine.

I am going with 3:73's, all I am looking for is to run 11.7's with out speed shifting the car. I can run flat 12's all day with out speed shifting the car now.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Put about 40 miles on her Sun. The 3.73's are growing on me. Do it, do it

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I did 3.73's when I put in the T2R. Not much of a difference; would do 3.9's if I could do it again. Not worried about diff heat since I have a diff cooler.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I did 3.73's when I put in the T2R. Not much of a difference; would do 3.9's if I could do it again. Not worried about diff heat since I have a diff cooler.

If I was still with Mr. Heaton I would do 3.90's

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
If I was still with Mr. Heaton I would do 3.90's

The 3.55's are all over the road in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd with my car. Going to a taller gear would be sheer torture to the rubber in the back which would require a rear tire fund to be setup at the bank, kind of like a christmas account:D

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
The 3.55's are all over the road in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd with my car. Going to a taller gear would be sheer torture to the rubber in the back which would require a rear tire fund to be setup at the bank, kind of like a christmas account:D

I do not consider your car a Heaton....it's more like a 2.0 Whipple. When the tires squeal, they're begging for a 22 psi boosted 2.3L Whipple.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I do not consider your car a Heaton....it's more like a 2.0 Whipple. When the tires squeal, they're begging for a 22 psi boosted 2.3L Whipple.

Whipple as soon as funds allow it:beer:

TRMNTR

Established Member
Do you mean you felt no difference as in nothing bad, or you felt no difference as in nothing good.

Bottom line, how do you like them.

Blksnke

Established Member
don't want to keep Gary in suspense but the ride was fine, 6th gear and doing 80 no problems, would have gone faster but wife in car.

TRMNTR

Established Member
3.73s were one of the first things we did with 5.0 cars back in the day. I was surprised to see that not many change the gears in the Terminators. I don't know about you but I don't need to be able to go 40+mph in 1st gear.

Even with the 5spd, 5.0 car, there was really no downside to doing it. Gas mileage even improved sometimes because the car didn't work as hard to get moving. Not that I really care about gas mileage.

When the 32valve Cobras came out in '96 4.10 was the recommended gear for those cars.

With our car, 3.73s would certainly be an improvement, but not huge. I don't think you would see any downside to having them. You could probably do ok with 4.10s but T-bone's info from the engineers would make me leery of doing that. 3.90s are probably perfect for our cars, but only one company makes them and I have heard that they're noisy.

I might do it someday, probably either 3.73s or 3.90s.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread