335i vs. 2003 Cobra vs. 07 GT500

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
So a year ago I start looking for GT500's- obviously marked up WAY too high.. but I wanted one bad.. like REALLY bad.. :banana: But the idea of paying 20k over sticker was a major turn-off. Still, I ran the numbers and suprise suprise- I could actually afford a 20k over Coupe.

Now that got me thinking.. what else is in that price range worth considering?? After some digging I found a car that met my criteria.. had to be boosted, have nav, more high-end goodies.. and here comes the 335i hard top vert :) Started in April, did European Delivery (http://www.edbmw.com/main/) and finally had it in late Aug 2007 (my timing; could have gotten it a month earlier).

So... Going from a 472hp Cobra to a 335i hard top sedan...It was odd at first; the Cobra is more RAW, in your face, crush everything at a stop light. It was rare to go more than a few weeks and not get challanged by something fun (all safe of course). But it was loud..I commuted 86 miles a day and it was all but impossible to have a good cell call. It drank gas..but DAYUM, it was fun each and every single day.

The 335... I can tell it what track to play on an MP3 filled DVD..or tell the Nav a destination, or the phone to call a name, number.. the heated seats are like...well, compared to any Ford, like throwns..just amazing. The sound, almost as loud but 500% better/clearer..it has HD, Sat, iDrive, Sport, Premium, it'll all but give you a handie in a very German efficent way.

HANDLING
In terms of perfect curve, ultimate grip- suprisingly, i'd put both equal. Where the Bimmer shines is hard to describe.. but it's ****ing wonderful. Little too much body roll for me tho. The 6spd auto is the best auto i've ever driven- it just KNOWS.. well mostly.

MODING
Both cars mod well- the Cobra for more power but someone just put a 335i in the 11's with the stock long block and not that many mods. Nobody's blown one up yet, so we don't know what the weak point is.. I have a piggy back that ups the boost from 8ish to 13ish and it works VERY well...

I did put an intercooler on it last week- Spearco unit. One thing I can say- they do engineer the HELL out of there cars..Never seen that many screws in my life, but 95% of them were all the same and the hoses and clamps are really top-notch.

QUALITY
Suprisingly, Ford and BMW are not that far apart- I'd say a modern Ford and Bimmer are very very close. Parts-wise, BMW wins hands down, but that's one of the thinks you pay for too..

What everyone says about German electronics is 100% true- they kinda suck; and iDrive DOES have some issues.. Call this one even- BMW gets points for trying some wacky options, but they can be...cranky. Ford less techno, but they work.

Having just crossed 9k miles I can say it's worth it if you can afford it- especially if you commute far, it reduced the traffic stress by.. 95% It is all but completely invisible to cops- they pass ME at 90..the Cobra was a rolling target. Putting the top down on a sunny day with some 320 rwhp & 350 rwtq- better than Valium..

Bottom line is- it was a shame to make a Ford loyalist buy something else, but change is indeed good... Still waiting for my first GOOD race, tho have run a CLK55 (pulled up top) an E46 M3 (same, pulled away slowly), obliterated some Hondas.. All in all, highly recommended :)

Opinions?

Last edited:

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
Price was 55,555 (all fives); about 60 and change total out the door.. Euro delivery saved me around 4k off the car and options..

Did you get the active cruise control? If so, have you used it, and is it very responsive if the person in front of you slows or accelerates quickly?

They are absolutely beautiful cars, by the way.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
The active cruise and active stearing are the only things I didn't get; they're like 2k more each, but i've heard the active stearing is good.. The new 1 series should bring a lot more "other" buyers to them..

One last point- SVT has the best forum; nobody in the bimmer world compares (really).

bunk22

Established Member
Good write up. I went from an 03 Cobra to a C6 but a 335i would certainly be something I would have considered if I were buying today. A friend has one, loves it. A guy at work has one and it's very nice. Any pics??

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
That's a lot more money than a 03/04, but definitely a better car. The wife just got a 08 C300 benz it is a much better car than my Cobra, but much slower. I woulda got the GT500, though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats on the car jeff and nice write up :beer:

so the bottom line comparo as far as sotp stop light acceleration? or maybe estimated 0-60 times both in street trim?

Users who are viewing this thread