5.0L Big Bore Question

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
With all this talk on Modularfords.com about going up to 5.0 liters on a DOHC, I would like to know what type of power I would make with the following combo:

- Livernois Racing 5.0L Big Bore shortblock
(Stock heads and cams - ported intake mouth for single-blade tb)
- Livernois Racing High Volume Oil Pump
- Canton 4.6L Oil Pan (Any suggestions?)
- Canton Windage Tray (Any suggestions?)

- AFM N/A PowerPipe
- PRO-M UNIVER MAF
- Accufab Elliptical Bore Throttlebody

- Kooks 1 5/8" L/T's
- Dr. Gas O/R X-Pipe
- Flowmaster American Thunder 2-chamber Cat-Back

- MSD Stacker 8 Ignition
- DiabloSport Delta Chip (Maybe adding a little N20 later on )

Take your best guesstimate and give me any suggestions you may have?

How much could I get for my potential 2001 shortblock that only has 12,500 miles on it? Trying to recoup some of the $$$ for mods.

99BOSS

Established Member
I would guess 350-360 rwhp with stock heads, cams, and comp with the mods listed. I want to do this route too but I'm going to port my stock heads and prolly install the FR500 cam kit. I already have a new alum 4.6 block ready to go. Ideally I want to go with Eagle rods, J&E pistons, 9.8 comp and enjoy this N/A for a while. Then when funds permit, I want to put a Novi 2000 on it and shoot for 575 rwhp!! Later!

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
So, I'm gonna have to go with some type of heads/cam package to get 400rwhp or close to? What heads should I get? FR500 or ported stockers? Cams? Intake?

99BOSS

Established Member
Well, FRPP got 425 flywheel hp from their 5.0 DOHC that was at SEMA. But it was something like 11:1 comp. Also it had the FR500 heads, cams in it too I think. So if you had a built 5.0 shortblock, you have some options. You could buy the FR heads or find some stock 99-up heads. Ported stockers flow better than stock FRs but ported FR's would flow the best but your price of entry is higher on the FRs. With cams you have more choices. I think the FR500 cam kit that included new valves and hardware for $1400 or so is hard to beat. You simply put this kit on any 99-up head or FR500 head and your set. Plus it was designed for this engine! On the intake side, your limited again. You have to use the stock 99-up intake or wait and see what the FR500 intake looks like but its rumored to be something over 2K. Its a tricker piece than the stocker with variable runner control or some such gadgetry. But I think you could hit 400rwhp with a combo of the above pieces and still run on premium. I think 5.0 Magazine just did a 5.0 shortblock buildup last month and they were going to finish it this month but they were putting ported 2v heads on it and dyno it. This wouldnt tell you a lot. These engines are just now gaining steam so with some more time, we'll see some setups become a reality. Later!

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
SHM has a dyno sheet of a 302dohc- with stock '99heads,a "update" 99intake, longtubes,an x, roadrace cams,and their tune- that put about 360 to the wheels.

I've seen 330rwhp with a ported intake- (99) 4.6. I'd figure that a 302- with a ported intake and a p/p job on the heads- then some cams (and appropriate valvetraion pieces) would make at least 400rwhp. oh and a tune!

Users who are viewing this thread