4.10s or 3.73s?

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
Considering putting gears in my otherwise stock 13. I daily drive it, but only about 15 miles a day. The car will see a little time at the 1/4, but other than that I'm just looking for a little seat of the pants feel. Do you guys suggest 3.73s or 4.10s? What RPM range would I be at with 4.10s in 6th around 80mph?

Also, do I need to pick up an sct/ngauge or can a Ford dealer recalibrate my speedometer?

99VERT

Established Member
I just put in 4.10s and 2000 RPMs at 80MPH on the highway. You will be rowing the gears alot with the 4.10s but they really wake up the off boost cruising of the car. Mine is a weekend warrior so the extra shifting doesn't bother me.

Softballer77

Established Member
With my FRPP 4.10s I was about 1950 at 80mph. (there are a few calculators out there if you want to play with different gear ratios).

General rule of thumb is under 800rwhp, 4.10s. Over 800rwhp, 3.73s. At 710 to the rear in mine I was right at about 7k rpm going through the traps at 134 and the 4.10s.

I have gone off the beaten usual path and just installed 3.90s for an in-between, but when i first put my 4.10s in after being used to 3.31s...WOW. Viscious.

dale.baker

Established Member
4:11's all the way. Had 3:70's for 20 miles and took them out. Car is much more fun to drive and as others have said you can actually use 6th gear without putting excess strain on the clutch. JMHO.

railroad

Established Member
I do not think you will regret either gear. I shift 2nd to 4th with the 3.73s street driving and never lug the engine.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Split it down the middle..................do 3:90's. That's the gear ratio that I plan on doing on mine when the time comes for a gear swap.

Tony

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Split it down the middle..................do 3:90's. That's the gear ratio that I plan on doing on mine when the time comes for a gear swap.

Tony

Ford Racing doesn't make a 3.90 though do they? I know motive does but I've heard they can be noisier then the Ford stuff.

Softballer77

Established Member
Ford Racing doesn't make a 3.90 though do they? I know motive does but I've heard they can be noisier then the Ford stuff.

Ford Racing does not make 3.90s. It's known FRPP makes a better product, but the Motives (4.10s) I had in my other mustang were always quiet. The FRPP 4.10s I put in my current Shelby were whining like a 4year old after a day at the track. I did just pull the 4.10s and put Motive 3.90s in my Shelby recently and they are quiet so far.

I've had nothing but good luck with Motives, but only time will tell.

paluka21

Established Member
You're going to get a lot of different opinions, but in the end either gear will make a substantial difference in how the car feels, and its really driver preference. For me, I went with a 3.73 as I'm not much of a drag racer these days but know the 4.10 would be more suitable for 1/4 mile drag racing.
I personally enjoy a little more elongated gear, but a 3.55 is just too close to the factory 3.31 ratio for my tastes and a 4.10 was just a little too short for the purposes I use my car for. ( Mostly cruising )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread