4.10 gear question

Mat5.0

Established Member
First off, I'm NOT trying to start yet another "which gear ratio is best" thread. I've already got 4.10s sitting in my spare room waiting to be installed as I've researched out and think they'll be the best setup for what I want and my current setup (running T56 magnum XL with 2.97 first gear, no longer have MT-82)

Just trying to get some feedback on guys who have done 4.10 gears, with any transmission, and how they felt about them and whether or not they had gear whine or not. Obviously a lot of times gear whine is because of a bad install but curious nonetheless.

nxhappy

Established Member
Nothing wrong with 410s if you can hook em. Just get a nice DR or slicks. Gears should NOT whine as long as the lash is set to correct specs. If you have not installed gears yourself I highly recommend having a shop install them.

Mat5.0

Established Member
oh I'm definitely having a shop do it. I'm typically a DIY guy but I won't touch my transmission or rear gears. i'll do ALMOST anything else as long as I have the time
shouldn't have a problem hooking, I do run drags for strip and I have the NT555 G2 for street driving. obviously not a DR but they're pretty good for a street tire as long as you're not dropping clutch at 5000RPM from a dead stop

Mat5.0

Established Member
2012, SCJ manifold, FRPP twin 65mm TB, FRPP CAI, SW 1 7/8 LT w/ OR X, borla OTA, T56 Magnum trans with stg 2 clutch, one piece DS, AED tune.
One reason I probably have a little less wheel spin than most on my street tires is I run a 305. definitely felt a difference when I first started running them a little over a year ago. I mean yeah its still a street compound tire and you can spin it but its a pretty fair compromise between survivability for a daily and decent traction
oh and I almost forgot to mention I just added a GT500 spoiler that obviously adds 20HP

nxhappy

Established Member
I think the 410s should be perfect for your application. it will take a while to get used to the new gears...launching will be very different. I would highly recommend some DRs (nitto, MT, Toyo etc).

Mat5.0

Established Member
yeah. I had 305/35R19 NT05R on the rear for a while when the car wasn't my daily and loved them, but the motor on my DD truck went out so I put a more reasonable tire on it. I'd love to run the NT05R all the time but it rains pretty consistently here and I had a pretty frightening run in with a huge puddle that literally put me inches away from totaling the car, so that pretty much solidified my decision to get a more reasonable tire. so far the NT555 G2 have been good

in about 6 months I'm gonna be picking up a new daily driver and will probably just get a set of MT Street Rs on some 15s and keep them on the back.

I love this car but driving it daily in traffic is testing the limits of my love! though the daily traffic should get better with the 4.10s, currently have 3.55s and it requires a bit of pedal finesse to get it to launch without revving like a ricer. hilarious when trying to teach my wife how to drive it though.

Flcracker

Established Member
I'm curious as to how many TVS setups stayed with the stock 3.31 gears with the T56 2.97? It seems that most turbo, Vortech, and Pro Chargers with the the 2.66 T56 version go with a 3.73 or 4.10.

Last edited:

Jdm351

Established Member
I'm curious as to how many TVS setups stayed with the stock 3.31 gears with the T56 2.97? It seems that most turbo, Vortech, and Pro Chargers with the the 2.66 T56 version go with a 3.73 or 4.10.
For a cobra jet manifold car I'd want a 4.56 or higher. With a 28 inch tall tire, 125 mph trap is only 6800 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread