Ph6Upl.jpg

WTsCVl.jpg

rlt5bl.jpg

xNzGkl.jpg

Yfdz1l.jpg

2Dy7zl.jpg

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Hell yeah! Thing is gonna move out that's forsure. What's all going on with your ride? Mods?

I'm considering 4.56's now that it has moved to weekend car only.

98fourvalve

Established Member
Nothing wrong with 4.56s for the street. I've got 4.30s and wish I had 4.56s. Gas mileage was always mid to upper 20s with them.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Nothing wrong with 4.56s for the street. I've got 4.30s and wish I had 4.56s. Gas mileage was always mid to upper 20s with them.

All highway driving? I'm starting to think some people are exaggerating; not saying you specifically but since I got 4.10's I have seen no better than 17mpg EVER. That was with about 50 highway miles and 135 city stop and go every half mile. I see 185 miles per 10.5-11.8 gallons regularly. I didn't buy it to save gas but c'mon! lol. Anyways, I'm glad I finally got a DD and the fun/gas chugger is going into the garage except weekends. So, 4.56's are now a possibility its just a question of whether I want to spend cash on another gear swap lol.

98fourvalve

Established Member
All highway driving? I'm starting to think some people are exaggerating; not saying you specifically but since I got 4.10's I have seen no better than 17mpg EVER. That was with about 50 highway miles and 135 city stop and go every half mile. I see 185 miles per 10.5-11.8 gallons regularly. I didn't buy it to save gas but c'mon! lol. Anyways, I'm glad I finally got a DD and the fun/gas chugger is going into the garage except weekends. So, 4.56's are now a possibility its just a question of whether I want to spend cash on another gear swap lol.

Yes highway driving is what I averaged it out with. If I drive around 65-75 the average was lower-mid 20s. If I drove 55-60ish it was mid to upper 20s. I would drive from the Tempe/Mesa Area of AZ to my hometown and record fillups with miles taken from my gps and car itself and keep track of how much I put into the tank throughout the trip. On average (I've done the trip multiple times) I see around 24+ mpg. I tend to hammer it hard alot in the mountains as they are lots of fun. It's all in how I drive. Cruise control for me would knock the average down 2-6 mpg depending on the road conditions.

The trip itself is around 1750 miles. Out of the times I've made the trip with varying gas prices ranging from just under $3 a gallon to around $3.50ish I would spend no more than around $240 for the total trip in gas. Which was when gas at the time was around 3.50 which was the most expensive trip I made in it. The other times it was around $200 total 1 way trip.

Keep in mind it has been a few years since I've done it but still.

And 17mpg is terrible. My current untuned 96 gets around that. It's running pig rich. Change the way you drive it on long trips and you will see an increase. My 2v with 4.10s is averaging like 23mpg and it's my girls car who is an animal behind the wheel.

Last edited:

Charizard

Established Member
I decided to find out for myself about the top speed thing. As to fuel economy, I don't care. Around here I run out of road before I run out of gear, so I plan on having a lot of fun with this and I will make some comparison videos.

Charizard

Established Member
Hell yeah! Thing is gonna move out that's forsure. What's all going on with your ride? Mods?

I'm considering 4.56's now that it has moved to weekend car only.

I have everything done short of a supercharger and shortblock.

I don't have 3500 for a sc but I do have $500 for gears, speedcal and
install.

It's sort of like not being able to afford good wine but having
an uncle who has a mash still :)

SVT Rob

Established Member
Yes highway driving is what I averaged it out with. If I drive around 65-75 the average was lower-mid 20s. If I drove 55-60ish it was mid to upper 20s. I would drive from the Tempe/Mesa Area of AZ to my hometown and record fillups with miles taken from my gps and car itself and keep track of how much I put into the tank throughout the trip. On average (I've done the trip multiple times) I see around 24+ mpg. I tend to hammer it hard alot in the mountains as they are lots of fun. It's all in how I drive. Cruise control for me would knock the average down 2-6 mpg depending on the road conditions.

The trip itself is around 1750 miles. Out of the times I've made the trip with varying gas prices ranging from just under $3 a gallon to around $3.50ish I would spend no more than around $240 for the total trip in gas. Which was when gas at the time was around 3.50 which was the most expensive trip I made in it. The other times it was around $200 total 1 way trip.

Keep in mind it has been a few years since I've done it but still.

And 17mpg is terrible. My current untuned 96 gets around that. It's running pig rich. Change the way you drive it on long trips and you will see an increase. My 2v with 4.10s is averaging like 23mpg and it's my girls car who is an animal behind the wheel.

You guys are comparing in town driving to highway driving, apples to oranges. 17mpg in town is "decent". With a tune-up, that's what I'm getting stock, and my car gets driven in town pretty much all the time. Very rarely do I get to cruise for any length of time over 50mph. Stop and go up and down the gears.

When I am able to get out on the highway and run through a tank of fuel at highway speeds, I can nail 27mpg at 75-80mph.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I guess I didn't even consider he was meaning city driving. I figured it was just assumed that we were all talking about highway MPG as that is where most people think of it. At least I do.

Anyway, OP post up some track vids or a nice burnout once they are installed.

Which speedcal are you planning on using? I'd go with the dallas unit. I have the FRPP one on my GT and I hate it. For lack of a better word.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats :beer:

i just put 4.10's in my car and i am still getting used to them. love it around town but seems like i'm creepin' along the highway to keep rpm's around 2200-2300

SVT Rob

Established Member
I guess I didn't even consider he was meaning city driving. I figured it was just assumed that we were all talking about highway MPG as that is where most people think of it. At least I do.

No offense meant, and a lot of folks do think of straight highway driving. I really wish that's all the driving I did, I hate filling the tank every 2-3 days.

98fourvalve

Established Member
No offense meant, and a lot of folks do think of straight highway driving. I really wish that's all the driving I did, I hate filling the tank every 2-3 days.

No problem. I don't get bent out of shape over small things or pretty much anything on the net.

bergz22

Established Member
Now did you buy the clearanced shaft that goes in the spider gears? When I got my 4.56's I read or heard somewhere that this shaft makes things easier or 4.56's won't install without it I can't remember it was 3 years ago. I do know when my guy put them in he said I was lucky I bought that shaft. Just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread