4x4 Lightning

lightningfastsvt

Established Member
A mechanic at the local performance shop was telling me about a friend of a friend of a friend who changed his Lightning to a 4x4. I think this is bs but has anyone heard of anyone doing that??? Is it possible??? How do you think a Lightning would respond to 4wheel drive?

Dragnut

Established Member
Anything is possible with enuf $$ It would be a matter of finding a wrecked 4x4 150 and transferring parts. The result would be like putting a v6 in a Cobra!!! Why? It defeats the intended purpose of the vehicle. Same reason they don't make an x cab version although some people want one.

Chainsaw13

Established Member
I think the transfer case would be drain on the power, not to mention it'd have to be beefed up to take the hp/torque. I'm sure it could be done, but not with stock parts. If you've got the money, anything's possible.

Bob

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
I would love to have a allwheel drive lightning. Don't care if I loose any power, think of the handling improvement it would give.

Remember the old Typhoon/Syclone, all wheel drive, gobs off power

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
Yeah" gobs of power" and a tow rating of 500 pounds? Come on man,that's the beauty of these trucks....they're actually trucks!
Typhoon and Syclone were great for their time but in no way close to what an SVT truck is.Yeah They might of been a tenth or 2 faster than these trucks,but in no way could they be a Truck.
nough said.

captainoblivious

Established Member
True, but not all of us care about towing. As long as I can haul a jet ski, and throw my crap in the bed I'm a happy camper.

Plus they were an all wheel drive truck that pulled faster 1/4 times then us, stock vs stock. And everyone is saying how 4x4 would slow us down. Thats not something I would call 'great for their time'.

But like I said if you need to tow that much, then L's all the way baby. But towing is not my thing. A truck that will dust anything off the line, and holds own on winding roads is what I like.

Gregg's Lightning

Established Member
I've researched this a little. You can make it AWD with a Navigator front clip and a special built tranny (I would do it, if you really want one). Not sure what it would do as far as having to lift it, etc... but the drivetrain components are buildable with strictly off the shelf parts, the only custom component you'd need would be the transmission.

G

DB1

Established Member
Wow. That would be cool to see what kind of performance would come out of that "alteration", assuming someone had the money and wherewithall to change their truck to AWD...

lightningfastsvt

Established Member
I would do it if I had solid evidence that it would help with speed. I really don't give a crap about towing. This is a race truck. Its not every day that you see someone towing a boat behind a Viper or a Vette. As captainoblivious said, as long as I can throw crap in the back and tow a jet ski, Ill be happy. This beast is far too beautiful to be towing stuff behind. I will see if any one on f150online has a regular 5.4 4x4 and thrown a s/c on it with Lightning mods. That will give us some evedince that we can stand on.

captainoblivious

Established Member
lightningfastsvt - all wheel drive will give better handling and launching. Though you probably loose a little power and time in 1/4 mile because of the AWD, will rob a little power.

lightningfastsvt

Established Member
I know that it will slow down the 1/4 times but look at all the possibilities that it could open up. You could throw a high gearing and take all the weight off (tow package, spare tire, bedliner, tailgate, rear bumper etc...) and still get a good hook up. I would assume that would probably compensate for the power loss.

Bubbabridges

Well guys I went thru that predicament when I looked at the Lightning and there was not enough room for the family and I love to have a 4x4 so I modified my supercrew for the best of all worlds and the best part is when I pick on the Chevy guys and they hammer it but my truck never leaves there sight go figure a four door 4x4 with 33’ mud terrains.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by captainoblivious
lightningfastsvt - all wheel drive will give better handling and launching. Though you probably loose a little power and time in 1/4 mile because of the AWD, will rob a little power.

An AWD Boost launch will more than make up for any power that is sucked up by the AWD system. Imagine launching your Lightning at about 5-10psi (depending on torque converter),immediately slamming the GO pedal thru the firewall and having the rear tires break loose for about 10 feet, then in an instant, as the transfer case does its job, ALL tires DIG IN and slam your lunch into the back of your stomach! I've been feeling this 'jolt' for about 10 years now!:D And it NEVER disappoints!

A Gen2 L with AWD would be a lo lo 13 second truck for sure - stock!

Tow rating? I haven't towed a damn thing with my L yet.
Payload? 800 measly pounds! Enough to get my new Syclone motor home. It only weighed about 400lbs. Hell, my Syclone can haul 500lbs.
AWD Syclone? G-Tech- Zero to Sixty in 3.64 seconds(advertised stock was 4.6) - on the original tires!

Wish Ford would at least make AWD an option for a couple grand then those who had no intentions to use it as 'A Truck' could sacrifice towing/payload for raw acceleration. I'd buy one!

KINGCOBRA150

Established Member
I agree with most of you guys on the extra launching. Your local 4x4 shop should be able to make the changes. They look at you kind of weird rolling up in a Lightning. With modern 4x4 systems you can set it in 4x4 hi range for the extra launching power then shift it to 2wd high after 1st gear, this way you get an extreme amount of lauching power and then gain back some of the lost power after 1st gear. Suspension shouldn't be a problem because of the independant front suspension, you can lower a 4x4 to about where a lightning is stock. Imagine a lightning sitting on slicks at all 4 corners, streaming past the guy in the next lane, smoking all four meats as the tranny shifts to 2nd gear.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread