4.30 Gear install ?

MikeW

Established Member
Ok I want to get 4.30's in the 98 ASAP. Is tehre anything that I would need other than the Master Bearing kit, the speed-cal, and the 4.30 gear? One of my buddy seems to think that I would need "a different carrier pin" for the 4.30. What's the deal?

Thanks,
Mike

98cobradan

Established Member
just go to ur local speed shop they will direct u with the complete, install kit u will need. As far as the speed cal, u can go alot cheaper by buying a speedo gear drive, it goes into the tailshaft of ur transmission, cost like $15. To bad u not putting 4.10's in cuz i have a gear drive for 4.10's that id just mail to ya for free. But if ya dont know what im talkin about just get the speedcal.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
you need the new carrier pin for 4.56 and up gears so you have everything but the fluids

also be happy you got the speed cal, those plastic gear drives will wear down in time and need to be replaced

MikeW

Established Member
you need the new carrier pin for 4.56 and up gears so you have everything but the fluids

also be happy you got the speed cal, those plastic gear drives will wear down in time and need to be replaced

So for the 4.30 no notched carrier pin? I do the have Redline gear lube ready too :beer:

IcarusLSC

...always flying too high
Established Member
We just put 4.30's in my car and didn't have to notch the pin.
The SpeedCal works great, but if you just bought it you may want to give DM a call and get the right code (dip switch setting) from them for it, as the calculator on their website is for the older version unless they changed it this past week...

MikeW

Established Member
We just put 4.30's in my car and didn't have to notch the pin.
The SpeedCal works great, but if you just bought it you may want to give DM a call and get the right code (dip switch setting) from them for it, as the calculator on their website is for the older version unless they changed it this past week...

Thanks for the tip...:beer:

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
I called Ford Racing a couple months back, because the shop that was installing my 4:30 gears was having trouble fitting the pin, and they said if you need a little clearance to just file the gear tooth a little (said it was pretty common practice). I think they got it without filing it though. Also Ford Racing does not make the special carrier pin anymore.

c9obr6a

Established Member
I also had to file a tooth or two a little bit to get the pin in. But this was with a eaton diff. and Motive gears.

blkvenm97

Established Member
I tried the speedo gear in my 97 cobra for 4.10s and it didn't work. the speedo was still about 10 mph off on average. It seems like they sent me the one for 3.73 gears but I ordered the right part #. Not sure what the problem is there....it had the right part # on when it came. will the speed cal fix this problem for good? and accurately?

Users who are viewing this thread