45 in a 20, Bethel CT please help!

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
I was hoping that either somebody who has dealt with the court system in CT, or a CT LEO could provide me advice on how to deal with a speeding ticket I received this morning. I live in NY and work in CT

14 218a- Traveling unreasonably Fast, 45 in 20.

I was in a hurry on my way to work since I was late, and really have no excuse for my action other than not noticing the posted speed limit. By the time I saw the patrol car it was too late. I have a clean record and would like to keep it that way. However, I know if I just pay the fine ($191 yikes!) I can face having my insurance go up as well.

In explaining my driving record and dilemma, I did ask the officer that if I opted to plea not guilty, the chances of lieniency, reduction of fine or dismissal, and she said "50/50". I thanked her for the information, promised to mind the posted speed of the area and was on my way.

I have always heard it is better to plea not guilty and try to prove your case than to just pay the fine and face the music. My question: What case do I have to present to the court? Is having a clean record to begin with a worthy enough presentation? Some of my coworkers said that they got their charges reduced if they made a charitible donation instead.

Any information and/or help is greatly appreciated!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Since this fine falls under strict liability, there is no intent argument. Plead not guilty and ask the court for leniency.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Did they get you on Radar or Laser?

I don't know. I would say most likely radar. I didn't ask either. I don't use a detector, maybe I should from now on.

Funny thing was that I was only about 1/2 mile from the police station too. Talk about an easy mornin' catch! :nonono:

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Since this fine falls under strict liability, there is no intent argument. Plead not guilty and ask the court for leniency.

That's what I'm planning to do. Do you think that I would need a lawyer? I know 45 mph isn't all too fast, but regardless it is still 25 over the limit. Would this fine be considered as severe as if I was doing 90 in a 65? I can only hope that the judge cuts me a break. Thanks for the advice.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Get a lawyer.

This is based on my experiences...In Ct when you go to court you speak with the Prosecutor first. He/She may agree to lessen the charge, Drop the Charge, or not lessen anything. If they lessen or pursue charges you must speak to the Judge and you pay the fine that day. If they drop the charges you walk with never seeing the Judge. Now the few times I've been to court I've got there extremely early and dressed nicely because the Prosecutor deals with tons of idiots and if you can see the prosecutor before they are annoyed you have a better chance. You see the prosecutor in the order you sign into the courthouse. Now Lawyers walk in and go to the front of the line, and for traffic violations it seems like they are all dismissed by the prosecutor with a smile and handshake with the lawyer. Now this is only what I've witnessed and I'm sure for larger tickets this may not be the case.

The reason I asked the Radar/Laser question is it will be in the police report. If they got you on radar you have a better chance of getting off yourself. If they got you on laser you're pretty much screwed. They may lessen the charges, but it won't be worth taking the morning off of work.

If you can afford the lawyer, do it. If not take your chances, but 45 in a 20 is serious and if you're on Laser you won't be able to deny it. Are you going to deny it? If so, what's your story? 20mph is an awful low speed limit. What kind of area were you in that it was so low? I'm not a lawyer by any means, but I've had some run-ins that required me to go to court.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That's what I'm planning to do. Do you think that I would need a lawyer? I know 45 mph isn't all too fast, but regardless it is still 25 over the limit. Would this fine be considered as severe as if I was doing 90 in a 65? I can only hope that the judge cuts me a break. Thanks for the advice.

45 in a 20 is more offensive, as you are exceeding the speed limit by a higher percentage (more flagrant) than someone doing 90 in a 65. If you can afford an attorney I would hire one, as long as he specializes in traffic court and is known in that jurisdiction.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Like Chris said you will face the Prosecutor before the judge. In my early driving years I had a few screw ups and that is how it always worked. Just be honest and respectful. If you go in there with a bad attitude I would expect much help from the prosecutor. Remember you already know you are guilty and just trying to get the charge changed to something else. Sometimes if you are lucky they will lower it to a non-moving violation. Good luck! -Mat-

Users who are viewing this thread