3 car garage size?

03'Darin

Established Member
14' is overkill anyway.

My house garage is probably 12' and eeilsy could have been 14. All depends on how the garage is positioned on the house and how the land is laid out. My house sits up on top of a hill so I just dropped the floor in the foundation further. Gave me higher garage ceiling and made the driveway transition up the hill and into the garage easier. Benefit of the higher ceiling is if you want to utilize that height for storage. Draw back is if you're heating and or cooling the space.

My detached garage I did 11' ceilings except for a vaulted area in the one bar for my two post lift. My garage is heated and cooled so I didn't want to keep 14' ceilings in the entire garage. Now that it's done I wish I would have for extra storage area.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My house garage is probably 12' and eeilsy could have been 14. All depends on how the garage is positioned on the house and how the land is laid out. My house sits up on top of a hill so I just dropped the floor in the foundation further. Gave me higher garage ceiling and made the driveway transition up the hill and into the garage easier. Benefit of the higher ceiling is if you want to utilize that height for storage. Draw back is if you're heating and or cooling the space.

My detached garage I did 11' ceilings except for a vaulted area in the one bar for my two post lift. My garage is heated and cooled so I didn't want to keep 14' ceilings in the entire garage. Now that it's done I wish I would have for extra storage area.

I get what you're saying, but a lot of people also put rooms over top of their garages for apartments/storage. For a lift, I think it's overkill, for extra storage, sure.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
That seems tight for three cars. Even 1 extra foot makes a world of difference. I'd say minimum 30 wide x 20 depth for three cars, and even that doesn't leave a lot of room

My two car is 20x20. Would be perfectly fine if I had a shed for my tools and lawn equipment/snowblower etc, but no.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
We're going to hopefully break ground on our 3 car garage in about a month or so. We're shooting for 40' W x 30' Deep. Going to do 3 individual 8' doors. I'm pretty excited!

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We're going to hopefully break ground on our 3 car garage in about a month or so. We're shooting for 40' W x 30' Deep. Going to do 3 individual 8' doors. I'm pretty excited!

We are just finishing up that same size garage, I would re-think 8' doors...

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Did you do 10ft doors? This will an attached garage so was worried might look a little big on the house.

Yes 10' X 10'.

You might be right about the looks, mine is a detached garage though. I will say this, after a couple months my wife is still worried about hitting the side of the car lol.

I just didn't want to limit myself in case I picked up another F350 Crew Cab.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Yes 10' X 10'.

You might be right about the looks, mine is a detached garage though. I will say this, after a couple months my wife is still worried about hitting the side of the car lol.

I just didn't want to limit myself in case I picked up another F350 Crew Cab.

Yeah. Thanks for the input I might have to look a little more into this. I def want room for a full size truck.

Users who are viewing this thread