$3600 Clutch Replacement??

Salar

Established Member
09 GT500, 35k miles and the clutch is gone. Dealer wants $3600 to replace it...
They said they change slave cylinder, flywheel and pretty much everything...
I don't want to pay that much, anyone got a better solution?

tistan

Established Member

usmc_mustang

Established Member
I'm replacing my clutch in my 09 also. You are getting screwed at that price. I bought a Mcleod RXT clutch and flywheel and a new slave for around 1600. Basically you are getting a stock clutch from the dealer and getting charged over 2000 for labor at the price they quoted you. Do it yourself or find a shop to do it. I would think labor should be in the range of 800 bucks.

jbs$

Established Member
Get a wrecker and go get your car. Why even talk to crooks? For $700 - $1000, a good shop will fix what you need.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
That is highway robbery. You go buy a new clutch, fly, and slave and take it somewhere they aren't going to screw you. I wouldn't pay any more than $800 in labor. I can do a clutch on my back in my garage in about 3-4 hours.
Then look for a reputable tranny shop. To install everything.

I'm replacing my clutch in my 09 also. You are getting screwed at that price. I bought a Mcleod RXT clutch and flywheel and a new slave for around 1600. Basically you are getting a stock clutch from the dealer and getting charged over 2000 for labor at the price they quoted you. Do it yourself or find a shop to do it. I would think labor should be in the range of 800 bucks.

Agreed in general. Not sure about doing it yourself in 3-4 hours.

Steve

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
Buy a McLoud or SPEC for $1500 that comes with everything and then get a better shop to install. My shop just did a clutch swap for me for $350. I think average price will be $600 for a swap.

JDUB348

Established Member
Never pay someone to do a clutch for you. It is very simple. Buy the clutch of your choice, do it yourself, and no lies mind will be blown by how easy it is

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Never pay someone to do a clutch for you. It is very simple. Buy the clutch of your choice, do it yourself, and no lies mind will be blown by how easy it is

True on many vehicles but I think you'll find that most GT500 owners disagree with you. Check some of the forums.

Steve

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It took me 6 hours to do the RXT in my car and I work on cars for a living, the hardest part of the hole job is pulling the transmission and re installing it, the TR6060 is a big girl.

MattR

Established Member
Shop dropped the K member and engine down on mine but still had it out rebuilt the trans and had it back in the car in a little over 2 days. I've changed 3 mustang clutches and probably wouldn't do my GT 500 myself. It's just too big to do on my back.

91z28350

Established Member
Clutch (spec SS trim), new slave cylinder and pilot bearing =$1700. Install at the shop ~$300(they have done all my work so I get a good deal on labor rates). 2k total for a new dual disc, installed with new ford slave and pilot. So yes, that dealer basically asked you to eat the pillow ;)

SuperFly03

Established Member
09 GT500, 35k miles and the clutch is gone. Dealer wants $3600 to replace it...
They said they change slave cylinder, flywheel and pretty much everything...
I don't want to pay that much, anyone got a better solution?

That's about what the dealer wanted when my '07 GT500 clutch went so that doesn't surprise me.

There is a reason everyone goes aftermarket after the OEM one dies.

Aftermarket shouldn't be more than $1500 give or take a few $ depending on what you buy.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Go w/ the RXT. I had mine done @ the dealer and I believe it was $700, I was quoted a ridiculous amount for a stock replacement clutch.

fullboogie

Established Member
The days of bench pressing a tranny back into place by yourself are over. As mentioned above, the 6060 is very heavy. See if you can beg/borrow a lift for half a day and grab a few buddies to help you. It's not a technically difficult job - just labor intensive. Kind of like doing headers.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Ah the joy of having work done at the dealership, do yourself a favor and buy a Mcleod or spec and have a trans shop install it. You will never have to worry about it again, might as well do the shifter, slave cylinder, steel clutch line and some amsoil in the trans/diff too. She will shift like a knife into warm butter after that, mine does.

Marty Staggs

Twin Boost
Established Member
True on many vehicles but I think you'll find that most GT500 owners disagree with you. Check some of the forums.

Steve

I considered it for about 5 minutes and decided hell no!

Had the pros at GTR do it and even they did not look like they were having fun with that beast of a trans.

main.php

- Aj -

Established Member
I work at a dealer and agree that is way too much. Its a 4 hour job for a trans tech.

Users who are viewing this thread