4x4 tranny pan question

BuckeyeLightnin

Established Member
i plan on swapping out my tranny pan for the 4x4. when i take the stock one off, is anything gonna fall out? is the VB secured or is that gonna come out?..ill also changed the fluid....will i need to have a complete flush done or can i just refill what was in the pan? if so, how much fluid if i complete flush and how much fluid for just changing the pan and filter? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dark_5.0

Established Member
Nothing will fall out. The VB is bolted in. You only need to replace the fluid you lose if the lost fluid looks ok. I went with the LFP pan cause it holds 3.5 extra quarts.

Dusten

Established Member
complete flush, which is tough to do at home is like 18 quarts. Pan and filter will be about 7.5. Put in 6, drive it, check fluid, fill, check, fill check. Mine took 7.25

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
You should be fine with any mercon/dextron III or the new mercon V from ford. I think that has been re-formulated to be compatible..Or you can flush it out and go all synthetic with any name brand Mobil1/RP/Amsoil of your choice.

Dusten

Established Member
the mercon v from ford is backwards compatible with mercon iii. Mercon V from anywhere else is not. So, either use mercon III from anywhere, or get mercon V from ford(this is what I do)

chrisheltra

Established Member
I will always recommend against getting a 4x4 pan for this reason (click link). Everyone Ive told not to get it I have had the opportunity to later say "I told you so".

[ame=http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69974]4x4 trans pan - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com[/ame]

BuckeyeLightnin

Established Member
well from reading that post those guys were lowered. my truck isnt lowered so i think i should be good...if somthing happens though, ill let you have the "i told you so" lol

chrisheltra

Established Member
well from reading that post those guys were lowered. my truck isnt lowered so i think i should be good...if somthing happens though, ill let you have the "i told you so" lol

Do you realize how much lower Lightnings are than 4 wheel drive trucks?

What ever you decide I wish you good luck. :beer:

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
Yeah the 4x4 pan is designed for a truck with higher ground clearance. Get the moroso trans pan, it's completly flat on the bottom, and even tho my truck is slammed I have plently of ground clearance. If I'm not mistaking, the engine and transmission crossmembers still hang below the moroso oil and and trans pan.

BuckeyeLightnin

Established Member
i know that 4x4s sit much higher, i was saying that in those posts, the guys were talkin about having 2" and 4" drops....i am at stock height.

Dusten

Established Member
I have a 2/4 on my truck now and have had 0 issues, my last truck was stock and no issues either.

Users who are viewing this thread