4.10 gear questions

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Should I just replace the bearings and rebuild the clutch pack for the rear end as well, while I am doing the 4.10's? There's some good sales floating around for gear kits. Just curious what I should grab for the 4.10's and if I should grab a rebuild kit for the clutch pack and bearings as well. Also what else will I need to do for the gear install?

I also was reading about rear end vibration with a factory drive shaft with aftermarket gears, is this true?[/I]

svt_cobra01

Established Member
get the install kit, its on americanmuscle it comes with everything you need for the rear end. i would never recommend just doing gears because those bearings can go out and you will have to take it all apart all over again. im not sure about the vibration ive never experienced that with a gears install, ive heard some stories though about bad vibration after getting new gears. that can be from not being installed correctly. i do know they need to be broken in, so thats another reason

OW99

Established Member
If it has low miles the bearings should be fine. Don't need to break gears in. Only when the axle housing is dry it's good to either jack it up and idle it in 3rd or so or drive around slowly for about a 1/4 mile to get oil on the axle bearings. Otherwise let it rip. And you might develop a vibration if the driveshaft is slightly out of balance as it'll now spin faster and be more apparent

Users who are viewing this thread