4lb Lower Coming Loose

Bootbox

Established Member
Hey guys, over the last few months I've noticed this slapping noise under the hood get louder and louder, turns out my Metco 4lb lower is coming loose where those three allen head bolts hold it to the crank.

I tightened all the bolts, everything was firm when I tried to wiggle the pulley ring, I fired it up and the noise was gone, but it came back as soon as I drove it and I can grab the lower pulley ring and wiggle it again.

The weird thing is I haven't touched my setup in 3 or 4 years, and this was never an issue before. I suddenly can't keep these bolts tight? I have the right length belt according to all the charts I see around, I don't know what's up.

Any chance I need thicker washers between the bolt heads and the pulley face? I'm thinking maybe the harmonic balancer threads aren't tapped all the way through or the bolts are too long, and they're bottoming out in the balancer threads before the pulley is actually tight?

I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the balancer. :bored:

Bootbox

Established Member
I went out and tightened them again in a 2 stage cross torquing pattern and it seems to have fixed it, fingers crossed.

f150freak

Professional Lackey
Established Member
If it comes loose again I would recommend you take each bolt out one at a time, put a bit of loctite on the bolt and put them back in. If the loctite won't hold the bolts tight then you have a problem with the threads.

stangkid

Established Member
if it comes loose again i would recommend you take each bolt out one at a time, put a bit of loctite on the bolt and put them back in. If the loctite won't hold the bolts tight then you have a problem with the threads.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread