428 Cobra Jet

SGT MERC

Established Member
I've come across a 428 Cobra Jet motor I can pic up for a good price. It's supposed to be "ready to run". I want to do a compression check but I'm not able to at this time. What's the most you think I should pay for this?
09C11506-.jpeg
IMG_3286..jpeg
09C11506-.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Established Member
Check the heads, note says they don't match. Lots of different variations of FE heads. What rockers set up? you need to cycle thru for stroke to make sure it's not a 390, or even a crap 352. Do you have anything it can go in, or are you looking at a flip or garage for later?

SGT MERC

Established Member
I don't have anything to put it in yet. It'll be garaged for later
That's what confuses me. It says heads don't match numbers.
He wants more than what "lookngo" suggested I should pay earlier.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Check the heads, note says they don't match. Lots of different variations of FE heads. What rockers set up? you need to cycle thru for stroke to make sure it's not a 390, or even a crap 352. Do you have anything it can go in, or are you looking at a flip or garage for later?
Exactly! Not knowing the internals puts it in the mystery category. It could be a mutt, made up of all kinds of different parts. Casting numbers will tell the story quickly. Engines like these don't come with warranties. If installed without going through it first, and something catastrophic happens your out. The FE chrome valve covers will be worth a couple hundred or more depending on the date code. Is there any receipts of machining or parts?

railroad

Established Member
Post what you find. Interesting.
Valve covers should easily set off to check casting numbers on heads. I think the last letter is N for CJ. There may have been an H also. Too long ago. All info should be easy to find.
Need to check block. Some machine shops will stamp them for over bore size.
Really like these engines.
CJ heads have diagonal exhaust manifold bolt holes and the reg FE vertical holes in the same head.

Established Member
Several FE heads have diagonal as well as up and down bolts I believe. Code should be in between the spark plugs on the head, very easy to see. Looks like maybe no rockers at all the way the one valve cover sets. Intake is nothing special. I gained 2 tenths with an old port o sonic on a 390 comet over that manifold. Date code on side of block should be easy to see as well, although that doesn't id the size. You can rotate the engine with a pencil in the bore to ID stroke.

Established Member
Doesn't look like it has a pan on it. you should be able to id the crank for 428 and at least see what pistons and rods are there. If i didn't have a use for it, I sure wouldn't drop a grand on what we know now.

Users who are viewing this thread