$400 later and I finally love my truck, unconditionally

Bootbox

Established Member
Hands down the best mod I've done to the truck so far. I always hated the stock seat. As great as it looked, it was way too bouncy, had no support in hard corners, and I don't know why, but it made my legs hurt after about a half hour in it.

Sparco Torino

sparco2zi.jpg

sparcoside20us.jpg

I picked it up used on ebay from a guy parting out his Honda Civic. I gave right around half price what it would be new. It came 3 days later, looking brand new. Rather than wait 6 weeks for the F-150 specific bracket from Sparco, I decided to see if I could get the seat to mount to the stock motorized platform. This way I can use the seat now and have power adjustments.

It was really easy to be honest. I just took the stock seat out, removed it from the motorized base, measured the distance between the Sparco's mounting points, and drilled 3 holes in the top rails of the stock motorized platform. I re-used one of the pre-existing holes that used to be for the stock seat (the one in the rear inside corner.)

I can't stress enough how much the new seat has changed my driving experience. First and foremost, it holds relentlessly. There's no more trying to stay upright during aggressive cornering. The stock seat was atrocious in this department. If you do any type of autocross or open tracking, you absolutely need an upgrade. This seat does all the work, I can relax and concentrate on steering. The thigh supports keep my legs very close together and in place as well.

This would be a good time to mention to anyone considering a sport seat that at 6'1", 200lbs, and with a 36 inch waist, I just barely fit in the Torino. If you're much bigger you will not fit in this seat. There is no give to any of the supports, they're steel framed with just a bit of padding and cloth stretched over them.

Also a godsend, the ability to be lower (the seat is all the way up in the above pics.) Even with the stock SVT seat all the way down, it was just a bit too high for my liking. I now sit about 4-5 inches lower when it's all the way down, and with my legs stretched way out. It's much better IMHO. I've got a more sports car-like feeling while driving. When the steering wheel is tilted all the way down it's perfectly in line with my arms and body (I can still see out the window over the wheel just fine.) PERFECT.

I'm going to work on getting the black plastic piece off the stock seat that holds the power seat switch and covers up the brackets when you look in. Right now the switch is just laying next to the seat and the bracketry is all visible. No big deal, but it'd be nice if I can get that part to work too.

bready

Established Member
sweet seat!

i hope its not too much to ask, can you take pics of the controls? thanks!!

Bootbox

Established Member
No problem I already took one, just didn't put it up because it looks kinda crappy the way it sits now without the cover piece in place. (seat is all the way up, all the way back, you can see less of the metal bracket etc.. when it's slammed down where I drive it.)

Here it is, since you're curious. :beer:

sparcoside34qp.jpg

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
what you do with the stock seat? i need a new butt pad and cover
your new one looks damn cool, to bad i wont fit at all

Bootbox

Established Member
lightninmike said:
what you do with the stock seat? i need a new butt pad and cover
your new one looks damn cool, to bad i wont fit at all

It's sitting in my dining room. I assume you need the pad and cover because your bar was staring to come through the foam? Mine did it too, I'm afraid my stock seat is all but useless, I'm thinking about putting it in my apt. on a 12 inch or so riser for my gran turismo steering wheel setup.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
That looks good. I liked my stock seat though. And even got complimented by the way they held a friend of mine in place....he said it was alot better than his Harley F150's seats. We went for a ride and he wasn't kidding. But then again, I'm 5'7" 135lbs.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I don't have a Lightning but I have driven one and I loved the stock seats! but I drive a regular F-150 so the difference was worlds apart. That new seat though looks damn nice man! I haven't had the chance to sit in something like that but it looks like it would a hell of a nice ride.

Bootbox

Established Member
Nope, I'm a front pocket wallet guy, always have been.

The stock seat just cut into my legs in a weird spot behind my knee and caused a lot of pressure point pain. I just always felt like it was overstuffed, too big, and too bouncy. The difference is night and day.

203Cree

Established Member
That's cool. Just askin cuz I know that caused problems for me for a little while.

Not to Hijack the thread, but hows the drop treating you? You never did update your other thread with reviews. I'm still interested to hear exactly what your likes/dislikes are after havin it for awhile.

Later
Rob

Bootbox

Established Member
203Cree said:
...hows the drop treating you? You never did update your other thread with reviews.

I didn't update it because I'm still waiting on my rear sway bar from Hellwig. If you can ****ing believe that. :fm: As great as it handles the way it is now, and as much as I'm not looking forward to the sway bar install, I'm going to put it on anyway. The rear end feels sort of ricketty when I go over rough patches of road (probably doesn't help that I took off the hitch, spare, and spare winch, heh.) Hopefully the bar will tighten it up some.

For some review I can give now, the Ruslow 1000lb coils are too stiff for anything but QA1s to be honest. Maybe too stiff for comfortable daily driving. I'm considering cutting a coil off my stock SVT springs and giving it a go like that, not sure they'd be stiff enough to give the handling I like or keep the tires from rubbing in the wheel weels though (I currently measure 15" from fender well the wheel center and don't rub tire.) The Hotchkis Bilsteins are a bit better than the stock Bilsteins, but just not valved stiff enough when they're trying to keep up with a 1000lb coil. While I do get a bit of pogo, not as much now that my seat is so stiff. I did a double take when I took it out for a spin tonight. Most of the bouncing around I was doing was apparently from the stock seat's cushioning and springy nature reacting to the jolts the truck was giving. With the stiff seat I just jolt a little, no bounce. The passenger is bobbing up and down all over though, I may get a matching seat for over there sooner than I had planned.

I absolutely love the handling, slot car style. Just when I think I'm going to push or oversteer, something that feels like magic kicks in and the truck just, goes. All with no rear sway bar also. It's amazingly neutral.

As far as everyday stuff goes, the Moroso trans pan I recently added has made it so that I don't have to avoid speedbumps any longer. I don't scrape the bumper entering driveways, but I do have to take steep descents at a slight sideways angle. If I go straight down, when the road levels out at the bottom it'll scrape the front bumper. That's the only time it will scrape though, and it's only happened once a while back.

Finally, it's not a soft, comfortable ride. There's no disguising that. It's low, stiff, and it jolts you over anything that's not glass smooth. That's how it has to be though to not bottom out and to handle as well as it does, and I don't mind it one bit. The payoff in handling and looks is giant, and well worth it to me. I think it's not the right setup for %99 of Lightning owners, but coming from the automotive background that I do (low, stiff sporty cars) it suits me just fine and I wouldn't have it any other way. If someone wants to be real low and you don't mind the jolting and never, ever have to leave the road surface or tow/haul more than 300lbs or so, it's perfectly livable the way I have it setup.

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
Nvr_Spds said:
Those look badass. You can clearly see how much lower they are than the stock seat.

That's all the way up too, I'll put a pic up tomorrow with it all the way down.

:rolling:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I have been wondering if you could bolt an aftermarket seat to the stock rails. Glad you did as I too will be replacing the stockers at some point for a sport seat of some kind. Good write up and info.

Bootbox

Established Member
TXSVTLIGHTNING said:
so that must of been the huge box on your door step friday :thumbsup:

Man, I could barely wait to get home Friday. :pepper:

Bootbox

Established Member
I definitely need another seat soon, but I don't know if I'll get the expy console.

I want to use a Lincoln Blackwood console (hopefully I can find one that is bare, no nav system in it) because it's already got a cutout for a screen. I've got a 7" VGA touchscreen and a carputer setup I've been looking for a good place to mount and I think that console would be perfect.

The console itself could easily contain the motherboard (it's the size of a CD case) and the rest of the computer guts, and the screen location would be in the perfect spot for touch operation.

Better start selling off some toys I guess. :D

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
when you get that all that stuff in, you are really going to have to post some pics...that sounds like it is going to be one awesome custom job!!!

Users who are viewing this thread