4th to 5th shifting................. HELP!!

Reptar13

Established Member
I know this is all over the forums and it has been discussed MANY times!! but i would like to out my situation out here for some help and advice!

My car is a 2013 Boss 302 #1700, i've been through everything trying to shift this car the correct way.... I have Sr stainless clutch, MGW Race spec shifter, and i've removed the spring on the clutch pedal.

The MGW RACE SPEC helped with every single one of my gears EXCEPT 4TH to 5TH AT HIGH RPMS!! The transmission just got warrantied by Ford and it has less than 400 miles on it. They changed the whole entire assembly! Any advice will be appreciated! I know this a common problem, but maybe someone can direct me to some sort of extra information.

Thank you in advanced!

I only get these problems at HIGH RPMS! Normal driving is perfectly smooth.

Reptar13

Established Member
Now do you say this from experience? (Don't want to sound rude, just making sure)

And which clutch would you recommend?

evil281

Established Member
Yes I also had high rpm lock out and yeah the race spec mgw helped but the clutch is what was causing it. What clutch you should get is dependent on what you use your car for. I went with the rxt because I drag race and will be installing a vmp kit in 3-4 weeks so I needed something that can hold power.

evil281

Established Member
What are your thoughts on the McLeod Rst?

It's probably a good option for a less aggressive clutch than the rxt but McLeod says right in the description that it's not meant for drag racing. It's made with a different material. Again it depends on how much power you are putting down and what you use your car for.

Reptar13

Established Member
Wow thanks for advice. Was already looking to order, looks like the rst is the way to go. Just really hoping it fixes my issue.

evil281

Established Member
Before buying why not tell us a little bit about your power level/ goals and what you use the car for so we can maybe recommend a few different ones to look at?

Reptar13

Established Member
Car is currently stock due to the fact that i can't get it into 5th. I have 3.73s so 5th while drag racing is kinda necessary. Goals in a LONG run will be hopefully a Paxton. But for now all ill be doing is Full bolt ons (headers back,intake,tune)

SCalla1384

Established Member
If you look at 5th gear synchro assembly, you'll realize... it's small. It's the size of an overdrive gear synchro (like 6th gear) it is not ment to be shifted fast into.

A clutch will help for sure. Clutch is 95% of the fix. Other 2 things are driver and clutch line. Imo the stock shifter was fine.

Even with a proper clutch, continuing to shift into 5th at high rpm, and fast will wear the synchro out.

If you really hit 5th that much at WOT, change your rear gears to avoid it.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Also, you shouldn't have to hit 5th at the track. What's the rev limiter on a stock boss? If not, get a tune and up the limiter to 8k. Or just put a taller tire on the car.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I had a similar experience, but on a road course. The culprit was the stock clutch. Due to high heat at the track, the clutch hub had failed. First it was tough to get 4-5, once a piece of the hub broke, engagement into all gears became almost impossible.

This is just my experience, yours could be something else, like synchros, which at first I thought was my problem.

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
I was wondering why 4th to 5th felt so much slower no matter what I did. good to know, im definitely gonna take it easier on 5th. but those highway pulls though. lol

Reptar13

Established Member
Thanks for all the inputs guys, I installed the Mcleod RST yesrterday and currently in the break in period. I must say that the clutch pedal might be softer than the stock! Its amazing!! Ill keep you guys posted on how it helped.

And yes SCAlla my next move is to put 3.55 or something to help that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread