5.0 Coyote SN95 swap??

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Ok, so I need a few opinions. Im REALLY thinking about selling my 331, and swapping in the new Coyote 5.0 from the 2011's. They are dimensionally very similar to the 4.6 mod motors, and I could make the engine fit pretty easily, and use the Ford Racing harness to get everything up and running. The only issue Id really forsee would be transmission fitment. Id LOVE to go with the 6spd that come in the new cars(Auto preferably, its a drag oriented car), but idk how it will fit in an SN95 hull. To my understanding the bellhousing has 4.6 bolt patterns, so a 4R70W may work if the 6spd doesnt..

All in all I think it would be a cool swap, and should move pretty good, seeing how my car is well over 500lbs lighter than a new GT. Im thinking with just intake, custom made headers/exhaust, and a tune it should go mid 11's with ease. And naturally Id spray the car :lol:

If anyone has any info that would help out, or insight feel free to add it. Thanks guys!!:thumbsup:

TEGEN

Established Member
Sounds like a great swap! I'd love to ditch the carbed 357 in my 93 notch & do the same thing. I'll probably wait until a few people go through the headaches of the swap & read some write ups.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Sounds like a great swap! I'd love to ditch the carbed 357 in my 93 notch & do the same thing. I'll probably wait until a few people go through the headaches of the swap & read some write ups.

The streetability is REALLY selling me, nothing like having a 10 second car that gets ~25mpg!

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
What about motor mounts? Do 4.6 mounts work on the 5.0 block? And if they do mount up, do they put the motor where it is supposed to be in the engine bay?

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
What about motor mounts? Do 4.6 mounts work on the 5.0 block? And if they do mount up, do they put the motor where it is supposed to be in the engine bay?

From what I know it shares very similar mounts, so Id have to buy a 4.6 K-member, and see where that puts the engine. Worse come to worse I could have new mounts fabbed up, but Im pretty certain the engine placement would be alright.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Was following your build up thread (great job btw)
Keep us posted. It's going to be sweet. :beer:

Thanks man I appreciate it! Hit a big wall progress-wise with working 2 jobs now, but Im hoping to put in a good amount of work soon!!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
It will cost if your one of the first ones unless you have some fab skills, header wise you could just buy them already made slap them in then see where it hits the k-member and make your marks and measurements to allow a good fit. If you have welding skills it should save you a ton of cash.

dodgeshadowchik

Established Member
LOL.... I was looking through the Ford Racing catalog today at work and thought the very same thing.. "how cool would it be to have the new 5.0 in where the old 5.0 sits"

I think the biggest problems, as mentioned, would be fabricating mounts and exhaust depending on what would work and what won't. Was thinking the electronics would be an issue as well.. but if Ford as a harness, that takes care of that!

I say got for it. If I had the extra cash, I'd definatly consider it!

stangman2880

Established Member
From what i have heard the new 5.0 the motor mounts the same as 4.6. So with that being said and i know the old 302 mounts are different. why wouldn't a 96-98 k-member not work? I'm not familiar with the 96-98, so i'm not sure if they bolt to the body the same as the 94-95 k-member. But to me it would make sense to use a 96-98 IF the new 5.0 bolts the same as the 4.6. Unless you are wanting to use a tubular k-member. This may be a useless post, but the 96-98 ideal just came to my mind.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I'd really like to see one of these swaps done. Hurry and you could go down in history as being the first to do the swap:lol1:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I'd wait to see what the limits of the 6spd auto are before swapping one in. Evolution took their full weight auto 2011 to the track yesterday, hopefully they post the results on their facebook page this morning. They were previously running 11.50s@120mph in a completely full weight car, (heated leather, backseats, navigation, shaker1000, etc, etc) with bolt-ons and a stall. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread