3 hpurs of reading old post later i need advice

Growlar

Established Member
Traded a 14 gt that locked out of 3rd at high rpms 50% of time for a 10 gt500 that locks out of second 75% of the time . The whiteline insert helped with gt but didn't fix,and I didn't upgrade shifter because of warranty. I got 12 months bumper to bumper on '10 gt500 I just purchased so should I take it in and have trans rebuilt like others have done ?or is there a better solution Now..again I don't want to upgrade shifter if I'm having transmission problems to give them an excuse to deny. The gt500 has 17k miles on it and the rest of the gears go in smooth as silk

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Leave shifter stock, take to a ford dealer and tell em exactly whats going on: grind/lockout of second gear.

Once the trans is rebuilt (at this point it needs rebuilt) THEN install an MGW gen 2 and switch to a better trans fluid. Im running Royal Purple Synchromax and I absolutely love it. Have not had any issues shifting since i put it in and the MGW feels even better now.

Some may say stick with Mercon, but I think that the synchros in the TR-6060 need an extra something to help em out. For me, RP Synchromax worked wonders. Sucks it doesnt come this way out of the box, but it is what it is.

*EDIT* If they do end up pulling the trans out, see if they will install the MGW (provided by you of course) while the trans is out.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Leave shifter stock, take to a ford dealer and tell em exactly whats going on: grind/lockout of second gear.

Once the trans is rebuilt (at this point it needs rebuilt) THEN install an MGW gen 2 and switch to a better trans fluid. Im running Royal Purple Synchromax and I absolutely love it. Have not had any issues shifting since i put it in and the MGW feels even better now.

Some may say stick with Mercon, but I think that the synchros in the TR-6060 need an extra something to help em out. For me, RP Synchromax worked wonders. Sucks it doesnt come this way out of the box, but it is what it is.

*EDIT* If they do end up pulling the trans out, see if they will install the MGW (provided by you of course) while the trans is out.

^^^+1 but I'm more of an Amsoil guy! ;-) It's super smooth as well! Either way you can't go wrong but good advice here on getting them to rebuild the trans FIRST and then do the shifter if needed/have them do it at the same time....good luck!

Growlar

Established Member
Thanks for replies I guess i'll take it in, but I need to play with my new toy for at least week or two first though! kind of spoiled plans to get it to strip before they close for the year though :(

Users who are viewing this thread