4:30 Gears?

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Do you guys think that 4:30's are too much for a 01 Cobra, I was wanting 4:10's but I've heard that 4:30's are more ideal since you can still go 80 mph and only be at 3K RPM's.

How much difference will there be between 4:10's and 4:30's? Is it even noticable?

Thanks guys Yall Rock!:beer:

Adam:coolman:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Find a car that has 4.30s, then find one that has 4.10s.. Drive or ride in them..

Either will work well, it's just a matter of taste.

BTW.. with stock gears..

4.10s @ 80 MPH = 2876 RPM, with 4.30's it's 3017 RPM

Shawn

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
I have 4:10's and they are nice. If I was still N/A I would want 4:30's just for a bump in ET at the track. I am going to do some testing at the track with my 01 S/C and see if 4:30's will help me any. I need to check 4th. gear rpm's going through the traps and do some math.

Razor.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Theres a guy, on BON, goes by VTSNAKEPK, who runs a blown '99 with 4.30's and he also has a blown '98 with 4.10's, he seemed to like the 4.10's better, said it was more comfortable, I'm in the same boat as you, I'd like to run 4.30's but don't know if its too much with say a vortech. If ya stay N/A go with the 4.30's, I also hear 4.56's ain't so bad if ya want it all. :)

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Thanks Guys,

It would probably be a long time (2-3 Years) before I could get a Supercharger :( so it looks like N/A for me. I think the 4:30's would be my first choice, I don't really even plan on taking the car onto the Highway if I can help it! As far as the speed calibrators go.....would you guys recommend getting a chip over the speed calibrator? I had a Superchip in my 00GT and really gained nothing as far as HP but the d@mn thing cost like $350 with the special calibration for my 3:73's, and I think something must have been wrong with it because my car would stall, go completey dead, at various times for no apperant reason, So I assumed it was the chip hicupping. I really don't think its worth that extra money. I personally would rather hold out for Steeda timing ajuster and speed calibrator, what do you guys think?

Oh, one more thing......will those speedometor calibrators correct odd size gear ratios such as 4:30's? I just recently started seeing 4:30's as an option, I don't even think FRPP makes 4:30's do they?

Thanks you guys RULE!

akatherazor4

Established Member
You can get a Speedcal or an Abbot ERA to correct speedo issues. They run about $100 and will conform to any gear/tire size. I bought a Speedcal and it was the incorrect unit for my car. I got it from Dallas Mustang. Don't shop there, The Customer service sucks big time!!

After the Dallas Mustang/Speedcal issue I went the chip route. I bought a Diablo chip and while it fixed my speedo and turned my check engine light off due to the O/R H-pipe, It did nothing H.P. wise.

I ended up contacting Shawn "Onerichrunner" from So Cal Diablo and he re burned my chip with one of his custom tunes. It flew after that. He did a wonderful job. Point is, The tuner is what makes the chip perform, Not just the chip alone.

Wether you stay N/A or go for a power adder the chip will be a huge benifit to you. The newer cars benifit more from the chip than the older models option wise.

I am running a JMS tuned Autologic chip in my new setup. I'm curious to see how well they can tune a chip. I hear they are the best with Autologic's. I should have it by this weekend and Dyno #'s will follow right away.

Razor.

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Thanks Razor!

I see you are busy at work....just like me!

I can't seem to stay off of this website and get any work done!:bash:

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Adam01Snake
Thanks Razor!

I see you are busy at work....just like me!

I can't seem to stay off of this website and get any work done!:bash:

Ya my friends call me a "Forum Whore".:lol: I also race pocketbikes and Moderate forums on 2 different websites for that hobby. Dude I was online until 4:00am this morning and was signed back on at 9:00am. I think I need to go to Forum whores annonymous.:lol:

P.S. I wonder what my wife looks like these days.:shrug: :lol:

Razor.:loser:

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Thats halarious dude!

I used to spend alot of time on Stangnet when I had my 00 GT that I traded in on an F150 about a year and half ago. I then started looking for F150 forums found F150online.com, started chatting there, Now I am finally back in a mustang and I found this one!

I know what you mean about the wife thing....my wife complains so much when I'm at home on the computer that I have to chat at work so I don't have to hear her MOUTH!!!:bash:

And she wonders why I work late......:D

This Forum is really cool, kinda small in the New Edge Cobra section but over flowing in the 03 Cobra section! I like the fact that I can keep up with all the posts in the new edge cobra section too! I like the other forums OK but I think I like this one the best probably because there seems to be alot of F-body owners on this one so it give more perspective from the Dark Side (Chevy guys) point of views! I especially like it when they come in talking trash cause an 03 Cobra has just taken them to the cleaners! Now thats what lifes all about!

Man, I really enjoy being a Cobra Owner!!!!!!

Later,

akatherazor4

Established Member
Adam,

I like this site too. It seems like you can talk a little smack when need be. I also like the fact that there are Cobra specific forums for each style. I also think the entire layout here is nice. Probably the best thing is the site performes well. No waiting for pages to load.

P.S. I lied, The best thing is having Avatars you can actually see!

Razor.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Had 4.10's in my '99 Cobra, LOVED them....
But I've also driven a friend's '01 with 4.30's.....I like them better....I was thinkin about 4.56's in the spring when I get the T56 in....

Angus

Established Member
4.10's here, but I could see how 4.30's would be very nice too...

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Anguss,

just reading your mods list, seems like you have one bad a$$ Cobra on your hands. Do you have any pictures of it? I would love to see she looks like!

Thanks,

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by Adam01Snake
Anguss,

just reading your mods list, seems like you have one bad a$$ Cobra on your hands. Do you have any pictures of it? I would love to see she looks like!

Thanks,

Here's a pic of the engine:
Engine%20002%20100602.jpg

Hard to see the headers/other exhaust goodies on these cars though.... :dw:

Here's the outside:
Cobra%20092502%20002.jpg

I really need to take some updated pics... It's hard to get good shots of all the mods though!

Stanger

Established Member
Hey Angus66:

That Strut Tower Brace looks great! Which brand is it ?
Any trouble checking / adding oil with the brace on ?
Do you feel a noticeable difference with it on ?

Thanks,

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by Stanger
Hey Angus66:

That Strut Tower Brace looks great! Which brand is it ?
Any trouble checking / adding oil with the brace on ?
Do you feel a noticeable difference with it on ?

Thanks,

The strut brace is a Maximum Motorsports piece. I have no problems checking/adding oil, but it is a pain to get into the fuse box on the driver-side. The brace must come off to remove the throttle body to MAF tube also.

(An important note 'bout the MM brace - some '99+ Cobras have a different alternator and/or bracket than mine, which interferes with the brace enough so that it doesn't fit. MM states this on their website, but I thought it was worth passing-on.)

I like the MM brace alot - it really helps with cowl-shake on my 'vert. The brace probably wouldn't be as noticeable installed on a coupe though...

Stanger

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Angus. I am suprised how
'Loose' my '99 Convt feels. I had a '95 Convt. Cobra that
I added a Strut Tower brace and Kenny brown Super Subs
and it felt much more solid. I'll be ordering the MM strut tower
brace tomorrow. Should I also replace the factory Subframe
connectors with after-market ?? My '95 had none so it was
an easy decision. My '95 did come from Ford with some
kind of vibration damper (just a BIG weight) located in the right front fender ... I wonder if that has something to do with it as well. I hate to add too much extra weight.

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by Stanger
Thanks for the reply Angus. I am suprised how
'Loose' my '99 Convt feels. I had a '95 Convt. Cobra that
I added a Strut Tower brace and Kenny brown Super Subs
and it felt much more solid. I'll be ordering the MM strut tower
brace tomorrow. Should I also replace the factory Subframe
connectors with after-market ?? My '95 had none so it was
an easy decision. My '95 did come from Ford with some
kind of vibration damper (just a BIG weight) located in the right front fender ... I wonder if that has something to do with it as well. I hate to add too much extra weight.

I have the KB Extreme Matrix Sub Frame kit out getting powder-coated right now. I'll let you know how the car is after the install, but a TON of folks who've had just the KB s/f's installed were happy. People who had the whole Matrix kit installed were VERY HAPPY!

Users who are viewing this thread