4 Lbs Lower Problems Please Help

9900blueoval

Established Member
just had a 4 lbs lower(metco) installed(4 weeks ago) by a very popular tuner that does not answer phones ,and does not do weekends and i have lost three belts!! i used a gates laser tool to align pullies ,and everything seemed fine, now i just took car for a ride a 20 mile romp ,and i notice that the belt is walking towards the engine meaning that the crank pulley is towards the the radiator.I would go back to the tuner but the four ride and another day off work is not to good!!so i ask?? has anybody come across this issue ,and if so how was it resolved??what can i do ?? should i go back to the the stock crank pulley :??: PLEASE HELP Dan

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Others have had this problem when the lower idler, the one next to the crank pulley, is in the lowest position. Try moving it up, away from the crankshaft pulley, into a higher hole. The reasoning is that the belt must make too tight a turn so soon after exiting the crank pulley and this is causing belt issues.
I don't know if that is your problem, but it is a place to start.

Dana

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Dana said:
Others have had this problem when the lower idler, the one next to the crank pulley, is in the lowest position. Try moving it up, away from the crankshaft pulley, into a higher hole. The reasoning is that the belt must make too tight a turn so soon after exiting the crank pulley and this is causing belt issues.
I don't know if that is your problem, but it is a place to start.

Dana

He's right...I had to do the same thing! It fixed all my problems hopefuly its yours... :beer:

9900blueoval

Established Member
is there extra holes drilled??or do i do that myself?i kinda see what your saying but i dont understand how that would make that walk like that ,but ill try it thanx Dan

Quick Strike

Established Member
I had the same issue with mine, and moved the idler to the second hole (of three). I also shimmed the the idler out with a washer. I had no more problems.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
Hey QuickStrike, what numbers are you seeing and how does the car hookup? Those are similar mods to what ill be getting soon.

Quick Strike

Established Member
20-COBRA-03 said:
Hey QuickStrike, what numbers are you seeing and how does the car hookup? Those are similar mods to what ill be getting soon.

I have not been on the dyno since Herman tuned it up, but I did get a few runs at test and tune two weeks ago. I spun and granny shifted to a 12.2 at 114 when the car was very hot, but had an earlier 13.2 at 117. I was on 285 F1 GS D3s, and the best 60" was a high 1.9. It spun instead of hopping for the most part, so the suspension mods must have done some good. Last year it bunny hopped all the way down the track. I think with better shifting and traction it could be in the low to mid 11s and in the low to mid 120s. Someone needs to lend me a good set of tires next time!

9900blueoval

Established Member
well i finally got it right thanx to all that helped!!!!(DANA/MASONIAC,AND THE BIGGEST METCO) and to the ones that didnt (TUNER)F-OFF !!!! well i had to learn the hard way ,but in the long run all i had to do was move the ALT. out 120,000ths.!!in other words put two thin washers behind it because my belt was walking towards the engine!!! this was confusing considering that all i kept reading about was that everybodies belt was walking towards the radiator ,but now it lines up true even at 6,500!!!.This was the hardest thing that i ever to do on the cobra ,and ill tell u its not that hard just time consuming ,and a little nerve racking but now its outta the way ,and i finally got to rip on it w/ the 4LBS /new tune ,and really no worries boy did it feel good!!! :coolman:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Happy to hear you resolved the problem!!
I have a question though.
In the first post, you mentioned that you used a laser alignment tool to check the pulleys. How does this work and why didn't it pick up the misalignment of the alternator pulley? .120 is quite a bit...

Thanks,
Dana

9900blueoval

Established Member
well to tell u the truth i used the tool on the blower pulley towards the crank ,and then towards the tensioner never putting the alt. in the mix because of the location with the idlers in the wayand yes i now know i shoulda removed them ,but this just goes to show u check,and do everything dont take short cuts!!!On the other thing .120 isnt really alot its the size of a penny/dime maybe even smaller so to pick that up it wasnt really that easy Thanx Dan

Users who are viewing this thread