4.6 4v Saleen Question

JB85

Established Member
So I was browsing craigslist on Thursday last week and I just so happened to come across the exact color combo saleen that I have been on a hunt for the last 10 years, and the Saleen just so happened to be a 5 hour drive away from me. It has 22,000 original miles, is in mint condition, and was listed for $17,500. I ran downstairs and was trying to get my wifes attention as she was on a work call with no end in sight. So i decided to take my fate into my own hands, leave the house, text her and say, ill be home by midnight. About an hour into my drive she calls me asking WTF is going on, and I told her that I was on my way to buy the Saleen. she didnt believe I was actually going to buy it until she saw me withdraw the cash out of our account haha. So 5 hours later, I arrived at the car, took one look and knew I had to have it and yes, I was home by midnight with it behind my truck on the trailer.

so now for the one question I am having an interesting time trying to find a right answer for. the current 1996 non PI motor is a slug! 220hp just wont cut it. I have a spare 1997 4.6 4V cobra motor in my garage and I want to swap it into the Saleen. I know this will make a few Saleen purist mad as all hell, but I will keep every original part and the engine so I can change it back one day if needed. I just want more power, and I want the sound of the 4v. But my question is, is how hard is the swap. It seems like from what I can find, its insanely easy. everything except the radiator, radiator hose, and coil pack plugs match up. I just need to extend the coil pack wires. But can anyone confirm if I need to have my cobra ECU in the car? seems like some forums are saying I can use the GT brains no problem.

If someone can confirm it is truly that easy to swap, then I will start on it asap.

Also, I found this website on my car. Looks like the original owner tried to sell it at one point, but it didnt sell.

JB85

Established Member
Should've just bought a 96-98 Cobra and threw a Saleen body kit on it.
I actually have a 1997 cobra in my garage that is in the process of being restored for my kid. hence the spare cobra motor...

Saleen498

Established Member
Do it. I have a 4v going into my saleen right now. Followed by a voodoo eventually. It's your car, F what the purists say. I'm not sure about the older cars but the COP cars are just a polarity swap on the coils

JB85

Established Member
awesome! I was reading on a few other forums that the GT ecu should work, and that really the only mod is extending some wires. Im going to get started on this asap.

personally, i think the sound of the 4.6 4v is one of the greatest sounding v8's ever made. I am not a fan of the new coyote sound at all. I know you can get gobs and gobs of power out of a coyote, but I am more in this for the sound and minor power increase. i think 300hp is more than enough and will get me everything I need. Ill start making a process thread with pics and everything that needed to be done for the swap. Hopefully others can use that thread then in the future

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
awesome! I was reading on a few other forums that the GT ecu should work, and that really the only mod is extending some wires. Im going to get started on this asap.

personally, i think the sound of the 4.6 4v is one of the greatest sounding v8's ever made. I am not a fan of the new coyote sound at all. I know you can get gobs and gobs of power out of a coyote, but I am more in this for the sound and minor power increase. i think 300hp is more than enough and will get me everything I need. Ill start making a process thread with pics and everything that needed to be done for the swap. Hopefully others can use that thread then in the future
I bought my 98 because cobra.. and sound. It's certainly one of the smoothest sounding V8's, 4V have a distinct sound to them especially with flowmaster 40's(what I heard growing up & why I have the 40's w/ X-pipe..)

But should you decide you want to race all of these 5.br0's & 6.4L Challengers that are a dime-a-dozen.. well.. they'll put 3 lengths on us before we even get out of second gear

Honestly it's annoying not being able to drive 4 minutes down a road without a Challenger trying to race, everyone and their grandmother has one it seems

Last edited:

freebird50

Established Member
So I was browsing craigslist on Thursday last week and I just so happened to come across the exact color combo saleen that I have been on a hunt for the last 10 years, and the Saleen just so happened to be a 5 hour drive away from me. It has 22,000 original miles, is in mint condition, and was listed for $17,500. I ran downstairs and was trying to get my wifes attention as she was on a work call with no end in sight. So i decided to take my fate into my own hands, leave the house, text her and say, ill be home by midnight. About an hour into my drive she calls me asking WTF is going on, and I told her that I was on my way to buy the Saleen. she didnt believe I was actually going to buy it until she saw me withdraw the cash out of our account haha. So 5 hours later, I arrived at the car, took one look and knew I had to have it and yes, I was home by midnight with it behind my truck on the trailer.

so now for the one question I am having an interesting time trying to find a right answer for. the current 1996 non PI motor is a slug! 220hp just wont cut it. I have a spare 1997 4.6 4V cobra motor in my garage and I want to swap it into the Saleen. I know this will make a few Saleen purist mad as all hell, but I will keep every original part and the engine so I can change it back one day if needed. I just want more power, and I want the sound of the 4v. But my question is, is how hard is the swap. It seems like from what I can find, its insanely easy. everything except the radiator, radiator hose, and coil pack plugs match up. I just need to extend the coil pack wires. But can anyone confirm if I need to have my cobra ECU in the car? seems like some forums are saying I can use the GT brains no problem.

If someone can confirm it is truly that easy to swap, then I will start on it asap.

Also, I found this website on my car. Looks like the original owner tried to sell it at one point, but it didnt sell.

So you paid 17 5 for a mid 90s 2 valve with a body kit.....jeeze why? If I was your wife I'd slap you.

freebird50

Established Member
I bought my 98 because cobra.. and sound. It's certainly one of the smoothest sounding V8's, 4V have a distinct sound to them especially with flowmaster 40's(what I heard growing up & why I have the 40's w/ X-pipe..)

But should you decide you want to race all of these 5.br0's & 6.4L Challengers that are a dime-a-dozen.. well.. they'll put 3 lengths on us before we even get out of second gear

Honestly it's annoying not being able to drive 4 minutes down a road without a Challenger trying to race, everyone and their grandmother has one it seems
Boost will solve your problem you'll smoke new mustangs and challengers with ease. With the 4 valve that is.

beau t

Established Member
96-0405 S281
grabbed a pic from the old add clean car - - congrats.

JB85

Established Member
So you paid 17 5 for a mid 90s 2 valve with a body kit.....jeeze why? If I was your wife I'd slap you.
lol to you it might just be a body kit, but to me it's a true saleen, something that I have always wanted. I know i could essentially buy a POS v6 and buy a saleen body kit, but at the end of the day it's not a real saleen.

decipha

Established Member
Thats a hell of a deal on that car. Thats a brand new showroom condition car. Your not gonna find another anywhere near that condition for that price.

Yep you can keep the GT ecu but the IMRC will not function since that ecu doesnt have that hardware so you'll need to either vacuum controller or better yet just snatch a 98 automatic gt ecu and toss that in there instead. ECU is $30 at pull a part.

JB85

Established Member
Thats a hell of a deal on that car. Thats a brand new showroom condition car. Your not gonna find another anywhere near that condition for that price.

Yep you can keep the GT ecu but the IMRC will not function since that ecu doesnt have that hardware so you'll need to either vacuum controller or better yet just snatch a 98 automatic gt ecu and toss that in there instead. ECU is $30 at pull a part.
Since I am rebuilding the 4v motor, I went ahead and bought the MMR IMRC deletes. So can I still run the 96 ecu?

freebird50

Established Member
lol to you it might just be a body kit, but to me it's a true saleen, something that I have always wanted. I know i could essentially buy a POS v6 and buy a saleen body kit, but at the end of the day it's not a real saleen

Since I am rebuilding the 4v motor, I went ahead and bought the MMR IMRC deletes. So can I still run the 96 ecu?
Id run the 98 ecu it's obd 2 and easier to tune. Sure you could find one on eBay or something.

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
Boost will solve your problem you'll smoke new mustangs and challengers with ease. With the 4 valve that is.
Yeah I'm foreseeing one of those 2.1L Kenne kits & 4.10's in my future(like $3200?) Should be good for at least 425rwhp with supporting fuel..

Since that comment I've casually raced a few of those 5.7/6.1L Mopars and because of their weight I've found you can actually keep up(mostly), maybe even win if you get the jump.. I stopped at a Love's traveling back from a Texas trip & they let me use their scale; 3,283lbs with 3/4 tank of gas & car loaded with luggage/spare tire etc. These things are paperweights compared to modern sedans..

As for OP! I'm on the fence about this buy, $17K for a 2v is insane but 22,000 miles.. what's crazy is I know a guy that bought a 97 Cobra for $6K just 4 years ago.. this economy is nuts.. everyone thinks their car is a 1970 Chevelle apparently

Users who are viewing this thread