5.4 cylinder head used on a 5.8?

musclemustangcb

Established Member
To my understanding the 5.4 cylinder head is in fact the exact same casting as the 5.8 cylinder head. The difference lies within the coolant passage drilling in the 5.8 head.

My question is...if one had a set of 5.4 heads, could they be used on a 5.8 shortblock?

I already have 5.4 heads...have a 5.8 shortblock opportunity....would like to use what I have if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red gt500

Established Member
what if i had 5.4 head and 5.4 bored out to 5.8
can i use stock 5.8 head gasket ?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you have to, or at least an aftermarket gasket intended for the larger bore. The 5.8 is an 1/8" larger bore diameter and a 5.4 gasket is not likely to be wide enough and might even be compromised by using it with the larger bore diameter. I'm not sure you can bore an iron block to that diameter without using sleeves. I don't believe there is enough material left in the cylinders.

red gt500

Established Member
I lnow guys that 5.4 head gaskit wont work on 5.8 .. But what I mean is that the 5.8 oem head gaskit and the upgraded frpp head gaskit has the coolent passage hols in the gaskit it self would that effect anything ?
I know its confusing

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Those tiny holes for the extra cooling passage in the head should be effectively sealed off with either gasket. I'm running a 5.8 short block in my '12 with the original heads. I haven't had any issues using a 5.8 head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread