306 Turbo Build

Midnight306

Hey guys have a few questions for you :??:

Right now I'm a college student and living at home trying to build a brutal street beast for the weekends. I have a 302 roller block at the machine shop with plans of taking it 0.030" over next week. Now the questions...

Current laundry list of parts to go on it-

-gt40 Iron heads off of a 96' Ford explorer
-gt40 upper and lower intake, also off the 96' Explorer
-70mm mass air flow
-BBK shorty headers
-Under-drive pulleys

*Shooting for 450-500rwp*

1) I'm going for an affordable turbo build, either a 65mm or 70mm turbo. After talking with the machine shop owner he suggested an 8.0:1 compression ratio. Since I'll be running gt40 heads (64cc chambers?) which dish pistons should I run?

2) Which injectors would be best? I've read 36lb. and 42lb but for a daily driver, which would be best?

3) Already working on a 190 or 255 fuel pump, will an FPR be necessary? If so, what do I set it at?

4) What cam do I run on it? I've been reading up on overlap with turbo's so I wasn't sure what to run? Perhaps a b-303 or e-303, or go f-303?

I plan on doing all the plumbing myself and rigging up an intercooler myself also, custom fab work keeps me busy

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks guys! :bowdown:

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i suggest a custom grind cam and a 60 65mm turbo. i think anything bigger than that is to much for your setup. and do atleast 42lb injectors and 255lph pump with a trex inline pump also. the 42lb injectors are good to 465flywheel hp and 90% duty cycle with a forced induction setup. that setup should net u 440hp wheel no problem

Svt KC

Established Member
If your looking into turbo kits check out On3 Performance. You can get a complete kit, 70mm turbo, 255 pump, 42 lb injectors,Mass Air Meter,for a good price. For the money you can't beat it. I've seen stock 5.0's with these kits make 500rwhp.As far as cams you mention f-303 would be your best bet with a turbo. Personally I would look into different heads like afr, but if not the intake and heads you have look into TMOSS Porting, Tom does an awesome job of porting for the price.This I think would be an affordable build. Other things missing; 3.27 gears, drag radials,a good clutch at least ,suspension mods would help, and a good tuner a must.It will be a street beast for the weekends.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
If your looking into turbo kits check out On3 Performance. You can get a complete kit, 70mm turbo, 255 pump, 42 lb injectors,Mass Air Meter,for a good price. For the money you can't beat it. I've seen stock 5.0's with these kits make 500rwhp.As far as cams you mention f-303 would be your best bet with a turbo. Personally I would look into different heads like afr, but if not the intake and heads you have look into TMOSS Porting, Tom does an awesome job of porting for the price.This I think would be an affordable build. Other things missing; 3.27 gears, drag radials,a good clutch at least ,suspension mods would help, and a good tuner a must.It will be a street beast for the weekends.

Agreed. Build the 306 first, the suspension can handle that without much problem if you don't beat the piss out of it. However, my 306 with my n20 setup simply cannot take take the power without subframes or suspension. I hit the arming switch when I come in 2nd gear and the car just goes sideways when it comes on. A 306 turbo build will have to have chassis stiffening and supporting mods to do the job. My advice is to build the 306, and get absolutely wasted and laid (responsibly) while your in college. Cars can always come later, dad preached that to me, I didn't listen, and while I got a good build, I have a build that I sure as hell woulda done differently.

Midnight306

I have an extra 69' block laying in the garage that I won't have a use for. It's already bored and has machine work done, that with any luck I can sell or trade. Same with a 347 stroker crank. Looking to trade the block and crank to a local guy in exchange for a used set of 42's, a 255 fuel pump and possibly an f303 cam. As far as the heads go, I can't really afford a nice set of aluminum ones :( but I'm already getting port work done on the explorer heads from our local machine shop guy, he's been around for ages, he knows his stuff haha. For gears I already had my 8.8 rebuilt with 3.73's and a posi rebuild kit. Also went ahead and did a budget 5-lug swap all the way around and just picked up some 03' mustang wheels, 17x9's. On my 15x8's I'm gonna mount up some 275/55/15 slicks my buddy just gave me as he's selling his car. Other suspension mods would include using 4-cyl front springs to get the front end down and full length home-made boxed sub-frame connectors. The transmission I'm worried about... I'll have to look into a TKO.

Agreed. Build the 306 first, the suspension can handle that without much problem if you don't beat the piss out of it. However, my 306 with my n20 setup simply cannot take take the power without subframes or suspension. I hit the arming switch when I come in 2nd gear and the car just goes sideways when it comes on. A 306 turbo build will have to have chassis stiffening and supporting mods to do the job. My advice is to build the 306, and get absolutely wasted and laid (responsibly) while your in college. Cars can always come later, dad preached that to me, I didn't listen, and while I got a good build, I have a build that I sure as hell woulda done differently.
04-06-2010 11:28 PM

I do plan on getting the motor done first. Just gonna build it with an 8.0:1 compression ratio for now and add the turbo later. Cars can come later, but I'm sick of losing to cobras, evo's, sti's, srt8's and countless other, "Hey look! Daddy bought my car!" retards that don't know anything about building cars. Andddddd I'm completely satisfied with my college experience :coolman: I'm getting it all, don't worry hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread