3.8 to 5.0 swap. help!

mustangmatt

Established Member
i have a 1995 3.8 mustang. the past couple weeks ive been collecting some parts for a huge swap. i bought a used 5.0 litre with about 50,000 miles on it and right now it's stock and not in the car yet. ive also purchased a 75mm throttle body, MAC shorty headers, 4.10 gears, and thats about all at the moment. im not done yet by far but lets put it this way, this already has been a very expensive past couple of weeks.
I need a dual exhaust system. is there one that anyone may reccommend? i live in Ohio and it gets pretty snowy up here in the winter and i figured this would be a great project. with the v6 i ran 17's :cryying: as i have a convetible and is heavier than hell. so im looking for some much btter numbers in 2004. any suggestions would be helpful.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I'd recommend a smaller throttle body if the 5.0L is stock. Do you plan on supercharging it? As for your exhaust, it really depends on how you want it to sound. Go here to check out sounds. They all flow well. Right now, i have stock headers, Dr Gas o/r x, and turbo tube mufflers. It sounds pissed. I love it. For christmas i'm hoping to get BBK long tubes with the same setup. Are emissions an issue where you live? With the engine out, have you thought of getting heads and a cam? What tranny did you decide to go with?

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Ya definitely go with a 65mm throttle body, 75 is way to big for a stock motor. Go with some long tube headers for the biggest gain and x pipe and mufflers are mostly matter of opinion. Some hp difference between them but I wouldnt think much on a stock motor.

mustangmatt

Established Member
well i should have mentioned that the engine is stock NOW but i dont plan on it being so. i would like to add a new cam. and no i am not lookin to supercharge it. i just turned 17 and this is killin my bank account and wallet as it is. haha if you know how to get a good one for under $3000 lemme know but i dont see me gettin one anytime soon
i dont know what to do about the transmission. should i leave the one that is in there? its the original one that came in the car and its an automatic.
oh and yes those damn emissions are a problem for me:bash:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The first thing I would do is find out if you are going to be able to get a state inspection( in Ohio) w/ a v6 vin# and an 8 cyl. engine?...
I would not spend one more DIME $$$$$$$$.....untill you KNOW.....because if you can't....you just built you're self a trailered race car......If you CAN STICKER A V8 in a v6 car........ do they do "sniffer" inspections in you're state? Because if they do, you have a whole list of available "legal" mods.....and if they don't....you just have to "look legal"....I hate to say this but I did a similar thing when I was younger...spent $$$$ on things I could not use....hopefully that has not just happened to you...good luck:thumbsup:

Planning is CRITICALLY important when building cars,,,because of the amounts of money involved are significant.....It's good training though for later on when those "honey do lists" start popping up(home improvement):dw:

Last edited:

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Inspections?? Here in Michigan I never heard of such nonsense :D . I dont think Ohio has any either but not sure.

How much are you looking to put into the car??

mustangmatt

Established Member
well i have about $1500 more i can spend. but i dont wanna blow it all on 1 thing. I would like to spread it out as effectively as possible. in other words, no supercharger. and i have never heard of any inspections either. the only thing we have is E-check but we checked with them and as long as the car can pass v6 emmissions i am fine, even though i have a v8 now.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
Is a 95 an OBD2 car ?

No, its an OBDI.

Matt...Have you thought of putting in a 5-speed? What auto tranny came with the v6's? Anyone know? Is it the same as the GT's had? If its not, you will need to upgrade it so it can handle the power and torque. Personally, i would put in a T-5 or Tremec 5-speed. You can find a rebuilt T-5 for pretty cheap. With $1500, you may want to beef up the suspension. Id also put in a cam since the engine is out. Are you doing all the work yourself?

mustangmatt

Established Member
No im not doin it all myself. my dadis helping me. he has built up a lot of cars in his time but he is letting me make a lot of desicions for myself and then he is gonna show me how to install the parts and help me out. He has owned mustangs and worked on them since the 60's. always talks about his old 427 torino

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
" He has owned mustangs and worked on them since the 60's. always talks about his old 427 torino"........

yea!!!!!........... those cars were MONSTERS!....LEGENDS!
Cool dad ya got there!!:rockon:

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
I thought the OBDII's were less strict. I know guys with them passing with no cats. All they do for the OBDII is scan the codes, so its so easy to pass.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
True, but you can buy an OBDII code scanner and clear the code so it doesnt have the check engine light. Works great. With the OBDI's, you actually have to run your car on the emissions machine. Well thats how it is here at least. It sucks. Ive failed so many times.

mustangmatt

Established Member
yea i do have to run it on the machine. my car has yet to fail but we do have 1 that has failed. emissions are trouble

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Emissions are a joke. They are a waste of my damn time and money. It doesnt make sense...if you dont pass you can pay $200 and they will pass you. Greedy bastards.

Matt--you decide on what to spend the $1500 on? You may want to do some more research on your tranny and d/s and other drivetrain and suspension parts.

Users who are viewing this thread