#4 with canned tune new MAF needed?

MarvelMan

Established Member
I plan on ordering a 4# lower with a diablosport in the next week or two. I will be using the canned tune for now until a get a few more things done then I will get a dyno tune probably in the fall. My only other power mods are a CAI and C&L powerpipe. The only other mods I am planning are a SBTB and maybe an upper intake plenum. Will this set of mods put me anywhere near the range that I would need a new MAF sensor or an extender? If there is any risk at all I'll probably go with the SCT big air. Anybody have any experience with them? A guy I ran into with a 670RWHP turbo Maurader was using one and he said it worked well for him.

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Im going to say that you should be fine with the 90mm for those mods. If you even came close to having issues, it would be on cold days probably. That said, it never hurts to have some insurance.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
I doubt it....you can log MAF V with the Predator (if that is what you are using) if you get over 4.75v now look forward to getting a MAF extender as you will come close to or peg in the colder months.

MarvelMan

Established Member
Thank you all. I didn't realize the predator could check the MAF voltage. I'll just keep an eye on it. I gets really cold here in Chicago in the winter, but since the truck get no traction I never get into the throttle in the cold anyway.

Dusten

Established Member
The Swede said:
You'll be fine with the 90MM
you can't say that
In 60 degree weather with a 4lb lower i was hitting 4.78v on mine. So i got a mafia and a tune from ats.
Like said, install the 4lb and plugs, put the tune on and data log the bitch. If its close, have rick or someone else fix it.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'd bet you can't max out a 90mm maf with a 4#. 4.78v is getting close but there's still PLENTY to go at that point. Erring on the side of safety and getting a Mafia is NEVER a bad idea however and it will also give you the room you'll need when you go to a 6# and or a port. :thumbsup:

MarvelMan

Established Member
So do you guys suggest going with the Mafia extender over a whole new MAF (IE the SCT big air). Also if I go with the big air, what model is best. Isn't there like a 2400,2600,and 2800 size?

Also when buying a "built" shortblock isn't the only upgrade really the rods,pistons and maybe the stud bolts? My brother is a professional mechanic and he does all my work basically for free. If he'll do the labor for a few hundred bucks, can I just buy new Manley forged rods, some new pistons, and ARP studs and new gaskets and bearings and have a solid block on the cheap or am I forgetting some integral part. The only downside is he would have to do it in his spare time so my truck would be down for a little while.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I'd bet you can't max out a 90mm maf with a 4#. 4.78v is getting close but there's still PLENTY to go at that point. Erring on the side of safety and getting a Mafia is NEVER a bad idea however and it will also give you the room you'll need when you go to a 6# and or a port. :thumbsup:

buddy of mine hit 4.9xv with a 4lber in cool weather... kinda tough to say when they will peg on these trucks. best bet is to data long it

Dusten

Established Member
MarvelMan said:
So do you guys suggest going with the Mafia extender over a whole new MAF (IE the SCT big air). Also if I go with the big air, what model is best. Isn't there like a 2400,2600,and 2800 size?
Talk with your tuner about this. Mine(ATS) wanted me to run to the MAFia because it keeps like parts together(predator tuner and MAfia are both diablo products).
It really depends on what your tuner wants you to do.

Dusten

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I agree, but mind this fact bob, it was 60 degree's out, not 30-40 that i seen in the late fall early winter

MarvelMan

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the advice. I ordered the 4# with the diablosport today. Haven't been able to find the Mafia extender anywhere yet though. Anyone know where to order one of those bad boys from?

MarvelMan

Established Member
I will!! I am holding off installing my parts for about 2 weeks as I just got a letter for emissions in the mail today, but you should hear from me sometime in the next month. I'll mention SVTP when I call. Oh and what is your number??

Users who are viewing this thread