3" LX Tailpipes

Mark99GT

Established Member
I finished installing some Pypes polished stainless 3" LX tailpipes today. I think they look really good.

The fit is actually pretty good too, still needs some minor tweaking on the driver's side. The pipes also do run close to the gas tank. Do you think this is a safety issue?

The current configuration leaves about 1/4" clearance between the tank and the pipe on the passenger side and about 1/8" or 1/16" on the driver's side. Very close to touching. I'm considering getting something like the black Oatley soldering flame guards you can get at HD to wrap around the pipes. There are also some 3" Velcro-on wrap heat shields on Summit. I just don't want them to be visible. I like the Summit wraps better, but they're designed to go around the fuel/brake lines, etc., not the exhaust pipes. So I'd be using them "backwards." Would that make them ineffective?

If I wrap the pipes the wrap will fill the gap and touch the gas tank. I don't see that as an issue. Am I overthinking this? I feel like it's not a big deal, but definitely don't want to find out the hard way.

Mark99GT

Established Member
Here's a couple quick pics I took at work today. I ordered some adhesive heat shield to put on the tank and the velcro wraps to put around the tail pipes, just in case. I drove it a fair amount today and there were no issues but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll update here with more pics when I get it all 100% sorted out. Still needs some adjustment, my mufflers look like they're hanging a little lower than they should. Really need to lower it and get new wheels....

LX Tailpipes 2.png

LX Tailpipes.png

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Need to see it from the rear too to get the full idea, and maybe some closeups.

In my experience, the tail pipes themselves won't be the hottest part of the exhaust. They'll get warm, but not so hot where you would have to worry about it melting anything or catching fire to anything.

I think you'd be fine running it how you have it. You're only .5 of an inch bigger than what came on it from the factory, and Ford designed the pipes to be right near the tank anyway. I'd say you'll be fine.

Where'd you get these tips from? I remember someone on here asking for 3 inch tips that weren't just the last 6-8 inches. I wanted 3 inch but couldn't find any that was available.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The pipes will be fine with the gas tank but if concerned take it to an exhaust shop after driving it a while (let it settle if just installed).
I’ve ran 3” tails on Foxes no problems
-J

Mark99GT

Established Member
Need to see it from the rear too to get the full idea, and maybe some closeups.

In my experience, the tail pipes themselves won't be the hottest part of the exhaust. They'll get warm, but not so hot where you would have to worry about it melting anything or catching fire to anything.

I think you'd be fine running it how you have it. You're only .5 of an inch bigger than what came on it from the factory, and Ford designed the pipes to be right near the tank anyway. I'd say you'll be fine.

Where'd you get these tips from? I remember someone on here asking for 3 inch tips that weren't just the last 6-8 inches. I wanted 3 inch but couldn't find any that was available.
In got these from either Summit or AM, can't remember which, like $350. But they're full tailpipes, not just tips, so 3" all the way to the mufflers. I had to pull my mufflers and expand the ends to slip-fit into the tail pipes and then make relief cuts in the tailpipes so they'd clamp to the mufflers.

I think factory pipes were 2.25" from the mufflers to the beginning of the tips and routed further away from the tank. These are substantially bigger when doing a side by side comparison.

I went to the garage and snapped a quick pic of the rear/under (car is filthy).

rear.png

Here's a pic of the pipes along the tank and the clearance on the passenger side, it's about a 1/4 inch or so. The driver's side is just about touching, could maybe slide a piece of paper between. I drove the car for about an hour around town, parked it, and immediately grabbed the pipes at the tips. Certainly warm/hot but I doubt they'd melt anything (like you guys have said). After racing at 6,000+ rpm for an hour might be a different story.

tank clearance.png

Here's the routing over the axle on the passenger side, they tuck up between the UCA and frame rail.

routing.png

I need to get it back on jack stands and raise the mufflers, and I think I'll need new rubber hanger/isolators. The ones I used look like they allow the mufflers to hang too low. I think I have the opposite issue with the hangers at the tips/bumper those rubber isolators need to be a tiny bit longer.

Like I said, I did order the heat shield and wrap, I'll throw it all on since I already bought it, can't hurt. And I'll also get some more close up pics and different angles. I was running turndowns off the mufflers before these, so the sound is definitely different, but these sound good!

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say you'll be fine here. Road racing/autocross? Maaaayyybe get some more clearance, but round the town stuff, you'll be fine. Just tweak 'em like you said and enjoy the look. I think they look wonderful!

96dreamer

Established Member
these look very good. Seems like you would be able to piece together a full 3" catback pretty easily using these as the base. May have to look into that in the future.

Mark99GT

Established Member
these look very good. Seems like you would be able to piece together a full 3" catback pretty easily using these as the base. May have to look into that in the future.
Thanks. Yes, as long as the mufflers exits are in a near-factory location you should be fine just clamping it up (with 3" exits); there's some wiggle room. I did use slightly longer rubber hangers/insulators at mufflers and the tips.

Since I needed to correct the alignment a bit I got the car back up on jack stands and raised the H pipe/muffler flange section, readjusted the pipes and have a really good fit now. Both sides are the same height, tips are even, and there's plenty of room near the gas tank too. I may take it for a spin tomorrow, if I do I'll try to get a short walk around video and post a link. I think it's easier to get the full picture with a video rather than individual pics.

Users who are viewing this thread