3 tickets from one officer?

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Hi All,

I don't want to bore you with my story, but here's the scoop.

I was traveling to meet a colleague for lunch when I got pulled over. I had no idea what I possibley did wrong. I was not speeding, I was not in a hurry since I left myself plenty of time to get where I needed to go.

The officer pulls me over because I have slightly fogged license plate cover and a 'loud' exhaust. He asked me if I was in a hurry, I said no. He was being kind of cocky saying I was tailgaiting to close to the person in front of me. I assured him that I was not in a hurry and I was actually slowing down to let the person in the right hand lane get in front of me. He wasn't buying my story even though it was the honest to god truth. From his perspective it might of looked like I was tailgating since he was pulled off of the road. He was probably about 1500 feet behind me once he made the corner to see me. I tried my best to compromise with him, but he just got extremely frustrated with me. He ended up reaching thru the passenger side window and grabbed the ticket out of my hand. He said he didn't have time to listen to me talk. He ended up writing me 3 tickets.
1 for fogged license plate
2 for 'loud' exhuast
3 for tailgating.

I plan to go to court to reduce my citations. I was told from a friend of a lawyer that if I take my license plate in with my cover and show the judge just how really obstructive my cover is, that he might let me off. The writing on the plate is clear as day.

Also, how does an officer tell how loud an exhaust is if he does not measure the dB? Sure it's louder than normal, but it's not insainely loud.

Really the only citation I wanted to fight was tailgating. That was the one that really pissed me off since I was not doing anything of that nature. In a way I think the cop was just throwing around his authority around some little kid was driving a Mustang Cobra. I know I should of had my dress clothes on.:shrug:

Anyone have any suggestions with what I might be able to do? I realize the first two citations are my responsibility, but after the incident I had and the rudeness of the officer, I wouldn't mind trying to milk it for what it's worth. I haven't had a ticket in 5 years and when I do get pulled over, I try to treat the officer with the upmost dignity.

I particulary liked when the officer asked me if I knew the definition of tailgating.

cheers:beer:
Ryan

2k2SilverBullet

Established Member
lawyer as simple as that man, judge prolly will let you off for the fogged license plate.....is that even an rule...weird, loud exhaust unless he didnt check the db level, u can get off, but u wont with the tailgating unless u get a lawyer

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by 2k2SilverBullet
lawyer as simple as that man, judge prolly will let you off for the fogged license plate.....is that even an rule...weird, loud exhaust unless he didnt check the db level, u can get off, but u wont with the tailgating unless u get a lawyer

It's amazing how different officers can be. The one today was a major prick! A couple of years ago I got pulled over by a Ohio State Highway Patrolman. I WAS speeding. Doing 78 and a 65. The officer was totally cool. He was more interested in my Cobra than the reason why he pulled me over. He told me to just make sure I had my cruise set and he let me off with a warning. It's a pitty that some officers have to ruin other officers reputations. I would of been fine if he had written me a ticket, I was in the wrong.

USAOwnz

I don't even know now!
Established Member
Yeah, some police are cool, but the ones that aren't are just a pain in the ass.

1SVT2NV

Established Member
Its really hard for me to read this board. I really feel for the some of the posters here that appear, from their side of the story, to be getting a raw deal. To the person that started this thread, hire a lawyer and fight the tailgating ticket. Here in NJ that offense carries a large fine and something like 6 points. I dont know how it is where you're from. It is one of the worst tickets you can get here, though. Good luck.

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by 1SVT2NV
Its really hard for me to read this board. I really feel for the some of the posters here that appear, from their side of the story, to be getting a raw deal. To the person that started this thread, hire a lawyer and fight the tailgating ticket. Here in NJ that offense carries a large fine and something like 6 points. I dont know how it is where you're from. It is one of the worst tickets you can get here, though. Good luck.

No, it's not that bad of a ticket. However, it did cost me 1 point on to my record. I'm not too worried about it though, since my record was clean. But it does erk me since I know I was not tailgating.

whitey03

Established Member
Originally posted by GIDIEUP
He ended up writing me 3 tickets.
1 for fogged license plate
2 for 'loud' exhuast
3 for tailgating.

1, Thats improper display. Judge may throw it out, but it is a legit law.

2, Each state is different concerning exhaust notes. Most follow this: If any equipment is added or exchange to make the sound of the car louder than its factory sound, it is a violation.
Pretty straight forward there. Its a "fix it" ticket, either replace your exhaust with the factory ones, or pay a fine. Probably around $60-$100.

3, Tailgating is a hard call. You could get it thrown out or you could have to pay for the violation.

As far as a lawyer is concerned, dont bother. You'll spend more on him than if you have to pay for all 3 violations. Best advice, if you have a pretty good driving record, go before the judge and fight the tailgating. Be very respectful to both the judge and the officer. Just simply state you do not believe you were tailgating and rattle off exactly what you did in your post about letting someone in front of you. Chances are, that charge will get dismissed and that one for the license plate (do bring it in and plead your ignorance to the law). Pay the fine for the exhaust or change it back to stock.

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Re: Re: 3 tickets from one officer?

Originally posted by whitey03
1, Thats improper display. Judge may throw it out, but it is a legit law.

2, Each state is different concerning exhaust notes. Most follow this: If any equipment is added or exchange to make the sound of the car louder than its factory sound, it is a violation.
Pretty straight forward there. Its a "fix it" ticket, either replace your exhaust with the factory ones, or pay a fine. Probably around $60-$100.

3, Tailgating is a hard call. You could get it thrown out or you could have to pay for the violation.

As far as a lawyer is concerned, dont bother. You'll spend more on him than if you have to pay for all 3 violations. Best advice, if you have a pretty good driving record, go before the judge and fight the tailgating. Be very respectful to both the judge and the officer. Just simply state you do not believe you were tailgating and rattle off exactly what you did in your post about letting someone in front of you. Chances are, that charge will get dismissed and that one for the license plate (do bring it in and plead your ignorance to the law). Pay the fine for the exhaust or change it back to stock.

Thanks for the advice. I was not going to hire an attorney. I would rather pay the $300 dollar fine than rack up a few thousand. However a do have a few attorney friends/relatives so I'll take some of their advise as well. The more I think about it I could probably get off for 1 and 2. The 3rd is hearsay, and if the officer does show up, it is his word over mind, but I have the driving record to back it up with the Mustangs ;). Never had a ticket before in either the 92, 95, or 99. :shrug: I don't know if I want to laugh or cry at the fact of getting 3 tickets at one stop :thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks for the advice.:beer:

CrimsonCobra_01

Established Member
i got threee tickets from one guy once too!!!! his hand musta been tired. get a lawyer whos drinkin buds with the judge and then youll be on your merry way like me.

if not sorry bro, challenge his ass

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by CrimsonCobra_01
i got threee tickets from one guy once too!!!! his hand musta been tired. get a lawyer whos drinkin buds with the judge and then youll be on your merry way like me.

if not sorry bro, challenge his ass

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to get a lawyer though. We are talking a differrence of $300 or $3000. Sure I can get out of the tickets and say, "In your face copper", but then I would be $2,700 in the hole.

Last edited:

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
I ot 3 tickets in one stop too. Reckless driving, imporoper lane change and failure to yield.
I saw the make a u turn to follow me simply becasue I was the only car on the road at 3AM. I figure I dont wanna be harassed so I signaled as I went across 2 lanes of a 3 land road( not in one swoop) and exited the road via a jug handle. He put on his lights as I exited the road. I pulled over as soon as the lights went on ( he was about a 1/4 mile behind me still). He comews up to me and askss for my information. I give him my stuff and a PBA card. He threw the PBA card and it hit me in the face and walked away with my stuff ( that kinda pissed me off that he threw it at my face). As he was walking back 4!!! more cop cars came fomr every direction with their lights on. Apparently he called me in as a pursuit- he told me that. So 2 cops are watching me sitting in my car and 2 more are tlaking to the one hwo pulled me over. After a few minutes they ask me if they can search the car. I say sure and they rip apart my car for 45 minutes. After finding nothing...its 4AM now I hear the cop who pulled me over ask the "head cop" "what should I do"? Whoever the head guy was( he was directing the cop who pulled me over so I assume he was higher ranking) said, "we didn't find anything so do what you want. " With that all the cops left but the one who pulled me over. He then wrote me 3 tickets. I was very polite the whole time but pissed becasue I knew at most he had me for a lane change violation and that was a stretch. I went to court and the cop said he remembered me and I was polite and he'd drop everything but give me a 2pt. careless. ( he still seemd pissed at me for some reason though.)

I was pissed about the 2 points and I still think the cop just paniced when he thought I was running ( so he called me as a pursuit) and then he had to save face after calling in all that back up for no reason. From what I over heard he thought I dumped drugs out the window or had some in my possession.

Anyway: The lesson is when you see a cop make a u turn and your not doing anything wrong then just pull over or you will arouse suspicion and get a shitload of tickets.

By the way, I've been pulled over about 30 times and the procedure on this pullover was very weird. Also, the cops seemed really disorganized.... they never even patted down or searched my firend who was in the car but they patted me down 2 times.

Last edited:

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by GIDIEUP
Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to get a lawyer though. We are talking a differrence of $300 or $3000. Sure I can get out of the tickets and say, "In your face copper", but then I would be $2,700 in the hole.

What lawyer are you going to that is charging you that much? I will say that he will most likely charge you more then the $300. It always pays to have a lawyer friend. My uncle is one and though I have never needed him, it sure is nice to know. He is also a criminal defense attorney so tickets are a breeze for him, hes helped my friends a few times. I'll be in law school in two years and I plan to help out as many of my friends that I can.

Goodluck Man!

sbro712

Established Member

Had a person on a DWI try that on me once, after the jury found him not guilty. He didn't look as happy after I pointed out to him that over the two day trial I was on O/T the whole time and had earned almost $700 while he had just spent: $500 to get out of jail, $150 to get his car out of the pound, and $5000 on his attorney.

Sephiroth

Established Member
Originally posted by sbro712
Had a person on a DWI try that on me once, after the jury found him not guilty. He didn't look as happy after I pointed out to him that over the two day trial I was on O/T the whole time and had earned almost $700 while he had just spent: $500 to get out of jail, $150 to get his car out of the pound, and $5000 on his attorney.

Well, no offesne, but if the DWI isn't on his record it was well worth it IMO. :shrug:

unreal_420

i think i got you beat

dude that sux that you got those 3 tickets all at once but i got it worse, seriously i probably should have pt on a dress and some lipstick cuz i got straight ****ed byt his cop!!! lemme tell you about what happend to me. so i get pulled over for ****in blazin down a road in austin right goin 85 in a 50, so im like **** man i aint got my licence or my insurance so im really ****ed right, no way it gets worse when he walked up to my window he saw my 12" bong sitting on the floor in the back of the car so i figure im going to jail you know oh and my rear tail light broke out just the day before. so you got 3 i got 5 and boy was that the most expensive shit i ever had to pay in my life.

:cuss: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread