300zx owners??

wowsers

Established Member
I know this may not be a popular topic but any 300zx owners in here? I owned an NA 300zx years ago and have always wanted a TT. The prices have skyrocketed over the past few years and non-molested ones are getting harder to find. We’re building a shed soon, so i have a spot opening up in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tistan

Established Member
Everyone I know that owned one got rid of that money pit. Too many reliability problems when they were newer, and not fun to work on.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I had a n/a 300zx. It was the most ergonomic drivers seat ive been in. It was a blast to drive. I have no idea how i sent two rods though the block at 70+ mph on the way home. Some big a$$ trees stopped me "gently" after i flew across the rest of the right lane. All I am saying that there were activities weekly.

wowsers

Established Member
I had a n/a 300zx. It was the most ergonomic drivers seat ive been in. It was a blast to drive. I have no idea how i sent two rods though the block at 70+ mph on the way home. Some big a$$ trees stopped me "gently" after i flew across the rest of the right lane. All I am saying that there were activities weekly.
I loved my z back in the day. IMO one of the best looking cars ever made.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Buddy had one years ago. Lost control, went across some lanes and hit a tree. Died on the spot.
He spent a lot of time/money restoring it.

Sorry, doesn't really answer the OP, but brought back some memories.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a friend that had a twin turbo'd one in high school. it was pretty awesome.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
When my Lightning sells, I would consider a 400z if I didn't need a truck as a daily. It would be one of the only toys id want with a manual. I'm sick of my daily which is a manual.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the older Zs. There was a Taiwanese dude down the street that had one just like this when I was a kid

The 350s have never done anything for ne. The 400 looks awesome.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the older Zs. There was a Taiwanese dude down the street that had one just like this when I was a kid

The 350s have never done anything for ne. The 400 looks awesome.

I’d love a 240Z Restomod with a Sr20-DET swap.

A coat hanger can bring out the kid in you.

Recon

Established Member
I always heard the TT engine referred to the twin engine for maintenance reasons. If anything went out; and there was more than one of said part, you replaced them all.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Roush6018

Established Member
yes i had A 1990 Twin turbo automatic that i bought not running. i took apart the engine and found 1 bent rod. i never even drove the thing and i manual swapped it. i got a reman engine back when they were cheap and i found a 5 speed. got the car running on the Auto ECU and it was driving but had lack of power. i took it to Z car garage in san jose and diag showed my car thought it was in park due to the auto ECU. i then swapped the ECU to a twin turbo 5-speed ECU, and that car was so much fun to drive!!!! on highway 1 coast of Cali in that car T-Tops open and turbos singing was my Favorite memory.

reason i sold it is because i noticed the truck and SUV bumpers were aimed directly at me or my passenger when driving, that 1990 300zx TT is very low stock , seemed like the car would not protect in a accident, it was a weird feeling. i sold and i did miss it but i have my Cobra that i have fun on the weekends with.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
All seriousness, I'd just get a 2-seat NA and do a 2JZ NA-T swap. The VG30DETT is a total PITA. A 3000GT VR4 is actually easier to work on.

The car on paper should have achieved Supra or Skyline status, but didn't and that's because of that bullshit engine.

The 2+2 car is damn ugly.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
All seriousness, I'd just get a 2-seat NA and do a 2JZ NA-T swap. The VG30DETT is a total PITA. A 3000GT VR4 is actually easier to work on.

The car on paper should have achieved Supra or Skyline status, but didn't and that's because of that bullshit engine.

The 2+2 car is damn ugly.

I mean they make LS swap kits for these cars, I'd much rather do that over a NA-T 2JZ if we're going that far. Feel like it'd be less work to make the same or more power with a LS versus a NA-T converted 2JZ.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Way back in the day a good friend had a 240z pretty quick back then. Then they got fat and other than the TT the 300 couldn’t keep up. I’ve always liked them and the 370 revived them.
They should have been at 400 hp fifteen years ago.IMHO they should be 100hp less than a basic GTR.
Would buy a 370 if I found a bargain, 6sp of course

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I mean they make LS swap kits for these cars, I'd much rather do that over a NA-T 2JZ if we're going that far. Feel like it'd be less work to make the same or more power with a LS versus a NA-T converted 2JZ.

Naw, just buy a 'vette at that point. The appeal of these 90's Japanese cars is the turbo 4s and 6s. Even the RX7, a lot of redneck stupidity around building powerful/reliable 13Bs. People freakout and want to drop a small block in it.

If your actually all hung up on making 1500whp and running 6s or having some gutted track car, plenty of cheaper chassis these days then building a $15k Z32 or $30K FD.

Users who are viewing this thread