3 Weeks of Frustration! Bucking/Surging FIX!! Flaming rag in the gas tank!!

Pony Problem

Established Member
Ok..this may be long...so consider yourself warned!

lll just start off with details of the car.

2002 Mustang GT Vert
80k Miles / 5 speed

Modifications:
ProCharger 8lb kit
42 lb injectors
255 pump
78mm TB
Diablo Mas-air-extender
off-road H, and 40 series
Custom tune

Thats all the main things.. now onto the saga that continues like a badly written soap with no plot....

Got the car localy, about 2 months ago. Car didnt feel like it was as quick as it should be. Got in touch with my tuner and asked the owner to have it re-tuned by him before I would by the car. Car was tuned via email, and it was a completely different animal.

Bought the car do DD as, my 700hp Termi is not so fun to DD with a stage 5 clutch... Car ran great,..until about 5 weeks ago, I got a DTC. Checked it out, and it was a bank 2 lean code. Well...erased the code, and drove for a little bit to see if it would come back. It did, and this time it was bad heater circuits in BOTH O2's. I said, fine, and got the car in the air to see what was going on. Had a small leak where the H pipe meets the manifold, so figured that was causing the Lean code for that bank. Fixed the leak, and while I was at it, put new 02's (FORD) in the car with extensions, as the ones that were on there were cut/spliced. Desided while I was under the car, to take the MAF off, and clean it, due to the filter just being GROSS. Its right in front of the wheel, behind the fender, and a PITA to get to while the cars on the ground..figured what the heck.. Didnt figure it needed it, but just thought I'd do it. Cleaned it, put it back together, and she ran great. No more DTC's.

Drove it for about a week, put probably 200 miles on it. Start to notice that the car is not running right. I usually baby my toys, so the problem may have started sooner then the 200 miles, but I didnt get it into boost until the end of the week. She was bucking/surging a little about 3k. Didnt run her WOT due to wanting to figure out the issue. Skip a week. At 2k+ under 1/3 to 1/2 Throttle, major bucking. Got on the horn with my tuner, and we try and figure it out. Heres what Ive done so far.

New fuel filter
New Plugs
New Maf
New FRPS

The day I did the fuel filter, plugs, and FRPS, I took the car out for a drive. Thought it was fixed. Bucking was completely gone. Next time I hopped in the car, it was back. FML at this point...:fm:

Ive Stuck the beast on the data logger over the course of all this, many times. Appears to be leaning out above 2k. But, its not the tune. I loaded in the ATI tune, and then re-loaded the tune from Mike. Same thing with both tunes. The bucking is better after the new parts, but still VERY noticeable. Laptop battery crashed, so I cant datalog her while driving... only idleing in my garage. :nonono:

02's are doing their job, switching correctly.
Maf counts are about right
Fuel Pressure is right (cant view it driving, so may be the next thing I look at)

Car doest have a wide-band. Cant drive it to get one put in, and no trailer for the time being. So im open to suggestions. Sorry for the long post..just want to get the whole thing in there to avoid silly questions. Im tired of looking at it in my garage, and not being able to drive it!!

Users who are viewing this thread