5.0 f-150?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
There was a show on stacy davids gears about the ram 5.7hemi and how fast and cheap it is. Couldn't you order a base f-150 with the 5.0 and supercharge it for the ultimate sleeper or is it a different based 5.0?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Wrong section, however I'll chime in. I drove both an ecoboost and 5.0 F-150 recently as I was looking in to that option.

The 5.0 simply doesn't belong in a pickup when you have the ecoboost option as well. The ecoboost is THAT good in the pickup. Huge torque over a broad RPM band, from way low in the rev count.

the 5.0 is a good motor, but kind of high strung for a pickup. In my opinion, the only reason it's in the line-up is because people want to hear a v8.

Now, with the hemi option, keep in mind that some of Dodge's claims aren't exactly an apples to apples comparison. Speaking specifically about he adds that state remove this, that and the other and you get a F150, thats highly misleading. Dodge is advertising there best hemi motor against ford's smallest v8 F-150. The comparable dodge is right in line with Ford's offering.

What they should be doing is advertising their biggest engine against Ford's, which is the 6.2, which is actually a bit more powerful than dodge's Hemi. Though to be fair it doesn't do as well on fuel mileage and is also limited production.

However when we're talking about pickups, torque rains supreme. This is where the ecoboost shines and all the more reason to go with that option in my opinion.

If you need more than 420 foot pounds at under 2000 revs, you need a diesel, not a gas engine.

redline

Established Member
i like the the 5.0 f150 . i am looking for some after market parts exhaust and i think i will do just a k/n drop in filter.

magyar86

MDR Performance
Established Member
I owned a f150 ecoboost for about a year. It is hands down king of the gas motors. I am in rental trucks all the time at one of my jobs and I would regularly get a 5.0 f150. The 5.0 compared to the eb is a turd. No offense to the 5.0 but it goes no where until 4k rpm and that is fine if it wasn't a full size truck that is made to haul heavy loads. I have done my fair share of towing 9k+ loads and usually I would jump in my f250 to pull those loads but the eb did it without any troubles and with minimal throttle. The braking isnt as good as a diesel due to it being lighter but as far as shear pulling power it has plenty to spare. I have only pulled about 5k with a 5.0 and even at that weight you had to get the rpms up to get it moving, not something I would like to be doing with my personal truck. I could only imagine what it would take to get 9k moving on free way or pulling out into traffic. Mods are finally coming around for the eb, edge has a good tuner and there is a good bit of exhaust to choose from. with tuner, 4in exhaust, and intake your in the 500+ tq range. the BW gt15 sized turbos are very small and im sure there will be upgrades for them from either garrett or BW that will simply swap in. I no longer have my truck as I was stupid and got every bell and whistle i could and didnt put near enough down and my monthly payments were through the roof so I decided to trade it in and get back into a muscle car (2012 GT 5.0). I will be getting another EB in the future but I am hoping they make a V8 version soon and then say bye to the diesel market. sorry kind of got off on a rant there but just thought I would give my opinion on the subject. EB is the way to go IMO, they all have there pros and cons so I guess in the end it all depends on what you are looking for.

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
You guys with your Eco boost are crazy,I also have driven both and for all out work horse yes I would give it to the Eco.Not every one does that and for performance with mods the. Eco boost is a MUTT.plain and simple! think about this put a blower,turbo or nos on a v8 or a 6 and what do you think is going to happen.2 turbos and all it makes is 365 smarten up.my nephew put a Roush blower on a 5.0 F150 it makes 533 hp and ran mid 11's and would tow a tank.

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
Having driven both, you can have the EB. I LOVE my 5.0 FX4. The EB didn't impress me at all. My buddy has an EB and we have raced 4 times and I won 3 of 4. Both trucks are FX4s with 3.73s so it was an even race. I'm eager to race a Hemi, but not many people buy those pieces of shit around here. The mileage is another thing. I'm getting 14.8-15.2 in the city and that is right there with what my buddies EB. If you're using a truck for towing all the time, you're better off with a 6.2 F250 than an f150. However, an f150 5.0 or EB will tow just fine for what most people need.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Rousch offers a kit for the new 5.0 F150. Google super charged 5.0 F150, there is a video of a 4x4 5.0 with a s/c and rousch has there dyno video too.

Rice Killa

Established Member
i like the the 5.0 f150 . i am looking for some after market parts exhaust and i think i will do just a k/n drop in filter.

I went with a 40 series flowmaster dumped and couldn't be happier. Removed the crappy metal shield from around the spare tire for a nice clean look. I constantly get compliments, but I do get a lil drone. But I usually just crank up my system so I can't hear it lol. I'm averaging about 14mpg city with my 26's which ain't too bad. I use to get about 17 mpg with my stock 18's.

magyar86

MDR Performance
Established Member
I know this is a dead thread but I didn't realize it had gotten responses.

Are you Seriously trying to compair a 5.0 with a after market blower to a bolt on EB and think ita impressive that the 5.0 has more horse power? Put twin 5857's on the EB and see what happens. The motor can handle just as much of not more than the 5.0. It has forged pistons and rods and a nitrated crank. Once someone start putting aftermarket turbos on these things they are gonna be nuts.

PhantomX

Established Member
Ah the old EB vs 5.0 debate. At the end of the day they are both great engines. I was reading an article in one of the rags where they did some towing with the 5.0 and it got nothing but praise.

Me personally I love the rumble of the V8 and I don't feel it in anyway is being overworked or seems like it's lumbering at all. As far as track times go they trucks are almost identical. They both run high 14's low 15's bone stock (depending on gearing). I drove both and the EB just didn't "feel" right in the truck. I've also owned a 2010 SHO with the same EB motor and while it was a strong runner it was lackluster in how it felt. It doesn't give you the same character as the V8 (or the same sound) and sound is a big deal. They also sound like crap (the EB) with Exhaust. You just can't make that motor sound good, believe me I tried (to the tune of over $1000). A simple tune and you get tons of power out of the 5.0 (same for the EB to be fair).

At the end of the day it's about having choices. If my only choice was an EB F150 I'd be driving a different truck. I don't need to haul 11,000lbs and I love the sound and feel of a V8.

As for gas mileage I do a mix of highway and city and I am averaging 18.6 in my 5.0 on the highway I'm getting 20mpg running just over 70mph. I spoke to a Platinum EB owner this weekend and he's averaging 15mpg, same style of driving. So I can't even give higher marks to the "better fuel economy V6" for that either...

But hey this argument will probably go on long after this and if they keep these motors around it'll turn into a "camaro vs mustang" battle with the lines clearly divided and the other party always screaming how right they were and wrong you were.

Just enjoy what you bought and be happy you have the means to do so...

TEGEN

Established Member
I've been driving a '12 FX4 Ecoboost for the last week, and I absolutely love it. The truck is almost luxury car quiet, even when you're flogging it. Towing feels nearly effortless.

I love the sound of a V8 as much as the next guy, but I use a truck as a mobile office where quiet is my preference. If I want sound, I'll get a new Boss or a GT500 :rockon:

Ever tried to talk on the Bluetooth with a V8 at 4500 rpms towing up a long grade? What's that? I couldn't hear you :shrug:

For me, driving an F150 ecoboost will have me forever jaded. I simply don't thing there is currently a more suitable engine for a half ton pickup.

If you need the sound, a 5.0 is nearly unbeatable. If you do alot of towing & want a very quiet interior - the ecoboost is the way to go. Just one guys opinion:beer:

PhantomX

Established Member
I've been driving a '12 FX4 Ecoboost for the last week, and I absolutely love it. The truck is almost luxury car quiet, even when you're flogging it. Towing feels nearly effortless.

I love the sound of a V8 as much as the next guy, but I use a truck as a mobile office where quiet is my preference. If I want sound, I'll get a new Boss or a GT500 :rockon:

Ever tried to talk on the Bluetooth with a V8 at 4500 rpms towing up a long grade? What's that? I couldn't hear you :shrug:

For me, driving an F150 ecoboost will have me forever jaded. I simply don't thing there is currently a more suitable engine for a half ton pickup.

If you need the sound, a 5.0 is nearly unbeatable. If you do alot of towing & want a very quiet interior - the ecoboost is the way to go. Just one guys opinion:beer:

I would agree with the towing aspect, 11,000 lbs is a lot and the EB does it well. But the 5.0 in stock trim is very very quiet as well, there isn't much difference in sound level in the cab between the two, the 5.0 only makes a little noise when your honkin on it but the EB is very quiet indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread