5.4 4v B head build help

66F100Cobra

Established Member
Got a 1966 F100 stepside ready for motor to go in. Got a Mark 8 motor but want to put the heads on 5.4 block for the extra torque being as I'm going to be pulling a trailer with drag car. I have the means to build intake and eventually a single turbo setup. I enjoy turbos so it's a must. Need to know if the 5.4 2v timing chain will work on the intake cam gear of the B heads and would I still suffer in the low end torque on the 5.4 without the IMRC's? Also, read that the Nav DOHC heads have cooling between the exhaust port but do they suffer from overheating back cylinders like the early C heads? And would the exhaust cooling help me with the turbo setup? Thanks for any info.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
B heads are not what you want for tq. C heads will work much better for tq and mid range hp production. Combined with a stock Mach intake and adapters the mid range power can be significant.

Navi heads don't have cooling issues and its intake manifold is great for producing the kinda power you need. Using both the navi heads and intake would be the easiest/cheapest way to go. Installing some cobra cams advanced to a much lower LC will add a good amount of low and mid range power.

The 4v uses a very short (secondary) chain to drive the intake cams (connects the intake and exhaust cams) while the primary chain drives the exhaust cams. The 2v chain will not work.

Last edited:

66F100Cobra

Established Member
Good info. I can get Cont C heads really cheap. Will timing set for Nav work? Is there a way to get better cooling from them? Also read somewhere that there's a cam follower that has a bigger oiling hole but can't remember what they came on.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Here's a comparison of B and C headed combos with the same cams. The two higher power lines are C heads, the lower one is Bs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's a graph showing the same combo with the cams in the stock position and with the intake cams advanced to 108.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Good info. I can get Cont C heads really cheap. Will timing set for Nav work? Is there a way to get better cooling from them? Also read somewhere that there's a cam follower that has a bigger oiling hole but can't remember what they came on.

The continental heads will work and possibly the cams. Parts are interchangeable between the Navi and all 4.6 heads/cams/valvetrain.

If anything you want the follwer to have a smaller hole.

The pass side head cooling is fine. The driver side can be imporved by installing an outlet on the backside of the head and "Ying" it into the pipe that is connected to the backside of the water pump. The same type of outlet used on the passenger side can be used on the driver's head.

66F100Cobra

Established Member
Sounds better to just spring for the Nav head and intake that will bolt up. Will a Blackwood intake be better than the Nav intake? It's going to be N/A till I can fab the turbo setup and forge the bottom end, so would it be better to use a older block with higher comp pistons?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Sounds better to just spring for the Nav head and intake that will bolt up. Will a Blackwood intake be better than the Nav intake? It's going to be N/A till I can fab the turbo setup and forge the bottom end, so would it be better to use a older block with higher comp pistons?

Either block will work but power will be limited to around 450 with the stock internals.

The blackwood intake should be the same.

66F100Cobra

Established Member
Cool. Thanks for all the info. Big help. Read that the cams suffer from lack of oiling and that's why they use the cam followers with the bigger oiling hole. Not saying you're wrong just wanting more info. Trying to use the best parts I can without paying a thousand for Jesel followers.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The followers with smaller holes allow more oilt to get to the cam journals. Larger holes allow the lash adjusters to bleed off pressure thereby reducing the amount of oil making it to the cams.

Jesel followers are a waste of money as they will add little to no power.

BTW, 4Vs do not have any cam oiling problems.

66F100Cobra

Established Member
That's good to know. Thanks again for all the info. Going to run the 2v heads till I can get a Nav setup then.

Users who are viewing this thread