4.6 > 5.0 stroker Kit

Ohms

Established Member
Hey guys, Im working on a slow build up of my 4x4 4.6 F150 as a prerunner/sand truck. Im starting with my motor and transmission right now, Looking to build the motor early this summer and just drive the Mach during that time. But what I really need is to figure out a good combo for a safe 600hp motor, I was looking at the mod max stroker kits due to their price but wanted to get your guys input. Im guessing basicly all 2V mustang motor parts will work with the F150 motor.

Im looking for good crank, pistons, and rods and also all bearings, rings, and some ARP goodies to keep it together. I plan to bore the block .20 over and am looking for mild compression in the 9-10.5 range.

Also trying to find out if a 4R100(lightning trans) will drop into my 4x4 4.6 truck if anyone has the answer to that aswell.

any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

figment521

Established Member
Why not just rebuild and supercharge you 4.6?

The 4R100(lightning trans) is a 2WD trany. It will bolt up to your engine , but the transfer case will not bolt up to the trany. For a trany to hold up to what you are doing call TCI or B@M. I am put sure that they can build you a trany that will take the power and abuse that comes from 600+ hp in a 4X4.

Ohms

Established Member
Thats the plan, to rebuild the stock motor. I just obviously need to build it up and figured I might aswell bump it up to a 5.0 while im in there. Im going to need to add some sort of boost to get the power I want for sure, but for now Im just gonna do the driveline to handle the power.

Everyone is telling me to just go 2wd, due to the additional suspension travel, and cheaper cost to build but I think the 4x4 would be a little more out of the ordinary, and I wont have to really worry about getting stuck out in the dunes.

Ohms

Established Member
Most prerunner are 2wd yes, but mine wont be. The kit im getting provides 15/16" of travel up front, and around 20out back with 4x4. while most 2wd kits provides about 18" up front. Id rather have 4wd and not worry about getting stuck, then have 2 more inches of travel.

I dont wont to go with a 5.4 due to the added cost of the block, wiring harness, new intake, front accessories and covers etc. and definitly not 4valve which is even more expensive initially and for mods.

Plus stroked to 5.0 there wont be much more added power to run a 5.4. not worth the added cost IMO.

My friends telling me to just go with a 392 carb'd windsor with a C6 and get rid of all the electronics, but im not sure how feasable that is, or what the cost might be.

figment521

Established Member
why not just drop in a used 5.4L? Im sure you could find a 5.4L 2V cheap, and rebuild that.

5.4L 4V from a navigator?

Price for a 5.4 2V from a 02 Expedition in my area is $650 to $950 depending on the miles. Rated at 260 hp and 300 lb of torque.

Price for a 5.4 4V from a 02 Navigator in my area is $1800 to $2400 depending on the miles. Rated at 300 hp and 355 lb of torque.

For the price of a 5.4 4V he will have payed his stroker kit and have a better engine.

Ohms you are right in that MOST prerunner are 2WD but not all. 4WD prerunner have more weight over the front wheels and you just have to remember that as you drive it on the sand for it will behave different than a 2WD will.

My vote for your engine is to use a forged 4.6 kit (forged crank, forged rods, forged pistons about 9 to 1). Then add a Kenny Bell or Whipple charged for low end power, or if you like a higher power band and a set of small cams and a pro charger. Keep the boost low 6 to 8 psi and you should have a well rounded fun to drive engine.

Ohms

Established Member
The only reason Id like to go with a higher compression is due to the fact that Its not going to see boost for a good year or so, closer to 2 years from now. And I still want to have something quick. will a 10:1 compression really hurt me that much when adding boost, plenty of guys run the mach motors with a power-adder for 450hp without a problem with the higher comp ratio.

Also, are you against the stroker kit. and if so, why? Im also more toward a procharger for the higher rpm power since Ill be running 4.88 gears and wont really need the instant torque unless I start running paddles out back. and Id imagine the truck will be in mid-high rpms while out playing.

figment521

Established Member
I and not against a stroker kit. It is just that the 4.6 has a good rod ratio with the stock stroke.

A 5.1 L stoker kit is about $1600 and most still use a case crank

A 4.6 L forged kit is about $1300.

I personally would rather have the add strength of a forged crank over the add displacement the stroker. Then spend the difference on other parts (aluminum radiator maybe). Beside as a general rule the short the stroke the hard you can turn the engine.

As for the compression ratio I would recommend staying at 9.5 : 1 or lower. The reason is that the higher the compression ratio is; the more heat the engine see. And the higher the boost is; the heat the engine see. So high compression + high boost + high air temp; all on pump gas can lead to spark knock on a bad day. Detonation will kill an engine.

So for a engine in a truck that will see time playing off road I recommend an engine that is going to be very strong and very reliable. Mainly because calling for a tow truck can be costly, but the rates an off road wrecker charges is flat out robbery most of the time.

What size tires are you looking to run? 4.88 are a good for tires 38" to 42" tall . I run 4.88 on my truck with 35" but I need to go to 38"

Ohms

Established Member
The mod max kit I looked at had the forged crank, thats all I've really looked at seriously though, most of the others are full short blocks, or too expensive. Im going to get dual 14" electric fans for the radiator aswell, didnt really plan on changing up the radiator unless I end up have problems with that down the road its a newer stock one, I believe it has about 15k on it from the previous owner. And the compression issue makes sense, this truck is gonna see alot of abuse and alot of heat in the desert and dunes of cali and arizona.

As for tires, they will mostliky be 37x13.50 Procomps, my buddy runs 4.56's in his 2wd prerunner on 35's and from what he said 4.88's would be perfect with 37's and 4wd.

Ohms

Established Member
Dixon front with Porsche high angle Cv's, Fox 2.5 coil over's and 2.0 Bumps, Deavers in rear with Fox 2.5's and 2.0 bumps.

figment521

Established Member
Sound like you got the start of a good plan. Good luck with you truck and have fun with it. O and please send a pic or two as thing start to come together for you.

Users who are viewing this thread