315 trouble / spacer

LSwat

Established Member
Did some searching, found that it's usually hit or miss with 315's on the back of these cars. I have Nitto 555's NOT 555r's. Drag radials are wider then standard summer tires. Also, according to some research any spacer wider then 3/8th's requires that you get different studs. Assuming this is because you are puting more stress on them by making the tires extend out further.

The tires themselves are actually hitting the IRS, I was thinking a 1 inch spacer. Since this obviously exceeds 3/8th of an inch I would need the stronger studs. My question is how safe is this? Any other alternatives? Running a standard pullied cobra for the moment, but plan to make more power in the future.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I run regular 555's on a 10.5" replica, and I don't have a spacer?? The bolt may touch while the suspension is hanging, but once on the ground it may be fine.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
26804300138_large.jpg

26804300067_large.jpg

26804300056_large.jpg

Last edited:

LSwat

Established Member
I run regular 555's on a 10.5" replica, and I don't have a spacer?? The bolt may touch while the suspension is hanging, but once on the ground it may be fine.

My tire was actually hitting the IRS and could not be mounted correctly when it was jacked up :shrug: Think 3/8th spacers will be enough?

LSwat

Established Member
What rims?

I am running 315's with a 3/8 spacer, ground IRS Bolts. No issues at all.

What brand? Any safety issues I should worry about with spacers and drag racing? Did you have to use different studs?

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Couple questions:

Are you running the low profile IRS bolts?

Were you trying to mount with stock bolts and suspension at full hang?

FYI, once on the ground my car has about 1/2" of clearance.

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
I am running BFG KD's. Have been for 7 years with no issues.

Will tell you guys I read the original post and it said the tire was hitting the IRS with no mention of the bolt. I was thinking a 315 may have been squeezed on to a 9" rim and ballooned out. I really wasn't sure what was up.

If it is just the bolt hitting, take the bolt and grind 2/3's of the head off. Just enough so you can get a 6 point socked on it and reassemble. That is what I did. I bought extra bolts from Ford. Ground them and took them with me to the tire store when I had the hole thing done.

I went the factory bolt route as there are a lot of designators stamped on the head of that bolt meaning it is engineered. For around $4 each, why chance it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Why does everyone take the time to grind the bolt, when you can just install the MM's that cost $9.95?

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
Because my car was on the lift at the tire store and I wanted it done.

$9.95 + shipping + waiting < $8.00 + 5 minutes away + 5 minutes on a bench grinder

LSwat

Established Member
Couple questions:

Are you running the low profile IRS bolts?

Were you trying to mount with stock bolts and suspension at full hang?

FYI, once on the ground my car has about 1/2" of clearance.

Yes I am running the low profile IRS bolt.

The IRS bolts that are usually grind-ed down have been replaced with the round headed bolts. Yes, the car was completely jacked up off the ground by the jacking point located towards the rear of the car, but in front of the control arms.

The Tires were hitting the IRS itself, the top of the tire would not sit properly in the wheel well.

Is everyone implying that I need to jack up the control arm a little bit once it is off the ground so the arm isn't at full hang?

LSwat

Established Member
I was figuring it would be a smooth fit....main concern is I don't want the suspension unloading if I hit a hard bump wile I got some speed on the vehicle and blowing out a tire.....Also not sure of the "reliability" of spacers either.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yes I am running the low profile IRS bolt.

The IRS bolts that are usually grind-ed down have been replaced with the round headed bolts. Yes, the car was completely jacked up off the ground by the jacking point located towards the rear of the car, but in front of the control arms.

The Tires were hitting the IRS itself, the top of the tire would not sit properly in the wheel well.

Is everyone implying that I need to jack up the control arm a little bit once it is off the ground so the arm isn't at full hang?

What type of wheel are you installing? Just seems like the offset is completely wrong as nobody has had the same problem.

LSwat

Established Member
What type of wheel are you installing? Just seems like the offset is completely wrong as nobody has had the same problem.

I am installing Chrome Cobra deep dish wheel replicas from Americanmuscle 17 x 10.5. What is the correct offset?

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
I have concerns too. Mine was quick, small spacers and grinding the bolt heads. 15 minutes all good.

I have AFS 10.5 X 17 Cobra Reps. I stood there with the guy when he balanced them and they needed minimal wait. Good wheels.

A return maybe?

LSwat

Established Member
I have concerns too. Mine was quick, small spacers and grinding the bolt heads. 15 minutes all good.

I have AFS 10.5 X 17 Cobra Reps. I stood there with the guy when he balanced them and they needed minimal wait. Good wheels.

A return maybe?

Do you happen to know your offset?

Users who are viewing this thread