302S shifter problem

smitty328

Established Member
I have a Boss S with a TR-6060 transmission and a GT500 short throw shifter. Over the last few months I’ve had a few hard 3 to 2 downshifts that felt kind of like a course grind but no noise. After the last one, my shifter has a ton of play even when in gear. The top of the handle moves about 2 inches back and forth, but it shifts fine.

I installed an aftermarket shifter but had to take it out because it wouldn't go into reverse, so I’m back to my old one. Are there any internal parts in the shifter? It doesn’t look like there are.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Mountain306

Established Member
I believe the 302S still uses a remote shifter like the GT500. The shifter itself is just a lever, pivot and base with linkage - nothing too special about it.

Im not sure what happened with the shifter or what you are doing to have it become loose as you say. Although they can break, a broken shifter is odd.

A 1-2 shift [up shift] at high RPM's is a common concern with the remote shifter TR6060's, but I really dont hear much with 3-2 [downshifts]. Specific details may help.

Users who are viewing this thread