4.10 Gear Install

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I know this subject is beaten like a dead horse but I have a few more questions that I have found very different answers to.

1. Do I need the traction lock rebuild kit? My car has 63k miles on it, and it is a Cobra. AM states that the stock pieces on SVT cobra's are the same as the carbonfiber disk rebuild kit that they have (frpp). Idk about that, if true wouldn't they still be okay since they are more durable than that of GT's? I don't launch it, in fact it doesn't even get raced.

(random google searches said: "only if it's been launched a lot tracked. "only if you track it a lot" "do it for peace of mind" "if it is doing 1 wheel peals than replace them" <-- which it doesn't, it's still doing 2 wheel fires)

2. Are axle bearings necessary to replace? I know it will be an option since it's opened up back there, but if not necessary with such low mileage than I'd rather skip on them.

3. This is not a question but rather some info. The car won't see more than 9k miles a year so I figured I won't need to replace anything in the diff again for sometime, since it currently sits at 63k miles.

Sorry if that was a long post. And sorry for the repetitive thread but those random answers weren't cutting it for me. Plus they pertained to mostly GT subsections of different forums.
I'd like to know this info rather quickly so that I can order the frpp install kit, speed cal, and trac lok rebuild kit if necessary so that they get here by Friday, since my install appt. is on Monday!

THANKS in advance!!!!!

LDC2335

Established Member
The CF clutch packs are OEM in the 03-04 cobras, not ours. Most would say do them. However i did not, mines locks great and only has 49,xxx miles, so i felt no need since i was on a budjet.

If you dont beat on your car too much, or plan on a power adder, you should be fine with just the gears and a complete install kit. Thats what i did, again, on a budget.

Axle Bearings come in most of the install kits, just do em.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-88-pinion-kit-8604.html#tab4

Initially i planned on a full rebuild with 31 spline axels and everything, but since i had to do clutch and flywheel at the same time, i had to chill somewhere.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks for replying. Yeah AM worded it as "SVT cobras and Shelby SVT cobras" have them from the factory. Yeah I mean I'm not on a budget but I'd just rather not spend more money if I don't have to. Yeah I hear you on the budget though, the clutch and flywheel would be more important to me also.

I was going to order the kit made by motive but it doesn't have the axel seals and bearings. I changed my mind and ordered the FRPP kit like the one you linked. That one has everything.

Talked to the guys at the shop that are going to do it and they recommended the trac lock rebuild kit only to avoid doing a tear up later down the road. He also agreed that if it doesn't see much track use nor many miles/year it should be fine since the stock track lock should be okay until about 100k miles.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Just my $.02 but I would rebuild it reguardless of mileage. If later on down the road you wana get more serious atvthe track the rear will be ready. Nothing is more anoying then haveing a nice car doing one wheel peels at the track. Plus you save money by not having to pay the shop to go in their again and fixing it. Speend more now, save latter.

LDC2335

Established Member
Rebuild it while you are there.

I completely agree, if money is not the issue, do it. Go all out.

Like i said, i was well over 2 grand in parts after clutch and flywheel and rear parts, so didnt have another dime to put in, plus my installer wanted like 100 more + parts.

i wont hit 100,000 miles for like 10 years, so im not to worried unless i start to track it.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks for the help fellas! Yeah I went ahead and bought the rebuild kit for the track lock. I ran into a problem now though; AM is out of stock on the speed cal. Summit doesn't carry it and a few other places don't. Shucks. I don't want to not have the speed cal in there. My install is programmed for next Monday and I don't think I'll have a speedcal in by than.

It most likely won't get thrashed, I'm a conservative driver and don't even get on it haha. I want to start going to the track though, not frequently but just enough to practice and learn to drive better. So it's a good idea I guess.

LDC I think you made a wise decision. Saved yourself some money and with good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread