5.0L conversions.

jfsram

Established Member
In the market for a 87-93 Mustang 5L. Looked a 2 today.
One average, needs work, but attractive price.
Second one, nice, but more money.
I'm looking at a 3rd one this week. A low mileage virgin but again, more money.

Now what's been really tempting me is an 87 4 cyl with a 5L in it. Fuel injected, 5 spd and an 8.8 rear.

What are the advantages and disadvantages in buying something like this?

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Do you know who done the work and if it was a quality swap? If you have problems with it can you get any help from them? The advantages are it may be a cheaper car. the disadvantages are numerous. How well of a swap was done? Did they put the bigger springs in the front to support the v8? assuming it's fuel injected so was everything wired correctly? Since it's fuel injected, did they upgrade the fuel pump? The answer to all of this is to get a mechanic friend to thoroughly look the car over and treat it like it's got the plague. If it's up to snuff and it's what you want, get it. Make sure you get the year and make of the car the drive train was pulled from as it could be helpful later in getting parts. I drove 1000 miles round trip to get a great looking 5.0 GT but the more I look into her now the more I find wrong. The problems aren't major but the nickel and dime stuff is adding up in a hurry. So, I'm telling you to look any of these cars over hard. Make sure what you find wrong you can fix and know what it's going to cost before hand. I got a fair car for a fair price all in all but she wasn't a steal by no means.

Iwannacobra04

New 'scared' SVT Poster
Established Member
I just did just the tranny swap, aod to t-5 and it was time consuming and there was alot of nickel and dime stuff...Save yourself the trouble and get a nice 5.0 for a decent price. Just my two cents!
Of course if you like working with your hands, get the 4 banger and have at it.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
There is no "advantage" performance wise. The only advantage will be having lower insurance since the VIN will read that it's a 4cyl. If you don't mind spending a lot of time on it, then go for it. Personally, if I was gonna do a conversion I'd like to put a lot more than a stock 5.0 in it.

Users who are viewing this thread