4.6-5.4 swap

chadniver85

Hi im looking at.doing a 4.6-5.4 swap id like to know things to watch out for. Im pretty good with engines and pretty set on this change just to be unique where I come from dont really care about performance

VA-Mach1

Established Member
From what I read you have to buy a expensive and hard to find intake adapter to use the 4.6 intake and a aftermarket hood because the intake will set up higher. I wanted to do a 5.4L 32V swap but decided not to because of the adapter cost. There may be other ways though.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
What type of 5.4? 2V? 3V? 4V?

Here is some of my presvious 5.4 posts jumbled together:

Go with a 5.4 4v swap, since no year F150 came with a 4V, a 99-04 lincoln navigator has the 5.4 4V engines, that you can pick up for $1200-1500 easily. Most of those motors have just been babied around for family car use, with little abuse. The swap is fairly simple as it should bolt straight in with your stock motor mounts. The 5.4 is slightly wider than a 4.6, not much, yet it sits an inch higher, so cutting the inside of your hood will most likely be an option. As for wiring harness, any GT, Mach 1, or Cobra harness 99-04 would work. The problem that you will most likely face is finding a less restrictive intake. The stock intake is garbage and flows like water through plastic, you choices are either a Sullivan Performance intake which is a nice amount of money, or find an Aussie Boss 260/290 intake from an export Ford Falcon out of Austrailia. The Aussie intake can be had for $600'ish and is the better choice and will give you a nice amount of low end back, and help peak power. A nice set of cams will work wonders in larger mod motors. Ive seen cammed, intake 5.4 4v motors make stupid power. Hope this helps

2V Terror

Established Member
Professional Products makes intake adapter plates that you can buy for like $200. Or you can get the HPS Hardball'r intake manifold for like $800. If you do get the plates, then keep in mind that you'll have to fab up some 1 inch spacers for the alternator bracket.

You'll have to stick with either stock exhaust manifolds or get yourself some Ford Racing ST headers as normal headers including BBK ST headers will not fit.

You won't need a new hood. All you'll need to do is cut out portions of your stock hood. That should work.

You'll have to modify the EGR tube or delete it. I simply cut mine and ran some high heat hose to connect the ends. That held up well.

You'll have to fab up a X/H pipe for the exhaust. Bassani used to make a X Pipe for the 2000 Cobra R that fit perfectly on a 5.4 conversion for SN-95s but they no longer make them. I don't know if any other company makes them.

A tubular K member, while not necessary, will cut down on weight and give you more clearance with that big ole engine.

You'll more than likely need a tune.

And as a suggestion, I would say that if you're gonna go to the trouble of doing a 5.4, then you might as well do a built bottom end and a performance one (ported heads, custom cams) and call it a day. A standard 5.4 2V is not worth the time or effort or extra weight.
Mind you this is all for a 2V 5.4 conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread