5.2l voo doo

DNelly

Since I've received the car, I've noticed a 'rattle' or 'clatter' from the engine. It is most noticeable when cold and does decrease a little after it is warmed up. Audible under light acceleration starting from about 1800rpm and continuing up to around 3000 until you can't hear it for exhaust noise, etc. It is loudest at about 2000rpm and will get slightly quieter if the throttle is backed off very slightly. This is right at cruise in 6th gear, too. Having built a lot of engines with pushrods, it sounds to me like valve train noise. On the other hand, I've not had much experience with OHC engines, so I'm not sure. Also, I've not heard valve train noise be rpm dependent. It doesn't seem to be detonation, which can be rpm dependent, since I've monitored the AFR and it looks fine. So, with this new engine, is this noise normal? Piston noise? Can any one answer me? Oil pressure and temps are fine and it goes to redline easily. Thanks

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
shelby zmax.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
New car settling in. If the "rattle" doesn't change pitch with engine RPM or relative to engine RPM, it's more than likely just the exhaust heat shields. If that is the case, it will go away in a few hundred miles after the shields have been heat cycled enough and enough rust has formed on the exhaust fasteners. The same thing happens with most brand new vehicles.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
lifter noise?

It isn't going to be easy to get any official confirmation but there was word of an oiling issue and your query would seem relevant. I was told that the "oil control" issue was witnessed on R models at high G's. How that relates to non-R models I cannot say but my understanding is that cars were somehow retrofitted to address the issue. I'm not sure if the following "hold" for the R model was related to what I had been told...

scan1.jpg

We also heard about sky high oil temps from a few journalists which has yet to bloom into an issue that everyone is familiar with. Maybe this coming summer when more of these cars are out there being tracked in extreme heat. There's an interesting separator recommendation in the owner's manual as well (second note at bottom).

GT350%20alignment%20settings.jpg

Voltwings

Established Member
Does it sound like a lightweight flywheel? I know light aftermarket ones can chatter like hell at low RPMs, and isnt the one in the 350 relatively "light" by OEM standards?

kgschrader

Established Member
The car in question is mine.
My dealer kindly posted the information about the noise.

I'm taking it in this morning for them to listen to it. I'll let y'all know what I find.

Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, I have 1200 miles on it. Still has the noise.

Kirby

kgschrader

Established Member
To answer others....

- I'm certain it's not the flywheel. I have three other cars with lightweight aluminum flywheels and besides, the noise comes from up front.

- The suggested few hundred miles isn't working as I have over 1200 miles on it and the noise is the same.
- It is definitely louder when cold, but never goes away.
- As for lifter noise, I know for certain what roller lifters, hydraulic rollers and solid flat tappet lifters and pushrod engines sound like. The other cars have them. The Voodoo is OHC, so I don't know what 'lifter noise' would sound like....
- I can't relate the information about the oiling issue to what I'm hearing. Haven't had it on the track yet. I use it for a daily driver.
- I've seen the thread comparing the GT500 and the GT350. Traded my '13 GT500 with 65,000 miles on it for the GT350.
No comparison when it comes to getting the power to the ground. Others have already commented on this.
Coming home from work today, the traction control was blinking all the way through 1st and 2nd on a nice back road. The ass end was getting loose, but I felt like I had complete control. With the GT500, I always felt like it was going to bite me any moment. Yeah, it's probably faster in a straight line, but I like the all around driving control the GT350 gives.

FWIW,
Kirby

Imatk

Established Member
Yep I've had a few of those "OH SH**" moments in my GT500. Mostly in cold weather... but it WILL bite you if you aren't careful.

cluscher

Established Member
Interesting how the dealer rarely hears or feels what you do until the third or fourth time. Post a video...will be helpful to hear what you're hearing.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
When the Boss302 first came out Ford issued a Special Service Message advising dealers about the noise the forged pistons can/will make.

Sounded like a very similar description of what's being discussed here.

Sounds like another SSM is in the making ...

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Shouldn't the forged piston v. cast block noise disappear after the engine comes up to operating temperature?

Users who are viewing this thread