450 flywheel hp with twin screw?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
03RedCobra said:
Well, I talked with a Rep from the Tremec company at the World Ford Challenge last year and he was personally going to be a part of the next Cobra project and he stated that no matter what Cobra they made, Ford had already contracted with Tremec to use the T56 again. He said that they will have the 26-spline input shaft though. He told me that Tremec had actually recommended the 26-spline on the '03 Cobra, but Ford was the one that decided to go for the 10-spline instead.

Thanks, that is good to hear. The t56 is an awsome transmission... just needed the proper input shaft.

- Ben

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
BillyGman said:
first of all, if it's not going to be equipped with a twinscrew, then I for one probably won't buy one. Second of all, there seem to be alot of people assuming that just because it might be an eaton that this means that it won't be a twinscrew, and what they don't realize is that Eaton makes twinscrew superchargers also, and it wa Eaton that made the twinscrew supercharger for the 2005 ford GT supercar. So I wouldn't bank on that info about the GT500 not having a twinscrew as being concrete since there are a lot of people getting the eaton info mixed up.

I very much doubt that herman has his info mixed up. Either way it will be an awsome motor and I wouldn't turn it down even if it didn't come with the twinscrew. But I'm still hoping that it will.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
ygohome said:
I very much doubt that herman has his info mixed up. Either way it will be an awsome motor and I wouldn't turn it down even if it didn't come with the twinscrew. But I'm still hoping that it will.
I'll have to assume that you're correct. I didn't mean to question Herman's overall knowledge, or his expertise in any way. It's just that there seems to be alot of confusion in various car circles about Eaton, and about their products. Especially when it comes to the Lysholm twinscrew supercharger design. But I'm not trying to argue. I guess time will tell.

I will be very surprised if after Ford has promoted this car as much as it has, by stating that the package will come equipped with a twinscrew supercharger, if they change that aspect of it. But maybe it's no big deal to them as long as they can still claim the 450+ HP they've been advertising for this car. I do hope that Herman heard wrong though.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
hpbyhermann said:
It is still a roots rotor pack design, this is from a very reliable source, so the blower will have to be replaced for really big power...thought you guys should know, i can't wait to get mine, i'll have the new blower ect here waiting before the car gets here!! :burnout: hermann

Hermann – did your source tell you what they plan to use then (if not a twin screw)?

If it is still the M112, they’re obviously gonna have to spin it faster (than the ’03) to get the same boost on the 5.4L. To first order, they’d have to increase the pulley ratio by a factor of 5.4/4.6 = 1.174. So for the same lower pulley dia (as the ’03), they’d have to go to an upper pulley dia of 3.65/1.174 = 3.1”. At a red line of 6 krpm, that means the blower will be spinning at 14.5 krpm (compared to about 12.5 krpm on the stock ’03.) I know a lot of people are spinning them faster than that, but yeah, that blower would already be well on its way to being tapped out right from the get go. So if that’s the case, I agree – it will take a blower upgrade to make significantly more boost efficiently. Hopefully they’ll change their minds and go back with the twin-screw approach! Thanks Hermann. :beer:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Another thing that crossed my mind, is that they've advertised an 8.5 PSI boost level. But I don't believe that a mere 8.5 PSI of boost with an Eaton M112 Roots S/Cer will yield the claimed 450+ HP on a 5.4L engine since that would be 60 HP more than the Ford Lightnings put down in the factory stock configuration. And I'm not so surew that the better GT cylinder heads alone would produce an additional 60HP. So that's another detail that would point to an Eaton twin screw being used. But I suppose all of this is merely speculation at this stage of the game anyway. Time will tell.

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
It's fine guys!! I just know the info from a supplier that built parts for the car

ygohome said:
I am DEFINATELY GETTING ONE TOO and wish it was a twin screw but as of right now it is an eaton roots style, model number is not yet announced! :beer: hermann :thumbsup:

Fourcam330

Established Member
BillyGman said:
Another thing that crossed my mind, is that they've advertised an 8.5 PSI boost level. But I don't believe that a mere 8.5 PSI of boost with an Eaton M112 Roots S/Cer will yield the claimed 450+ HP on a 5.4L engine since that would be 60 HP more than the Ford Lightnings put down in the factory stock configuration. And I'm not so surew that the better GT cylinder heads alone would produce an additional 60HP. So that's another detail that would point to an Eaton twin screw being used. But I suppose all of this is merely speculation at this stage of the game anyway. Time will tell.

GT/R heads would be worth at least 60hp vs. 2v PIs. They flow around 309/255cfm @ .500" right out of the box, making for a David vs. Goliath comparison.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
GT/R heads would be worth at least 60hp vs. 2v PIs. They flow around 309/255cfm @ .500" right out of the box, making for a David vs. Goliath comparison.
Yes, but you're comparing 2V heads with 4V ones. The number of valves alone provides the biggest difference right there. I was comparing Ford GT supercar heads with the heads on the Lightning. And both are 4V.

Last edited:

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Yes, but you're comparing 2V heads with 4V ones. The number of valves alone provides the biggest difference right there. I was comparing Ford GT supercar heads with the heads on the Lightning. And both are 4V.

Yeah..but aren't the Lightning heads essentially the same as the Navigator heads?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
Yeah..but aren't the Lightning heads essentially the same as the Navigator heads?
Hmmmm, you got me. I thought the Navigator heads were 2V, and the Lightning are 4V. perhaps I'm mistaking about that.

tu212

Established Member
BillyGman said:
Hmmmm, you got me. I thought the Navigator heads were 2V, and the Lightning are 4V. perhaps I'm mistaking about that.

The navigator head is 4v and the lightning is 2v. And this really sucks that no twin screw I was banking on that all along why change a good thing. I guess that's how Ford is gonna "detune" the gt motor. I was hoping it was just gonna be a bigger pulley. :cuss:

Fourcam330

Established Member
BillyGman said:

Limiting factor on all DOHC 4v Ford heads (and 2v) are the valve seats/valves. All DOHC heads except GT/R use 37/30mm valves, the GT/Rs have 37/32s.
Stock Navi 4v heads flow around 245-255cfm @ .500" lift intake, and 180ish on the exhaust at the same lift. Big port Navi's (Ford switched to the 03/04 DOHC head in 04, and now 3v/VCT) are essentially just 99/01 C heads with more intake port volume. Though they are a unique casting, and are also physically larger than 4.6 DOHC heads.
Lightnings use PI 2v sohc heads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread